"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-11-2006, 07:35 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Question for those with Septic Tanks...

Hello all. I am living in a house that has a septic tank. So far- no problems. I have been advised not to put too much into my garbage disposall. Also not to put too much grease down there.

On the web it says the biggest problem with a septic system is too much laundry, actually the man-made fibers clog things up. But
Today I was about to dump a large jar of pickle juice down there- after eating all those great home-made pickles...

Question, is that too much acid for the septic tank? What other places can I dospose of it? Garden? lawn? Construction site porta potties?

OBTW as an active homebrewer, I put a good dose of active yeast down there every three weeks or so- so there is plenty of nutirent down there.
Any thoughts, facts, conjectures? or other info on living/cooking with a septic system?

Old 09-11-2006, 07:50 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I always throw my pickle juice down the drain with no problems...and do a ton of laundry too...

We've only lived here for three years but have never had any kind of problems.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:57 PM   #3
Head Chef

You shouldn't use a garbage disposal (use that in a compost pile or feed to any critters you might have) with a septic tank; they should have warned you. Grease is a bad thing too; I always pour that into an old jar or can, seal and put in the trash if I don't add it to all my dogs food. Use RidX once a month like they say and you shouldn't have a problem. It is a good idea to make sure the t-paper y'all use is safe for septic systems too. We have had a septic system here for 11 years and no problems; just don't use the garbage disposal or pour grease down the drains.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:01 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Really....? Wow.... I wonder why no one ever mentioned that to me before.

I knew about the grease... but not using the disposal at all??
Old 09-11-2006, 08:05 PM   #5
Head Chef

Yeah, depending what you put down your disposal, it can build up with gases and cause many problems. My way of thinking is "better safe than sorry."
Old 09-11-2006, 08:07 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

well.... that may be a very hard habit to break. It's so easy just to shove things down there.

I am pretty picky about what goes down though... no potato peels, no egg shells...

I love grinding up orange, lemon and lime peels though, they smell so good.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:11 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Good stuff... rid-X is basically yeast If I have my facts straight, so I am in great shape in that department.

I loved to compost when I lived in a more temperate climate... here in the mountains, if I put vegetable trimmings out they will freeze until next spring....
Old 09-11-2006, 08:15 PM   #8
Head Chef

My 2 burros, all the cottontails and jack rabbits fight for any type of veggie/fruit peels!! The birds don't get much of a chance with that bunch, lol.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:23 PM   #9
Sous Chef

My ex (the plumber) let me use the disposal with a septic tank - no grease down the drain though. He was adamant about the dishwasher and bleach in the laundry - chlorine will kill the good little buggies in the septic tank.

We have one here on the Island - but for the most part we had the grey water going into a sump and being pumped "overboard" and only the black water went into the septic - then the new maintainence guy started cleaning the toilets in the restrooms with chlorine. Had to put a stop to that - especially since they re-plumbed the grey water back to the septic.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:44 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I had a septic tank a long time ago, maybe 15 years ago, and one thing I can say is to make sure you have it cleaned out after about 8-10 years because if you dont it can back up in your leech field. So it's important to make sure you only put things into your septic tank that will degrade as harborwitch mentioned. You can buy laundry and dishwashing soaps that are safe for septic tanks, as well as paper goods (toilet paper, paper towels, that degrade safely without bleach in the product).