"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-09-2013, 11:37 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My father and grandfather came from the age when Indians were on the lowest end of the totem pole.
You have made an assumption that lower on the totem pole indicates lower status.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:40 PM   #42
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Where I'm from In Maine, the term Indian wasn't considered offensive to the Native Americans at all. They still call their reservation, Indian Island.
The majority of Native Americans I've met on the Four Corners region of UT-AZ-NM-CO were on the lower scale of being educated. They may not have been aware that there is a continent called India.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:43 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Thanks for clearing that up I've never been in America. I only know what I've read and seen on movies!
Funny how wrong TV can be.
Telling Native American "races" is much like telling "Asian" races by appearance. I suspect most people think there is some look that be correlated to some tribe or some Asian country/ethnicity.

It's not that easy, and movies don't even have a clue. Particularly in earlier times the movie producers hired white people and dressed them up in wigs and "Indian" costumes. I suspect fewer than 5% of the Hollywood movies got it right, probably even less.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #44
Executive Chef

Quote:
There are some things I do take offense to. Asking me if I do war dances. Do I/we still scalp people. Do we still live in tee pees. Do we need permission to leave the reservation.
Actually it is often the case that non-Native Americans need permission to visit "Indian" lands. For example, Monument Valley on the Navajo Reservation, limited areas are permissible for non-natives to visit during the day (there is an officially designated area), they cannot remain after sunset until sunrise, and there are other on-reservation lands that are not permitted to visit even in the daytime without a Navajo guide.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:52 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
You have made an assumption that lower on the totem pole indicates lower status.
Totem poles are items of the Northwest tribes. The top of the pole was usually a Thundrbird. The pole told a story of a family or incident. A successful hunting foray. The addition of a long awaited child. The least member of the hunting party was depicted on the bottom of the totem pole. Usually a youngster allowed to go on his first hunting trip. He carried their food or equipment.

As far as my grandfather and father, they were of lower status according the the powers of society that be. When you live it, you know it.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:03 AM   #46
Executive Chef

Quote:
Totem poles are items of the Northwest tribes. The top of the pole was usually a Thundrbird. The pole told a story of a family or incident. A successful hunting foray. The addition of a long awaited child. The least member of the hunting party was depicted on the bottom of the totem pole.
You sure about that? I recall you said your heritage was from the Northeast.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:08 AM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
You sure about that? I recall you said your heritage was from the Northeast.
And we are. Old Town and Paris, Maine.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:28 AM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

agreed, addie. they were of the pacific northwestern natives.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:02 AM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Totem Poles tell a story of a great event in the life of the tribe or a family.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #50
Master Chef

Quote:
Telling Native American "races" is much like telling "Asian" races by appearance. I suspect most people think there is some look that be correlated to some tribe or some Asian country/ethnicity.

It's not that easy, and movies don't even have a clue. Particularly in earlier times the movie producers hired white people and dressed them up in wigs and "Indian" costumes. I suspect fewer than 5% of the Hollywood movies got it right, probably even less.
Figured as much. It's the same with South Africans. People either think we are all black or white with Khaki clothes and lions as pets and they assume we can't speak English properly
I've never owned any Khaki clothes ( those are to make tourist look stupid ), we have game reserves so wild animals don't roam freely and SA has 11 official languages and people from all cultures. Guess that's why we're called the rainbow nation!
I never believe movies.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote