"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #11
Head Chef

3 days of canned food. Certainly makes sense, but I'd bring a can opener too. LOL

Old 12-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
3 days of canned food. Certainly makes sense, but I'd bring a can opener too. LOL
That's in there, too!

Old 12-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Now you're talking. We used to make them out of the half pint milk cartons, from the milk served at school.
You must habr built bigger fires
Old 12-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We used to use empty milk cartons, back when they were coated with wax. I would be afraid to burn today's plastic coated milk cartons.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
You must habr built bigger fires
They were only about an inch thick. Used to add sawdust, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
We used to use empty milk cartons, back when they were coated with wax. I would be afraid to burn today's plastic coated milk cartons.
I wouldn't think of using the plastic ones unless it was just as a mold. School with milk served was in the 60's for me if that helps with a time frame.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

My mom had a '92 Buick that wouldn't start below 15 degrees F, so she had a block heater. I remember they drove it down here and someone asked them if it was an electric car because they saw the plug dangling underneath!

I remember on below zero days, if I didn't let my car idle for 10-15 minutes before driving it, I would have to wait for the automatic transmission to shift, like it was moving through cold molasses. Shift into reverse, wait 15 or so seconds for it to get there, shift into drive, wait another 10-15 seconds.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #17
Executive Chef

My car has a block heater. I don't need to use it now as the car is garaged, but a few times before having a garage when we had a week or two of really cold weather I would plug It in and it made a huge difference in how easy the car was to start and how fast the heater started pumping warm air. That was a bonus as I didn't work very far away and the car would still be cold when I arrived at work, when it hadn't been plugged in. Brrrr! It has also been handy sometimes visiting family in colder climbs and on ski trips. The car was two years old when we bought it and we didn't realize right away that it had a block heater.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Our area isn't really cold enough to warrant a block heater. However, it's cold enough in the winter and hot enough in the summer to justify a remote starter.

Remote starters are great for having a nice warm car to get into in the winter or to start melting the snow and ice off the windows before you go out to clean snow off the car. In the summer, you never have to get into a super hot car that's been sitting in the sun all day. Think shorts and hot leather seats.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I once had a diesel car that had glow plugs. There was a plug and cord to power them.

I now have a truck with remote start and love it. Its nice to have a cool cab in summer and a warm one in winter.
It will run 15 minutes before it will shut itself off.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
All the things Taxy said, plus three days worth of canned food, full water bottles, camp stove with sterno, matches, lighters, bag full of dryer lint , sleeping bags for each person riding, extra clothes for layering and good boots. Never know when you will get stuck and need to walk out. I also buy extra cat litter and just store it in the car for the winter, it adds weight and can be used for traction.

I've seen block heaters, but never used one.
Is three days enough? Some areas of Michigan are still without power over a week after the ice storm on Dec. 21.

When I lived in Michigan, my stepmother suggested keeping a coffee can containing a baggie of tea lights and matches in the car during the winter. Light a tea light in the coffee can and it will keep the entire inside of the car warm. Handy if you have to stay in the car for an extended period.