Question for people who live in very cold areas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our area isn't really cold enough to warrant a block heater. However, it's cold enough in the winter and hot enough in the summer to justify a remote starter.

Remote starters are great for having a nice warm car to get into in the winter or to start melting the snow and ice off the windows before you go out to clean snow off the car. In the summer, you never have to get into a super hot car that's been sitting in the sun all day. Think shorts and hot leather seats.

That's why I've never had leather seats! ;)

So you see Cave, it is just a matter of learning from childhood. You watch what your parents do and just add to it as you get older. Just a matter of common sense. There is a piece of equipment for every problem. Deep snow drifts? Snow shoes. Dog sleds. Bundle up warm. And that goes for your car as well. You get used to it. It can't be all that bad. Look at how many folks leave the comfort of their homes and head for the mountains and more snow and cold so they can go skiing. :angel:

Is three days enough? Some areas of Michigan are still without power over a week after the ice storm on Dec. 21.

When I lived in Michigan, my stepmother suggested keeping a coffee can containing a baggie of tea lights and matches in the car during the winter. Light a tea light in the coffee can and it will keep the entire inside of the car warm. Handy if you have to stay in the car for an extended period.

My list is for what I can expect if I am stuck in my car and how long rescue is apt to be. YMMV...

I now have a truck with remote start and love it. Its nice to have a cool cab in summer and a warm one in winter.
It will run 15 minutes before it will shut itself off.

My Jeep is like that. Love the remote start. Can even do it from my phone if I'm too far from it like I am when I'm up in our 5th floor condo and the truck is in the garage 6 floors down.

So you see Cave, it is just a matter of learning from childhood. You watch what your parents do and just add to it as you get older.

Like those of us who grew up in hurricane zones. My wife was wondering what the heck I was doing when we were in Florida during Hurricane Jeanne and I started filling sinks and tubs with water before the winds got too strong, once I knew we were going to get hit. When I explained that water is pumped to the house by electric pumps and that the water may not be potable after a storm she understood.

I didn't grow up here, but I learned early on that, living in hurricane country, we're advised to have on hand a week's worth of food, medicine, water, etc., for each person and other supplies like ice, propane for gas grills, candles, matches, full gas tanks, etc. We bought a generator a few years ago because one of the meds I take requires refrigeration.

After Hurricane Isabel, we lost water for five days; a pumping station was flooded and had to be shut down. I had filled a tub with water and we were able to flush the toilet with it.

We also have to decide whether to evacuate, and where to go if we do. It's less likely we'll be stuck in the car and more likely it might be flooded. We usually park one near a shelter where it's less likely to flood.

Last edited:
Each area on the globe has their own emergency packs. Down south the problem is hurricanes and tornadoes. Up north it is the winter weather. If you are smart, you listen to the experts. When they tell you to leave town, you leave. When they tell you to prepare for the worst, you prepare. Forget the "Oh, it won't happen to me" thinking. Because if you think it will happen to your next door neighbor, it will happen to you also. Snowflakes and cold winds know no boundaries. Neither do hurricanes or tornadoes. You keep that emergency pack there year round and replenish it if needed. If you don't believe me, then ask the old timers who have been through some horrific weather conditions. And BTW, don't forget to add to that stash of food, food for your pets. Make sure they are safe and taken care of also. You don't want to have to make the rounds of shelters looking for your pet. :angel:

Layers. Lots and lots of layers. Starting in November and top it off in January. It takes 2 hours to get ready, you get someplace. It takes about as much time to unbundle and by then it's time to start the process over to get ready to go home again.

One of the many days we got snow last week, the day it was just a light dusting. A neighbor hauled out his leaf blower and used that to blow the snow off the side walks and his driveway. Beats shoveling.

I love the stereotypical idea of Canadians frolicking in the snow. Images of people skating, skiing, etc......You never see the other 34,999,999 people hiding in their houses waiting for spring...lol:LOL:

When we moved to the Twin Cities in Minn. from Hamilton,On back in the 50's people had a hard time believing we were actually now living farther north.:LOL:

We got the same amount of snow, but it was colder. My brother would step outside with wet hair and have it freeze in place... He hated hair goop.

Another tip/reminder for people who live in areas that have fluctuating temps.... gas line anti freeze!

We are coming into a cold snap this week and for once I actually remembered to fill up and dump in a bottle before it happens. Nothing more aggravting having to wait 20/30 min. before the car will start while the anti freeze works it way thru.

We used to run a mechanics lead light or trouble light out to the car and leave it in the engine compartment with a 100 watt light bulb burning overnight. The light gave off just enough heat to keep the frost out of the engine and kept the oil from turning to molasses. I also carried a bucket of sand or kitty litter, a short handled shovel, a candle, a large sheet of cardboard, a couple candy bars and a fifty dollar bill.

The only things that never made it to spring were the candy bars and the fifty dollar bill! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Today I have nothing but a credit card and the OnStar lady!

It may take three days for the person, the OnStar Lady sent, to get to you. I would continue to keep emergency supplies in my car. Winter driving should not be a picnic, but it can turn into one quickly.

It may take three days for the person, the OnStar Lady sent, to get to you. I would continue to keep emergency supplies in my car. Winter driving should not be a picnic, but it can turn into one quickly.

At this point in my life I don't go anywhere that a pizza delivery boy wouldn't go, sort of like a modern day Saint Bernard!

Delivery in 30 minutes or its free, who needs a tow truck!:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I do think people should carry two or three days worth of pills and medical supplies with them during the winter, ya never know.

At this point in my life I don't go anywhere that a pizza delivery boy wouldn't go, sort of like a modern day Saint Bernard!

Delivery in 30 minutes or its free, who needs a tow truck!:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I do think people should carry two or three days worth of pills and medical supplies with them during the winter, ya never know.

So, no jaunts to the outer reaches of the county for a lark? :LOL: Good idea. We watched the road conditions carefully when I had to go to Helena last month. My co-worker was impressed that I had a survival pack for her, too.

I knew practically nothing about really cold weather before an amazing trip to Yellowstone in Feb. of 2011. This was part of that trip story...

"We now understand what it is to be truly cold at -24F; however it was such a privilege to see this "national treasure" as few tourists experience, in the dead of winter with bright beautiful sunshine every day. The raw and frigid beauty of the animals and scenery will be remembered forever.
Believe me; we have a whole new respect for all of you who live your daily lives in
frigid temperatures. Just getting dressed for the day takes so much time!
The night we got home we were watching the news, and the weather forecast for the next day was 80 degrees.
I turned to Steve and said "That's 100 degrees warmer than yesterday!
In the morning we quickly dressed in our usual cotton shirts and shorts, glad to be home"

You kind of get used to it. I don't usually even have to look at the thermometer to know how cold it is. My dogs have no problem letting me know. When I let them out in the morning to do their business and it's below zero, they will be back barking to come in within two minutes. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom