Question RE: Guatemala

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TATTRAT

The Dude Abides
Moderator Emeritus
There is NO "national dish" that I am aware of, I know we have a worldly board here and was wondering if any one had suggestions on what the quint essential Guatemalan dish/food is...

I have looked all over the internet and have some ideas, and the flavors seem very close to Ecuadorian food.

I am cooking for the President of Guatemala and dignitaries from the Arab States on the 28th and would like something "local" for him, perhaps something nostalgic, something that he would be surprised to see.

Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
There seems to be some listings when you google 'recipes from guatemala'. Maybe not a national dish but a number of choices.

When I visit a foreign country, I always expect to partake of the local cuisine, not eat the same food I normally eat at home. I certainly wouldn't go to, let's say Germany for example, and look for McDonalds or ask to visit the Colonel. When I was in the tourist industry in Niagara Falls, I could never understand why any tour guide with half a brain would bring a whole busload of Italians to the Como Restuarant when Pete's Steak House was right down the street.

The only people I have ever seen who did NOT wish to partake of the local cuisine were the Thai military officers I had as students. They always preferred to eat at either a Thai restaurant, or a Schezuan Chinese restuarant if there were no Thai restaurants in the vicinity. I think it had to do with the capsicum content, or lack thereof.

well, the reception will NOT revolve around the ethnicity, just wanted to sneak a little something in there...it is only 50pp so I am not too worried, but now I am just wanting to find some stuff I have never had, lol.

Back
Top Bottom