Question for cat owners...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not Alix, but I googled for you, jen. Check this out Epsom Salts

Warm or room temp water. It won't sting. You can make up a gallon of it, and just put a little in a small bowl, and keep it on your lap, with your cat, for as long as she will put up with it.

My cat would last about 2 seconds.

Good luck!

Lee

Jeninga, can you afford for the vet to take the cat over night? I know sometimes that's my best option. That way you drop the cat off just before they shut and don't have an actual consultation, they just do what's needed the next day and you pick her up just before they shut again.

I know we have all been saying to seek a second opinion, but how about just giving the treating vet a call and ask why the foot is still as it is? Tell them that you aren't happy with the progress of your cat's return to health. See what they say. It can't hurt and they might come good and bail you out. If you have doubts about what they say, you can always post here again with their advice and we can give you our two cents worth on whether you should follow it or go to the other vet. You can't afford to lose your job cos you won't be able to pay the vet's bills anyway then.

:)Another thought is she might have allergies causing her to lick constantly because of the itch resulting in an open wound making it open to infection.

Whoo...sorry, we had guests come over so I was offline for a bit. I didn't check the link, but I recall about 1 tbsp to about a liter of water. (Is that close to the link advice?) Warm, as warm as kitty will tolerate. The best way to do it is to get them all mellow on your lap and then ease their affected leg into the water. Often they won't notice it for a bit. And yes, hold in there as long as you can. My Tuxedo was good for about 10 minutes or so. If you can repeat a few times, it will be really good. I think it eases the itch too. Tux seemed to chew at his foot less after I soaked it.

thats how cats and other animals take care of their wounds by licking them..they are cleaning it and licking pus from their wounds..they will continue until its healing..its normal

Wow, poor kitty... Same thing happend to my cat last year and the infection went up into his back leg. It was a thorn that broke off and his paw healed over it and a tiny tiny part of the thorn was still in there. The Doc opened up his paw and found the tiny part of the thorn. He had a few stitches in his back paw and the Doc gave me a bootie to put on his back leg. I had to wrap the bootie with tape, he would spend hours trying to chew it off. He started chewing on his leg, so I just let him lick it, then he pulled out the stitches. Quite a hair-raising experence.

I adopted a cat a couple of months ago. About 3 weeks ago I noticed her back paw getting a little red and swollen. I took her to the vet a few days later when I could get an appointment. She had a low grade fever and the vet basicaly said it was infected. She couldn't imagine how an inside cat could cut/puncture her paw. Honestly, neither could I. I don't know how she did it.

Anyway, she got 10 days of Amoxicillian and we called it a day. This was on a Tuesday. By Monday of the next week it wasn't looking any better. I took her back in. She still had the fever (she was still playing and eating and drinking like usual so they weren't concerned). The vet gave her a shot of cortizone to help with the itching. We figured it was just taking some time to heal because she was constantly licking at it. Got another 10 days of meds and went home.

It is now some time later and it's still the same. I have 3 days of meds left. The vet said that if it doesn't heal, the next step was to take a biopsy to see if there was something else going on. My dilema is this... Let me say first off, I would never deny an animal, especially one of mine, medical attention of any kind. I am, in fact, saving money to get a hip replacement for my Akita who was diagnosed with hip dysplasia in October. Anyway, has anyone had a cat with a similar situation? I still think it's not healing because she licks and bites at it constantly. On top of that she's walking in her litter box with a moist sore. I clean it every morning but there's still bacteria in it. I don't really have the money to do this. I can put it on a credit card and I will if I have to but I'm looking for some advice first.

So has anyone else had a cat with some kind of injury or infection that took a very long time to heal? If anyone wants to see what it looks like I'll be more than happy to take a picture.

sounds to me like there is something in her paw. maybe a sewing needle, or what ever. maybe vet should open it up and check. you could put shredded paper in cat box instead of sand for a while. that way no little bits of litter can get in it and make it worse. my cat kahla had claws removed[will never do that again to any cat] anyway he did same thing chewing at it and trying to remove the stitches. if u put a disinfectant on it that will help. try putting neospronia on wound and really put lots of gauze and tape. cats are tough to treat, but that might help. good luck

babe

repeat

i should have read all the posts , before i posted. looks like a lot of people said same basic thing that i did. once again good luck.

babe

p.s. i thinks grass seed or a fox tail could have been brought into house on someones shoes or jeans.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom