Question for people who live in very cold areas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Steve uses his dogs as a thermometer. I can go one better!

My car will NOT start if it's below 34-35 degrees F.!

Now, before suggestions start pouring in let me tell you what I've had done/replaced first and tell you what it isn't.:)

It isn't the battery.
It isn't the fuel pump. New one.
It isn't a whole lot of computer checked 'stuff'. I have my invoices but can't remember what they were off hand.

I spent almost $1000 at what I think is a reputable repair garage. (They thought it might be fuel pump so I replaced it. It wasn't.)

Why I think they're honest----- the owner/ mechanic got so interested in my 'case' that he made several trips to my home to check out some things. No charge!

They would keep it overnight at the garage just so they could check it out in a cold morning. No charge.

Fortunately, I live where mornings (by the time I'm ready to go anyplace) the temps are often above 35 degrees so---- no problema.

It's an old (1998 Chevy Cavalier) that I bought used in NM. It gives me absolutely NO problems otherwise.

Just pouts when it's below 35 degrees.

Two years ago I posted in many many automobile forums and outlined my problem. Most of those who answered obviously hadn't read my precise explanation. :ohmy: Those that seemed to understand had suggestions that didn't work.

It may be in the electrical/computer department but I'm not willing to spend the money on finding out----- nope it isn't THAT node. :LOL:

I can't put a block heater on it on predicted cold nights because I live in an apartment. If there were such a thing as a battery operated block heater I doubt I could attach and un-attach it.

I thought of an old sleeping bag, even! But never tried that.:)

I could buy another used car and that might have more problems than this one gives me, only less predictable. So, no.

Actually Steve, I was born not far from where you live, in Sauk Centre. My mom said that night in December it was -63F. That was my first and last cold winter as we left for California the following summer. ;)

Last edited:
I think the only cars that really have problem starting nowadays are the diesel engine. Otherwise just make sure that you r gas tank is at least half full or more and you are good. The other day my wife's car did not wanted to start, but she was almost down to nothing with gas and her car has an old battery, not sure which one had more affect on the problem.

It's an old (1998 Chevy Cavalier) that ...

right there that is your problem, Chevy. Nothing personal and I know I am going to get myself into trouble with what I have to say, but Chevy in my book is just a tiny bit better than Yugo. :LOL:

I think the only cars that really have problem starting nowadays are the diesel engine. Otherwise just make sure that you r gas tank is at least half full or more and you are good. The other day my wife's car did not wanted to start, but she was almost down to nothing with gas and her car has an old battery, not sure which one had more affect on the problem.

Those were two of the suggestions that I received from the auto forums!:ermm:

My 1998 Chev Cavalier isn't a diesel. :)

New battery.
Gas tank full or not----- she no start when the temperature is below 35 degrees.

right there that is your problem, Chevy. Nothing personal and I know I am going to get myself into trouble with what I have to say, but Chevy in my book is just a tiny bit better than Yugo. :LOL:

Oh, I see you DID read my entire post. :LOL:

No offense taken, of course, about a Chevy. I once bought a used Panhard! It ran just long enough to get me home!!!!! Only paid $100 for it though. Snerk.

If you ever watched the movie, "Fargo", that's pretty much how we dressed in northern ND. Air Force parkas and lots of layers to ride our snowmobiles!

The local weatherman (Cleveland) said the average high is 26°.We'll be long gone by Wednesday, when the high will be 2°. Or 3°. What difference does a degree or two matter when it's THAT cold!

Brasov is located in a high mountain pass between the Transylvanian Alps and the Carpathian Mountains, and we get bad weather in winter. Sometimes the main road near Borgo Pass is closed and no one goes out.

We dress very warmly in layers and sometimes the power goes out but we have a generator. Mamma makes sure we always have much food in the pantry and in my old Dacia, I had chains, a flashlight and batteries, an extra Dacia battery, a tool kit, and two warm blankets because in Snot, her heater went out a lot and it would become cold going home from school or the market sometimes. I had extra windshield wipers, de-icing liquid, and extra antifreeze and oil.

With love,
~Cat

Brasov is located in a high mountain pass between the Transylvanian Alps and the Carpathian Mountains, and we get bad weather in winter. Sometimes the main road near Borgo Pass is closed and no one goes out.

We dress very warmly in layers and sometimes the power goes out but we have a generator. Mamma makes sure we always have much food in the pantry and in my old Dacia, I had chains, a flashlight and batteries, an extra Dacia battery, a tool kit, and two warm blankets because in Snot, her heater went out a lot and it would become cold going home from school or the market sometimes. I had extra windshield wipers, de-icing liquid, and extra antifreeze and oil.

With love,
~Cat
"...in Snot..." ???

Back
Top Bottom