"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

My 4 year old used to the the best eater in the world, but lately has become very picky. We do not stress about it too much as she is healthy and gets what she needs. We make sure that she has enough of the things that she does like on hand so that we can feed her well. We do not give her much in the way of unhealthy snacks or sweets. Her snacks consist of things like fruit or yogurt or things like that.

Some tricks that have worked for us are:

Reverse psychology. When I make something that she refuses to try then I turn the tables on her. "Rachel I made these brussles sprouts for mommy and me. You are not allowed to have any. These are for the grownups only and I don't want you asking to try them". That almost always guarantees that she will be begging for some brussel sprouts in the next 5 seconds. And even if she just eats one and decides she really does not like it then at least she ate that one. At her body size, that aint bad.

We will do competitions. Who can eat their brussel sprouts the fastest. Lets have a race. This one does not work as well as the reverse psychology, but it does occasionally work.

This one works the best for us though. We name the food and make a game out of it. Brenda brussel sprout wants to go down into your belly. Next up is Billy brussel sprout and he missed Brenda and wants to see her. Bart brussel sprout can't be away from his brother Billy etc. Rachel loves this and will eat everything on her plate when we do this. It becomes tedious coming up with names when it is something small and plentiful like peas, but it works.

Try cooking things in a variety of ways. My mom used to steam brussel sprouts and I could not stand them. I now roast them at high heat and they have become one of my favorite foods.

Use dips. Kids love to dip things. Serve a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup on the side in a little dish that they can dip the sandwich into. Serve raw veggies with dressing on the side to dip. Serve healthy chicken strips with ranch dressing on the side to dip etc.

Talk to your child and try to find out what it is about the particular food it is that they do not like. My daughter all of a sudden stopped eating pizza. When we asked why she told us she did not like pizza sauce. We asked if it was made with pizza juice instead of pizza sauce would that matter and she said yes it would. The next time we got pizza we told her that it was made with pizza juice, not pizza sauce. She ate it up and loved it. Every time we get pizza now she asks if it has sauce or juice.
Along the same lines, when I was about her age I would not eat eggs. My mom asked what it was I did not like about them. I told her it was the color. She asked what color I wanted and I said green. My mom started making my eggs with green food coloring and I could not be happier, until she made the mistake of telling me that they taste the same and she was just using food coloring. I have not eaten eggs since that day

Old 04-15-2009, 02:35 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
My 4 year old used to the the best eater in the world, but lately has become very picky. We do not stress about it too much as she is healthy and gets what she needs. We make sure that she has enough of the things that she does like on hand so that we can feed her well. We do not give her much in the way of unhealthy snacks or sweets. Her snacks consist of things like fruit or yogurt or things like that.

Some tricks that have worked for us are:

Reverse psychology. When I make something that she refuses to try then I turn the tables on her. "Rachel I made these brussles sprouts for mommy and me. You are not allowed to have any. These are for the grownups only and I don't want you asking to try them". That almost always guarantees that she will be begging for some brussel sprouts in the next 5 seconds. And even if she just eats one and decides she really does not like it then at least she ate that one. At her body size, that aint bad.

We will do competitions. Who can eat their brussel sprouts the fastest. Lets have a race. This one does not work as well as the reverse psychology, but it does occasionally work.

This one works the best for us though. We name the food and make a game out of it. Brenda brussel sprout wants to go down into your belly. Next up is Billy brussel sprout and he missed Brenda and wants to see her. Bart brussel sprout can't be away from his brother Billy etc. Rachel loves this and will eat everything on her plate when we do this. It becomes tedious coming up with names when it is something small and plentiful like peas, but it works.

Try cooking things in a variety of ways. My mom used to steam brussel sprouts and I could not stand them. I now roast them at high heat and they have become one of my favorite foods.

Use dips. Kids love to dip things. Serve a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup on the side in a little dish that they can dip the sandwich into. Serve raw veggies with dressing on the side to dip. Serve healthy chicken strips with ranch dressing on the side to dip etc.

