"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-22-2007, 05:56 AM   #11
Head Chef

You need a tissue diagnosis. Get the biopsy.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:53 AM   #12
Everymom

Jeninga I forgot to mention that all those therapies were Vet suggested. Before you go leaping to a biopsy though, please do go get a second opinion. Your first vet may have overlooked something. I know its expensive, but it is important.

And Bilby, respectfully disagreeing with you on the licking thing. It is NOT helpful to some healing processes. Cats and dogs can both lick until they give themselves further issues to complicate the initial injury. I suggested covering only as a measure to keep the wound clean. Since it is a paw that can be infected in the litter box this is an important step.

HOWEVER, none of us are Vets Jeninga, just folks who've had pets with all kinds of weird things happen. Please do go find a good one and get that 2nd opinion. Best of luck to you!

Old 12-22-2007, 11:09 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Hey Alix - that's fine!! I'm a big girl and nobody has to agree with me at all!! I can take it. :-) Irrespectively and as you said, none of us are vets (well to my knowledge - I'm sure there are vets that cook!LOL) and the second opinion is the most important thing.

I'd also look at a blood test before a biopsy as while they are costly, they are cheaper than a biopsy often and depending on the vet, can be a prerequisite anyway.

We all worry about our pets and want the best for them.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:15 AM   #14
Everymom

Thanks Bilby! Excellent words of advice.

Jeninga, please do let us know how it all turns out. As you can see we are a bunch of very concerned pet owners.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:48 AM   #15
Sous Chef

I might go to PetSmart and get the collar. The vet I took her to said don't bother because cats are so agile she'll still be able to lick it. I'm not going to bandage it, I saw a little wet spot where her foot was last night so it's apparently still draining.

I'm going to try to get to my regular vet this week. I have no problem with the drive, the problem is work. I just graduated school and got this job 2 weeks ago. I've already left early twice because of the cat. I'm afraid I'll be pushing my luck if I do it again. I have to be at work 30 min after they open so that's not an option. He has no weekend hours.

Thanks for all the good advice, I'll let you all know what I find out.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:56 AM   #16
Everymom

Jeninga, if it is still draining then do try the epsom salt bath. Thats what my vet had me do with our cat who's had MULTIPLE paw injuries. It really does work. Draining is a GOOD thing!
Old 12-22-2007, 01:09 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
...First, I would replace her litter with shredded newspaper for the next week or so. I know it's a pain but litter can irritate and keep foot wounds from healing. It's what they do in veterinary hospitals when cats have foot surgery...
When our reggie was having nail issues, our vet suggested this as well as using oatmeal. Which ever is easier for you to get ahold of (we don't have a daily newspaper so shredded newspaper was hard to come by).

Hope she's feeling better!
Old 12-22-2007, 01:18 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Jeninga, if it is still draining then do try the epsom salt bath. Thats what my vet had me do with our cat who's had MULTIPLE paw injuries. It really does work. Draining is a GOOD thing!
I'm about to go to the store (still trying to decide what I want for dinner tonight) Can I get the salt at the grocery store? Or do I need to go someplace like Walgreens?

Then, what eactly do I do? What ratio of salt to water should I use? Should it be warm or cold? What if she absolutly will not deal with it? Should I hold her foot in it til she starts shredding me and do it every so often throughout the day? And last, since it's salt, will it sting her?
Old 12-22-2007, 04:42 PM   #19
Traveling Welcome Wagon

The slow-healing wound makes me wonder. Ask your vet to check your cat's blood glucose levels. Cats (and dogs) get diabetes just like humans do. I found that it is much more common than one would believe.

Barbara
Old 12-22-2007, 04:51 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Never thought of that Barbara. I know some mentioned feline AIDS and such but she has been screened for that so I know that's not it. I called my vet to see if they had a message about whether or not they're gonna be open Monday. I'm hoping maybe they'll be there. I got the epsom salt. I'm Gonna wait for Alix to answer my questions before I do it.