"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-12-2007, 12:39 PM   #1
Head Chef

Question for the Chefs Out There

Wondered what the pros (chefs) here have for dinner. Do you prepare your own dinner at home, or eat at the restaurant? Are the meals/food free? Enquiring minds want to know. Also, after cooking all day in a restaurant etc., do you have any passion/energy left to cook at home - or is it Mickie D's? Would like to see input from the chefs here re what are YOU having for dinner.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:56 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy* View Post
Wondered what the pros (chefs) here have for dinner. Do you prepare your own dinner at home, or eat at the restaurant? Are the meals/food free? Enquiring minds want to know. Also, after cooking all day in a restaurant etc., do you have any passion/energy left to cook at home - or is it Mickie D's? Would like to see input from the chefs here re what are YOU having for dinner.
In the hotels that I've worked in, we had an employee cafeteria which fed the entire hotel. In free-standing restaurants, the kitchen usually puts out a "crew meal" for the staff. Depending on the crew meal or if I have time, I'll usually eat that. Mostly I'll skip the crew meal because it's too early for me to eat dinner (it's usually put out at 4-4:30pm) and grab something from Mickey D's or Jack-in-the-Box on my way home.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:56 PM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Most restaurant chefs are in their kitchens at dinnertime, so it's "the restaurant or nothing" until service is over. Some chefs sometimes eat the family meal that is served in the afternoon between lunch and dinner..

I can't speak for anyone but myself on the other, but I'd rather not eat anything than eat at MickeyD's. That stuff is NASTY!
Old 09-12-2007, 01:04 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I forgot to add that I cook at home on my days off. Not that I really want to, but I'd rather not eat fast food 7 days a week.

Awww, ChefJune, nothing wrong with a little Mickey D's after 4 hours of getting slammed on the line. A #1 Supersized with two hot apple pies really hits the spot at 11:30pm.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Most restaurant chefs are in their kitchens at dinnertime, so it's "the restaurant or nothing" until service is over. Some chefs sometimes eat the family meal that is served in the afternoon between lunch and dinner..

I can't speak for anyone but myself on the other, but I'd rather not eat anything than eat at MickeyD's. That stuff is NASTY!
My question was for chefs here at DC that cook professionally - not 'most chefs'. I don't think that ALL chefs are working at Dinner time. I used Mickie D's as an example, as IC has shared his photos (very nice one, I may add & he shared his recipe - thanks, IC), cooking at home with his little one & mentioned he stops for a quickie/fast food. As far as fast food - ain't nothing wrong with it!

Some chefs on this site, are starting out, and wonder if the salary includes free meals. Allen, as I recall works at a country club- wondered do you & IC get to eat your creations?

ETA: After cooking all day professionally, are you turned off to cooking and food when you get home?
Old 09-12-2007, 01:25 PM   #6
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I either eat at the shop, or grab a bite on the way home. late night take out is another option, but can get pricey everyday.

I too cook 1 day a week. Normally go shopping, get home, prep/fabricate all of it, portion it in to easy to reheat meals, and then I am good to go for 5 days.

After a 16 hour day in the kitchen, normally the LAST thing one wants to do is go home, and cook dinner. At least me.

And most Chefs, unless it is an AM shift, are in the kitchen during dinner hours, that is the nature of the bizz. Chefs are required to be there during hours of service, breakfast, lunch, or dinner, the little spaces in between are for prepping for the next shift/service.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:49 PM   #7
Executive Chef

My SO is a Chef. He's in the kitchen for every breakfast, lunch and supper. He'll try to grab a bite between lunch and supper, but depending on the prep needed, it's not always possible. When he gets home, if he's not too tired, it's usually a sandwhich, or cereal. (Unless I'm visiting, in which case I do the cooking. ). On his day off (when he gets one), it's usually something quick and easy, eggs, burger, sandwhich, cereal. If he has running around to do on his day off, it's usually a meal at IHOP or a Mexican restauant Staff get meals at a discount.

I forgot to mention the pizza joint that's on his way home. He visits them often.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:08 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I spend all weekend cooking at home. I make a special dinner, like something you'd order for a holiday meal, on Saturday evenings. On Sunday, I make three dinners, and enjoy them all week long. Friday.....that's usually light tapas style dishes and booze.

I love to dine out...and don't often care about the price as long as the service is great and the food is wonderful.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:17 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy* View Post
My question was for chefs here at DC that cook professionally - not 'most chefs'. I don't think that ALL chefs are working at Dinner time. I used Mickie D's as an example, as IC has shared his photos (very nice one, I may add & he shared his recipe - thanks, IC), cooking at home with his little one & mentioned he stops for a quickie/fast food. As far as fast food - ain't nothing wrong with it!

Some chefs on this site, are starting out, and wonder if the salary includes free meals. Allen, as I recall works at a country club- wondered do you & IC get to eat your creations?

ETA: After cooking all day professionally, are you turned off to cooking and food when you get home?
Wow, bite her head off, why dont you? I don't know that answering for what most chefs do is such an inappropriate answer to this thread. Throw a query out there, I believe all answers are valid. The majority of restaurants are open for dinner. Sure, some are open for breakfast and lunch, but dinner is the meal that most chefs work at. Soux chefs handle the lighter meals.
I'm with June...I'd rather eat woolen socks than eat fast food.

Many chefs don't have to cook at home. Most eat at work, or go to after hours places that cater to people in the industry.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:18 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef View Post
I forgot to add that I cook at home on my days off. Not that I really want to, but I'd rather not eat fast food 7 days a week.

Awww, ChefJune, nothing wrong with a little Mickey D's after 4 hours of getting slammed on the line. A #1 Supersized with two hot apple pies really hits the spot at 11:30pm.
I haven't done this in years.........but there was a time when it was white castle at 2 in the morning...and it was magnificent!