Talk to your child and try to find out what it is about the particular food it is that they do not like. My daughter all of a sudden stopped eating pizza. When we asked why she told us she did not like pizza sauce. We asked if it was made with pizza juice instead of pizza sauce would that matter and she said yes it would. The next time we got pizza we told her that it was made with pizza juice, not pizza sauce. She ate it up and loved it. Every time we get pizza now she asks if it has sauce or juice.
Along the same lines, when I was about her age I would not eat eggs. My mom asked what it was I did not like about them. I told her it was the color. She asked what color I wanted and I said green. My mom started making my eggs with green food coloring and I could not be happier, until she made the mistake of telling me that they taste the same and she was just using food coloring. I have not eaten eggs since that day
green eggs and ham? i stopped eating eggs for awhile when i was a kid because i got a piece of shell in scrambled eggs once. but i out grew it. my oldest girl hates cooked cabbage so i started shredding raw cabbage and tossing it with my homemade dressing. i think this way may be a bit more healthy than cooked.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:38 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
my oldest girl hates cooked cabbage so i started shredding raw cabbage and tossing it with my homemade dressing.
My daughter does not like cooked cabbage either. Last night she was not eating her veggies. All of a sudden she decided she didn't like corn (one of her favorites a few months ago). I went to the fridge and put some sauerkraut on my plate, but did not offer her any. Before I knew it she was asking for some and asking what it was. Next thing I know she is eating 3 helpings worth.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:43 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
My daughter does not like cooked cabbage either. Last night she was not eating her veggies. All of a sudden she decided she didn't like corn (one of her favorites a few months ago). I went to the fridge and put some sauerkraut on my plate, but did not offer her any. Before I knew it she was asking for some and asking what it was. Next thing I know she is eating 3 helpings worth.
good deal!! nice switch-a-roo!! but my girl won't eat saurerkraut either. she will eat Brussels sprouts sometimes, if i shred them and saute them with bacon. but she has to be in the mood for bacon which also isn't very often.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:17 PM   #15
Everymom

ellakav, welcome to parenthood!!! LOL. That one issue I am sure causes more lost sleep in the first few years of their lives than any other.

We are all going to say the same things, (easy to say, not so easy to do) which are basically he is just fine. He will eat all of what he needs over a period of days or even weeks. He sounds like his percentiles are just right. Jabbur said it best about his food intake. Little boogers just like to make us mental don't they?

I have one critically picky daughter who was in the 5th percentile for weight most of her life. She is perfectly healthy and fine, just skinny and picky.

Best advice I can give you is to not be too hardnosed around food. Put food out, and just relax. Make one or two hard and fast rules but then let the rest go. Our one rule was that you have to "taste" everything on the table except ONE item. You could categorically refuse that one item no questions asked, but then had to at least taste everything else. Worked really well here. Some sneaky person would always then have at least 2 veggie dishes on the table.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:30 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
ellakav, welcome to parenthood!!! LOL. That one issue I am sure causes more lost sleep in the first few years of their lives than any other.

We are all going to say the same things, (easy to say, not so easy to do) which are basically he is just fine. He will eat all of what he needs over a period of days or even weeks. He sounds like his percentiles are just right. Jabbur said it best about his food intake. Little boogers just like to make us mental don't they?

I have one critically picky daughter who was in the 5th percentile for weight most of her life. She is perfectly healthy and fine, just skinny and picky.

Best advice I can give you is to not be too hardnosed around food. Put food out, and just relax. Make one or two hard and fast rules but then let the rest go. Our one rule was that you have to "taste" everything on the table except ONE item. You could categorically refuse that one item no questions asked, but then had to at least taste everything else. Worked really well here. Some sneaky person would always then have at least 2 veggie dishes on the table.
good job i did the same thing. but i did the one bite of everything thing. i didn't get to many gripes. my little one liked almost everything from day one especially hot and spicey. at 9 months she stole a piece of cajun steak off my plate when i looked way. when i turned around she was sucking on it with a big grin!! and she still likes hot stuff.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:16 PM   #17
Sous Chef

there's been a lot of great stuff in here. and it is common sense. I just
get worried and then I get frustrated, ya know? there are 4 kids in the
family, but the youngest is the only one we have full-time. a his, mine
and ours marriage! and I know he tries to work me. and yeah, he
sometimes wins. but look at the picture of him I posted! how can I
resist that little moosh?
seriously, though. he's the baby, but unmanageable and bratty kids
who run the show are intolerable to me, and I refuse to raise one.
I don't coax or cajole. I don't threaten or force, either because that
is what my parents did to me and as a result there are some things
that I can't even LOOK at to this day! I just give him 2 choices, if he
doesn't eat I go about my business. and then I obsess over it after
he's down for the night!! I know, pathetic, huh?
Old 04-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #18
Head Chef

My mom finally figured out that I REALLY didn't like cream of wheat when I puked it up in my bowl at the table. I tried to go to the sink, then thought I could make it to the bathroom, then back to the sink... too late, ended up back at the table and threw up in the bowl.
ha! Must have been in jr. high or high school at the time.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:20 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
My mom finally figured out that I REALLY didn't like cream of wheat when I puked it up in my bowl at the table. I tried to go to the sink, then thought I could make it to the bathroom, then back to the sink... too late, ended up back at the table and threw up in the bowl.
ha! Must have been in jr. high or high school at the time.

it's lima beans, canned and frozen mixed vegetables and
peas for me!
Old 04-17-2009, 01:22 AM   #20
Everymom

ellakav, we are ALL like that. We all worry and obsess over what our kids do and don't eat. You are not alone. And it does get better, really it does. For yourself, make sure he has lots of healthy choices. For him, make sure theres fun stuff in there sometimes too. Hugs! We Moms have to stick together.