"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-08-2013, 07:52 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
OK, I understand where you are coming from, I didn't read it that way. I read it that this person could live on a reservation and fit right in.

Tone isn't always expressed accurately in the written word unfortunately. I've heard people use similar terminology, but the way it was said, wouldn't be mistaken by most as offensive.
There are some things I do take offense to. Asking me if I do war dances. Do I/we still scalp people. Do we still live in tee pees. Do we need permission to leave the reservation. Get the idea? Maybe offense is the wrong word. Amazement at some of the stupidity. North Americans should know better. And if they don't, I blame their school systems. They are still teaching that when the white man wins, it is a victory. When the 'redskin' wins it is a tragedy or a massacre. Not all schools systems. I have found that the closer to an area where Indians are living, the more educated the populace is. I wonder what the kids in Palm Beach or Beverly Hills are being taught.

When my youngest was in scouting, he went up to Maine to visit the tribe and try to find out what he could about them. We had a friend whose family came from Russia in 1918 and was fascinated with my son's family history. He wanted to learn also. So he took him up there for a school vacation week. One of the tribe members gave my son a full headress and breast plate of animal bones. When he came back he showed them to his troop. As bt will tell you, scouting is founded on the practices of the living practices of Indians. The Troop learned a lot and the leaders were forced to do some reading so they could answer questions intelligently. The Troop now owns the headress and breastplate. And a lot of kids have been learning about early America.

Our schools need to teach more honest history of our country.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
addie, the thing about the orbital structure of the eyes makes sense. since it's presumed north America was first settled by northern Asians, the one trait that is the most different/distinct between western Europeans and Asians that might survive several millennia would be the eyes.

same goes for dominant traits like hair colour.

skin colour would be much more affected by climate since it's an organ that is the most rapidly replaced.
We don't have the strong sun that is found in the west and south. And we 'had' more forest that you will find in the Southwest and the Plains. We don't have the desert that they have in the Southwest. We also don't have the red clay that was often used for ceremonial paint. It does stain the skin. Our hunting is done in the woods, out west, they hunt out in the open under the sun. The further south you go, you will find that the Indians skin was darker than those along the Northeastern seaboard. But the eye and cheekbone structure remains the same. And we still do all our hunting is the woods.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:39 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Some additional info about the tribe. My grandfather and father are from the Tarentine branch of the tribe. They were cannibals and one of the most feared tribes on the East coast.
'

Any relationship to Quentin Tarantino?
Old 02-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #34
Master Chef

The whole what to call people of various races thing baffles me. Do people actually go around saying things like "that white, black or Indian friend of mine?!"

My friends have names, I don't refer to them by colour.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:08 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

how do you refer to a large group of people that share a certain trait such as ethnicity, snip?

do you name each one?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:12 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, reminds me of an old comedians'joke.

a comedian gets up on stage and says, "i'd like to thank you all for being here tonight... thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, ..."

Old 02-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
how do you refer to a large group of people that share a certain trait such as ethnicity, snip?

do you name each one?
It depends on the situation. If they are ladies I would refer to them as the group of ladies, if they are South African I would say South Africans etc.
I'm not often is situations where people group according to skin colour or ethnicity.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:40 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

snip, my earlier point to claire would be like saying that someone looks or acts like they belong in orlando.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

People with lighter skin tones can absorb more vit D than those with darker skin tones. In northern climates, lighter skin tone was an evolutionary adaptation because of the shorter days. Darker skin tones protect people from the burning effects of the sun. The closer to the equator, the darker the skin tone. It is fairly simple. I have very pale skin--my ancestors all came from Northern Europe.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
snip, my earlier point to claire would be like saying that someone looks or acts like they belong in orlando.
I got it. Pretty sure someone's been drinking their bath water again