"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-16-2007, 12:05 AM   #1
Contest Winner

Cool Questions about portable hard drives

Who all uses a portable hard drive? How do you like it? And what kind is it? What size is it ?
Inquiring minds want to know ?

Have a "MAIDRITE DAY" !

Old 11-28-2007, 01:07 AM   #2
Master Chef

I use a portable hard drive at work. It is a Maxtor drive. I love it. My coworkers and I have hauled it all over the place. It is plug and play, so no downloading of software needed. I cannot remember what size it is. All I know is that I have store alot of pictures and other large files on it and have not made a dent in it storage capacity.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:12 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Well I use an external hard drive for my laptop. I do not bring it anywhere though, but I could. It is about the size of one and a half paper back books. It is a 330 (or 340 maybe) gig Seagate Free Agent drive. I love the thing. I bought it about 6 months ago for just under $100. Now the 500gig goes for around the same or less. I think around Black Friday I saw them for about $80. I will never again be without one of these. This way I have all my important files backed up if anything were to happen to my laptop.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:22 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Hi ya James!! (((hugggggsssss)))) it is a very handy tool, if you use your portable PC a lot. As the portable notebooks have limited storage capacity, this sort of hard drive, just about the size of your wallet or even smaller, can be a life saver. The capacity varies, anywhere from 80gb to something much bigger these days, I can't exactly remember without asking Cris, who always carry a couple around for his job. Prices are coming down almost daily due to the demand, just like many gadgets of this sort. As GB pointed out, it is also a great device to keep a backup for precious files not to be lost!! I highly recommend it!!
Old 11-28-2007, 10:03 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I've been thinking about getting one. I'm currently using a couple Flash Drives (one 128 MB and a 1GB), as well as a 2 GB SD card to back up files. I have a CD-RW in the desktop, and a DVD-RW in the laptop, but rarely actually burn a disk.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:52 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I will never again be without one of these. This way I have all my important files backed up if anything were to happen to my laptop.
I'd suggest using a non-magnetic medium for important backups, like CDs or DVDs. External hard drives can fail just as internal ones do, but unless they get scratched, CDs and DVDs don't.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:06 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

good advice, gg.

all of my pictures get burned to cd twice, as well as backed up to swappable scsi drives in trays.

we use everything from usb memory sticks and portable hard drives to network terrabyte storage at my job.

i've found if you want reliable memory, you can't go cheap and buy knockoff products from ebay. i mean, your risking losing your data if the device fails.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:11 AM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'd suggest using a non-magnetic medium for important backups, like CDs or DVDs. External hard drives can fail just as internal ones do, but unless they get scratched, CDs and DVDs don't.
While I agree that external hard drives are not the ideal for backups they are certainly better than nothing. The chances of both my hard drives failing at the same time are very small so I am not terribly worried. My most important files (my photos) are also backed up online and a good number of them are burned on cd or dvd.

CD's and DVD's are not good archival media though. Even without getting scratched they can and do break down over time.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:15 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

gb, i've heard that cds and dvds will begin to break down in as short as 10 to 15 years, which is why i keep the scsi backups as well. i've definitely begun to see my magnetic tapes, hi-8mm, degrade.

i guess i'll have to reburn the cds every decade or so.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:17 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

I just use my etch-a-sketch. As long as no one shakes it I should be all set.