"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-11-2006, 09:03 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Pickle Juice???

Old 09-11-2006, 09:13 PM   #12
Head Chef

I think that may go alright, lol!!! Just don't do it right after you have put RidX or yeast for the septic system!!!

Old 09-11-2006, 10:06 PM   #13
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I had a septic tank a long time ago, maybe 15 years ago, and one thing I can say is to make sure you have it cleaned out after about 8-10 years because if you dont it can back up in your leech field. So it's important to make sure you only put things into your septic tank that will degrade as harborwitch mentioned. You can buy laundry and dishwashing soaps that are safe for septic tanks, as well as paper goods (toilet paper, paper towels, that degrade safely without bleach in the product).
8-10 years!!! UFFDA!! Our county (maybe state) laws say every three years. I let it go to 4 (don't tell) and there was an awful lot of AHHH! "STUFF" in there. I got a 1500 gal tank. There is only me and "Old What's Her Name" most of the time.

Rid-x yeah, the frequency depends on your climate. We are pretty cold in the winter in northern Wisconsin so not much enzime growth at that time of year. In spring after snow melt, clean water seeps into the system and flushes out the enzimes so you need to add Rid-x, lots of rain or flooding, Rid-x, Large family, lots of wash, Rid-x every month.

I have no idea what the active ingredient in that stuff is. I do know grease is a no no, and excesive bleach kills enzimes (although 1 cup in a load of whites once a week in a 1500 gal. tank doesn't seem like a lot?).

By the way "Flushable Wipes" maybe flushable, but they come out of the septic the way they went in.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:38 AM   #14
Executive Chef

You do need to be careful about the products you flush down the toilet, many good comments already posted about that. I do not use bleach. Since I bake my own bread, I've heard the yeast from the bread dough bits that go down the kitchen drain is a good source of active bacteria. I also do not have a garbage disposal, I compost or put food scraps out on the ground for the cat and possoms.

There are two main types of septic systems, depending on the lay of your land. You can have a leach field or an areator. Since the ground behind our house drops off a good bit, we have no space for a leach field and have an areator. I believe it is very wise to have the septic tank pumped out at least every three years, and people are generally not reported to the authorities if they go four years between pumpings.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:50 AM   #15
Head Chef

May be British tanks are smaller...we have ours emptied annually.

I would be wary of a large amount of vinegar, I clean with vinegar because it kills so many germs....one assume that counts good ones too. But, ineveitbaly some must end up in the tank, so I would assume if in the greater schemee of things it is not much you would be ok.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:47 AM   #16
Head Chef

I work for University of Missouri Extension, and septic tank questions are frequent.

This site will tell you everything you need to know--backed up by university research--
http://muextension.missouri.edu/xplo...ual/eq0401.htm

No need for RidX or other additives--at best you are wasting money, at worst they can actually cause damage. When you . . um. . make a deposit in the bathroom, you are adding all the bacteria you need.

Bleach and other cleaners are ok if used according to label directions. Don't pour a gallon of bleach down the drains every day, but using it for cleaning is ok.

The best thing you can do for your septic tank is limit the amount of water that goes into it. It is against code in some places, but dumping grey water (from shower, washing machine, dishwater) someplace besides the septic tank is a good idea.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:01 AM   #17
Head Chef

With the drought issues in UK this year we have been advised to start conserving grey water for watering our gardens and lawns.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:23 AM   #18
Sous Chef

"start conserving grey water for watering our gardens and lawns."

Oh my, how I remember one California drought, I was watering the lawn/gardens with bucket after bucket of grey water - finally husband jerry-rigged a hose for me to use. what a pain!!
Old 09-12-2006, 10:08 AM   #19
Master Chef

I had a septic tank when my kids were little...had a garbage disposal, too. No one ever told me about what to do and not to do. The septic was in the lowest part of the yard, right under the bathroom window, and everytime we were going to have company, I'd pray that it wouldn't rain, because when it rained, all kinds of nasty things happened.
The house smelled like a sewer when it rained a lot, and sometimes the gook backed up into the bathtub or erupted out of the washing machine drain.
By the way, it really is true that the grass grows greener over the septic tank.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:25 AM   #20
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass
I work for University of Missouri Extension, and septic tank questions are frequent.

This site will tell you everything you need to know--backed up by university research--
http://muextension.missouri.edu/xplo...ual/eq0401.htm

No need for RidX or other additives--at best you are wasting money, at worst they can actually cause damage. When you . . um. . make a deposit in the bathroom, you are adding all the bacteria you need.

Bleach and other cleaners are ok if used according to label directions. Don't pour a gallon of bleach down the drains every day, but using it for cleaning is ok.

The best thing you can do for your septic tank is limit the amount of water that goes into it. It is against code in some places, but dumping grey water (from shower, washing machine, dishwater) someplace besides the septic tank is a good idea.
What a great site Sparrow! We have had a septic most of our lives and there was a lot I didn't know about it.

I will probably still use the Rid-x after snow melt. When you lose 6 to 8 feet of snow in a few weeks, the fresh water can be pulled in from the leech bed. I sure did learn a lot from the sight....,Thanks!