Question for those with Septic Tanks...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is what we are here for, Silvercliff. :)

Sometimes we call ourselves the best kept secret in the courthouse, because lots of people don't know that you can call the Extension office for info on just about anything--septic tanks, canning, animal care, child development, community development, small business startup and lots more.

Find your extension office in your county, and use it!!

good old septic tanks

we have had two one in our first house. the house was 100 years old
and i think the owners before sorta rigged it to work. we did end up
just putting a new one in, worked fine. at first we did put rid-x down
every month, don't remember who told me but a cup or so of dog food
works fine too, just flush it or even a packet of yeast.

we built a new home almost 5 years ago and we are have a septic again
have not had one problem. i do use the disposal not for everything pretty
much the same if i was on the sewers. grease is bad for any pipes little
will go down ours. never heard of the pickle juice???? we also do not
use much bleach if we do i definately flush some yeast.

really the only problem we have had was with the very only system.

good luck

sparrowgrass said:
That is what we are here for, Silvercliff. :)

Sometimes we call ourselves the best kept secret in the courthouse, because lots of people don't know that you can call the Extension office for info on just about anything--septic tanks, canning, animal care, child development, community development, small business startup and lots more.

Find your extension office in your county, and use it!!

I guess this is a bit off topic, but I couldn't agree more Sparrow. I use the county extension so much I have it on speed dial. Everything from making liver and blood sausage, to the btu value of different firewood, to canning. They always seem to have the answer and most stuff is no cost or low cost.:)

I hate to be redunant all over again, but what about Pickle Juice?

This message brought to you the Department of Redundancy Department

Pickle juice in the septic was my original question...
I have a large jar of old pickle juice- can I safely put it down into the septic tank?

Sorry, hopz, didn't see your question. Unless it is a 55 gallon drum of pickle juice, you will be ok.

Once your tank is up and running, it is very hard to disrupt those little bacteria with bleach, vinegar, or other cleaning items, as long as you use them according to label directions.

:) We get our septic pumped out once a year.No promlems so far in 10 years. I never, ever pour grease down the sink I let it set up and then throw it away.

pdswife said:
Really....? Wow.... I wonder why no one ever mentioned that to me before.

I knew about the grease... but not using the disposal at all??
As a thirty year septic tank user, I can tell you that common sense will tell you what will and what will not break down organically. I use my garbage disposal regularly, but never put, for example: bones, outer onion skins, fat, garlic skins, and non-organic substances. Most cooking refuse will brek down in the septic. Just think about what would rot in the refrigerator (given enough time) and what wouldn't. What rots is safe for the garbage disposal; what doesn't, isn't.

Just make sure you get someone who has experience.:-p (couldn't resist)

img_325869_0_352b8a1b90e8007cfaf3a7cab0dcd03e.jpg

img_325869_1_b4676f5f2d28145fa1dfc5020cfbc186.jpg

Last edited:
sparrowgrass said:
Hopz, what about pickle juice?

favorite quote: "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read." Groucho Marx

Ha! I love that saying and have a T-shirt with it on the front. Haven't seen it in a while, though; wonder where it is ... :glare:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom