"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-28-2007, 11:32 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I just use my etch-a-sketch. As long as no one shakes it I should be all set.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:50 AM   #12
Executive Chef

I have external usb drives on all of the home desktop computers which are portable to an extent - you can easily move them from one computer in the house to another, but they have a separate power supply and are about the size of a paperback book - like GB's.

I also have some small thumb drives and then a couple of larger flash drives drives - 8 gigs. These are great. I keep them in my camera bag so that when we travel with my notebook, we can all empty the sd cards from our cameras onto the flash drive and all the pics are in one place. But they are noticeably slower than an IDE or SATA drive.

I did just order a truly portable usb hard drive - 160 gig that doesn't use an external power source (Western Digital, I think). It's about the size of a deck of cards. I know these are somewhat slower than the ones with a separate power supply and also they will definitely drain your notebook battery much quicker but the reviews I read say that even with those issues, these drives are excellent. I'll let you know when it gets here.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:51 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I just use my etch-a-sketch. As long as no one shakes it I should be all set.
Etch-A-Sketch ! Be careful, your'e dating yourself here. Personally, I use the wax writing pad, you know, the one you used to get for 25 cents at Woolworth's that had the transparent plastic sheet with a dark wax-covered sheet behind it, and a plastic writing stylus to write with. By lifting the sheet, all is erased and ready to be written on again (volatile memory, precursor to RAM memory).

I lost a whole novel when I my cat payed with it, lifting the plastic sheet, and erasing 3 years worth of work.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:04 AM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'd suggest using a non-magnetic medium for important backups, like CDs or DVDs. External hard drives can fail just as internal ones do, but unless they get scratched, CDs and DVDs don't.
You should go solid state media. Samsung has a 30gig flash drive. i cant wait till carbon based HDD's come out or even the "Shaw fugi kawa" its the light drive in Halo that cortona is in charge of.. Man im such a nerd... LOLOLOL
Old 11-29-2007, 04:54 PM   #15
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I just commit everything to memory. That way it is always with me.

Wait a minute... Why did I just come into this room?

Shoot! Now I'm going to have to go back in the other room to remember!

Barbara (who has discs and drives and flash-drives and fly-drives coming out of her ears because she's lucky to remember her own name with her little pea-brain!)
Old 11-29-2007, 04:59 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
You should go solid state media. Samsung has a 30gig flash drive. i cant wait till carbon based HDD's come out or even the "Shaw fugi kawa" its the light drive in Halo that cortona is in charge of.. Man im such a nerd... LOLOLOL
Maybe when the price comes down. I think my DVDs will last that long
Old 11-29-2007, 07:48 PM   #17
Senior Cook

When you do finally purchase a new external drive make sure to format it even if it is already partitioned and formatted. I recently read that a Chinese company that is providing the external drive assembly for Seagate has been shipping drives which contain a virus which collects information written to the drives and passes them to a Chinese website in Beijing.

Read more . . .

Infected Seagate Hard Drives
Old 11-30-2007, 12:26 AM   #18
Sous Chef

I missed out on the BF deals and I REALLY need one of these to backup all my stuff. Should have one by the end of the year, looking for a good deal on a 500gb or a 1tb. I have WAY to many pictures and songs to loose. I may try for the larger because I may start putting movies on it.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:33 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

nachef, you need a terrabyte?

holy crap! that's a lotta data. we have weeks worth of shows in high def video stored on servers with less capacity.

remember everyone, if you lose even a few bytes of data from damage or degradation, the entire txt, jpeg, mpeg, or what have you is lost as well. so make sure you have multiple copies of important stuff.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:38 AM   #20
Sous Chef

I dont NEED it but I can see myself closing in on the 500gb within a year or two. So rather than buy something now that may not be good enough later I'll buy the larger one and be done with it. Have to see prices to tell if it will be cost effective. Most likely I will end up with a 500gb or 2 just for security, 2 is better than 1 right.

I have friends that have four 1tb drives filled. Now thats some crazy stuff!!!! hahaha