"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-07-2006, 11:25 AM   #1
Head Chef

Question: Exercise Bike vs. a Treadmill

I am contemplating buying an exercise bike. I was planning on getting the kind which you ride upright (like a regular bike, not the recumpent kind which lets you sit down).

The problem areas I want to target are my thighs, bum and lower waist. One of my friends says the exercise bike won't do anything to reduce my bum.
She says I should get a treadmill instead. I'd rather get the bike because 1) it takes up less room, 2) I'd be more prone to use it and 3) its less expensive.

The exercise bike I'm looking at is a Schwin, Sears has it on sale for $399. I don't want to throw $$ out the window, does anyone here use an exercise bike? Thoughts/comments/advice would be much appreciated.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:34 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I vote for getting what you would be more prone to use.

I struggle with sticking with any exercise program. Funny though, just this week I drug out my old taped tv shows of Body Electric. Now those exercizes work. They are muscle toning exercises and once you lose the body fat, nice muscles will appear. I suggest you do 3 things; eat healthy, aerobic exercise like the bike, and muscle toning.

Oh, I have a dusty exercise bike, too boring for me. I prefer my real bicycle.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:38 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I would undoubtedly go for a good spinning bike. It is designed to let you exercise in various positions, standard, running, crouching etc. which will give the routine more variety, and make your exercise more interesting and challenging. Instead of mapping out the program electronically at the beginning, you will adjust the resistence manually with a knob, depending on how you are feeling, or what you are doing, so you are in control. Accompanied with a good music to motivate you, it will give you really a enjoyable and rewarding training.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:28 PM   #4
Head Chef

I would have to agree with going for what you are more prone to use more often. And I prefer a real bike as well. For $400 you can get a nice real bike. Then get into a local biking club to keep you motivated and find some good trails and places to ride.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:28 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

I agree with what Beth said--what you will stick to. You may have to do other target exercises for problem areas. Those two will definitely get the cardio going however, for the first part of a good workout.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:31 PM   #6
Head Chef

Anything you do will be better than nothing! There are specific exercises you can do (like lunges) that will specifically target the buns.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:03 PM   #7
Head Chef

Thanks guys for all of the advice.
I have a real bike but unfortunately I don't get to ride it often. The weather here is crappy 6 + months out of the year, thats why I am thinking of getting an exercise bike.

I don't want to pile on any extra pounds this winter and the winter is when my exercise level goes down, down, down.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:08 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I have an exercise bike toots...
I swear every morning that I'll use it...
I lie to myself more than I tell the truth. Bad.

Get what you think you'll use. I think that a treadmill would be better exercise if you'll use it but... if you won't then it's a waste of money.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:17 PM   #9
Head Chef

You can also look for ways to incorporate exercise into your daily routine. Things like taking the stairs, parking as far as possible from where you are going, etc.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:38 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Get the bike. If you don't have a treadmill, you could go for a walk.