"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-17-2008, 03:56 PM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
so many things change over time, and no two of us age exactly the same. Anything is possible, Barbara.

I found the most helpful book was "The Silent Passage," by Gail Sheehy. I think it's still available on amazon, and I would recommend any woman going through this period (or who still ahs it to look forward to) to own the book and keep it as a reference for when life gets "just plain weird."

Old 10-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I'm 52 and I have noticed that some things smell strange to me - foods especially. I didn't really connect it to this but it's got me thinking.

For the hot flashes, I've been taking a homeopathic medicine that my doctor gave me and for me, it's worked splendidly. I don't know anything about homeopathy and when my doc suggested them, she said to try it for a month or so and see if it helped. I was flash-free within a week! I was pretty sure it was kind of a placebo effect thing because it worked so fast, but then 2 friends of mine tried it and it worked just as well for them. Anyway, I'm not affiliated in any way with this company, etc., but I thought I'd share since it's very inexpensive and no side effects that I'm aware of. It's called Klimaktheel and a bottle of 100 is $20-25 on the net. You're supposed to let one tablet dissolve under your tongue 3 times a day initially. (Don't chew it because the acids in your stomach will "kill" it.) Do this until you get relief of your symptoms and then cut back to twice a day. Then back to once daily, if you have symptom relief. Here's a link that lists the ingredients:
Heel Klimaktheel at Smallflower.com
(I just buy it where ever it's on sale when I run out.)

Old 10-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Had surgical menopause 10 years ago and have seen no changes in anything following the surgery. I'm approaching 60 so I would think that I'd notice any differences by now. Can eat anything, haven't noticed that I eat fewer sweets or anything else and aromas/fragrances don't bother me any more than normal. Haven't had a hot flash in 10 years.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:21 PM   #14
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Barbara, I'd love to hear suggestions on dietary change ideas for relieving hot flashes. I've had them over 10+ years. And I used to always be freezing.
One of the things Dr. Peeke (in the book I mentioned) mentions is a study that found that perimenopausal and menopausal women who ate a diet rich in whole-food plant estrogens (tofu or edamame--whole soybeans) had fewer hot flashes and less dryness (the censor won't let me say where, but I'm sure you can figure it out), and they maintained greater bone density. She also said that women (in a study) who drank 8 ounces of soy milk each day had fewer hot flashes than women who drank other things.

I have been very fortunate. Like my mom, I am not having a lot of problems other than some occasional hot flashes.

Barbara