Questions That Run Through My Mind (what there is of it)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
Often as I am washing dishes or just sitting here at the computer, my mind wanders and starts to think of things I don't know such as the following question to Kylie.

Kylie, is the term "Aussie" considered derogatory to Austrailians? I know to call me an Indian is just fine with me. But some person(s) decided that it wasn't PC. So overnght I became a Native American. I have always been an American. And I think like one, more than I do Indian. But I do take offense at being called a redskin. I have yet to see an Indian with redskin. My father and grandfather certainly didn't have redskin.

I am also curious about religions and the reasons behind their practices. (Thank you Charlie) I grew up in an Italian Catholic neighborhood. I think my family was the only Protestant one.

Another question. Do you believe in spanking? Having raised five children, I can understand very easily a parent losing their own temper. Kids ceertainly try us. But I always tried to remember that kids do exactly what they are supposed to be doing at their particular age. Two years old and they love the word "No!" Four years old and temper tantrums come into play. Any age is open to "I hate you! I wish you weren't my mother." But sometimes a swat on the bottom just seems fit at the moment. What I can't get my head wrapped around is how can you neglect or abuse a child. :angel:

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't know you are half Indian Addie. You don't look it. You just look English. Do you take after your mom? That's pretty cool. I've always wanted to learn about American Indian History. Do you know any traditional recipes?
I'm a pavement special lol! Irish, Dutch and English all rolled into one. I never take offense when people make remarks about being "white" I am white "well pinkish beige"
I'm proud of who I am.
It do find it funny when English or American folks ask if I'm black. A lot of people assume all African people are. I need shoe polish to look tanned lol!
Why are people so obsessed with colour?

In response to your quetion about spanking: I spank my children if they hit others or use bad language. Caitlin has had 4 hidings in almost 11 years (or was it 3?), Daniel more but he laughs about it. I can't smack a small bum hard lol! They get grounded or go for time out most of the time. When they throw a tantrum, so do I (my kids no longer throw tantrums!)

Re spanking, a wooden spoon stings! Once used, all you need to do is threaten them with it.

They'll cover their hineys and run away!

I didn't know you are half Indian Addie. You don't look it. You just look English. Do you take after your mom? That's pretty cool. I've always wanted to learn about American Indian History. Do you know any traditional recipes?
I'm a pavement special lol! Irish, Dutch and English all rolled into one. I never take offense when people make remarks about being "white" I am white "well pinkish beige"
I'm proud of who I am.
It do find it funny when English or American folks ask if I'm black. A lot of people assume all African people are. I need shoe polish to look tanned lol!

In response to your question about spanking: I spank my children if they hit others or use bad language. Caitlin has had 4 hidings in almost 11 years (or was it 3?), Daniel more but he laughs about it. I can't smack a small bum hard lol! They get grounded or go for time out most of the time. When they throw a tantrum, so do I (my kids no longer throw tantrums!)

My father and grandfather came from the age when Indians were on the lowest end of the totem pole. My grandfather was born in the 1800's and my father 1909. So our heritage was never discussed. The only food I know that is Indian is a can of corn. I actually look more like my father than my mother. My son's paternal side of the family is Cherokee. If he had been willing to do the research, he could have attended college for free. But he feels as I do. We have never contributed anything to further the interests of the tribe, therefore we don't feel entitled to the benefits.

My father's tribe in Maine sued Maine and Massachusetts (Maine used to be be part of Massachusetts) for their lost land and won. Every member of the tribe is entitled to a check each month now including me and my youngest son. But neither one of us has put in a claim. And never will. :angel:

Some additional info about the tribe. My grandfather and father are from the Tarentine branch of the tribe. They were cannibals and one of the most feared tribes on the East coast. :angel:

Some additional info about the tribe. My grandfather and father are from the Tarentine branch of the tribe. They were cannibals and one of the most feared tribes on the East coast. :angel:

Wow! Now that's a cool family story. Wish I knew more about my family history. Most of my relatives have passed away so I have no one old enough to ask.
Thank you for that :)

who apparently invented canning to preserve their victims through the cold northeastern winters. lol. ;)

:LOL: Good one bt. The family tree has been traced way back on both sides and the kids have a written history of the family. It is a project that me and my sister started many years ago. Even the grandkids are part of it. As they grow older, they will add their part to it. They think it is neat that they can look up their ancestors. The family tree is so long and can be confusing. :angel:

many moons ago << moving hand in the air in an arc>>

c'monn addie, get with the program. you gotta sell it if you want us to believe that you're sacagaweeaddie. :)

I'm proud of who I am.

In response to your quetion about spanking: I spank my children if they hit others or use bad language. Caitlin has had 4 hidings in almost 11 years (or was it 3?), Daniel more but he laughs about it. I can't smack a small bum hard lol! They get grounded or go for time out most of the time. When they throw a tantrum, so do I (my kids no longer throw tantrums!)

Northeast American Indians don't have as dark skin as western Indians. The black hair is still common, but they don't quite have the same look as what is often portrayed in movies and TV. There is still a distinct look though.

Kylie, is the term "Aussie" considered derogatory to Austrailians? I know to call me an Indian is just fine with me. But some person(s) decided that it wasn't PC. So overnght I became a Native American. I have always been an American. And I think like one, more than I do Indian. But I do take offense at being called a redskin. I have yet to see an Indian with redskin. My father and grandfather certainly didn't have redskin.

Where I'm from In Maine, the term Indian wasn't considered offensive to the Native Americans at all. They still call their reservation, Indian Island.

Northeast American Indians don't have as dark skin as western Indians. The black hair is still common, but they don't quite have the same look as what is often portrayed in movies and TV. There is still a distinct look though.

Thanks for clearing that up :) I've never been in America. I only know what I've read and seen on movies!
Funny how wrong TV can be. :rolleyes:

I have to laugh at this. My parents are of French-Canadian stock from Quebec. Definitely some Indian in there. Doesn't show up in us very much, except for one cousin who should be on the reservation! A throw-back. Many Cherokees I've met actually look like India Indians, which makes you realize why the first explorers of the Americas called them that. I have said, "Oh, you look part Cherokee" and the person is always pleased.

Anyone truly interested should read a book called something like "Journey into the interior". It is the memoirs of one of the first European explorers to the "new world". If anyone is interested I'll go on line and find the real name of the book and its author.

claire, i'm sure you didn't mean it, but saying a troubled person of native descent deserves to stay on the reservation is exceedingly offensive. it's like saying poor black people deserve to live in the projects, or trashy white people deserve to live in broken down trailer parks.

and the early explorers were looking for a shorter route to get to the spice and silk trades of india and asia, not that they thought the native americans looked southern asian. as was just mentioned, the first natives the explorers met weren't necessarily the darker skinned type.

no biggie, though. just pointing it out for reference. since this is addie's thread, i'm sure she'd appreciate the attempt at historical accuracy and wider base of knowledge.

Last edited:

It is in the eyes. And they do tend to have very prominent cheekbones. When you looked at my grandfather, you didn't even have to ask. You knew he was Indian. Also Eastern Indians are much shorter than those of the plains or the western part of the country. We do have a lot of Mohawk Indians here from NY. We have a tribe of Wampanoag Indians down near Cape Cod. They are the ones that helped the Pilgrims when they first landed. Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard at the very beginning of this country being settled, was all Indian land. There are still just a handful that live on both islands. The BIA protects them to the point where they are almost intrusive. But with the real estate on those islands going for millions of dollars, they need protection. :angel:

many moons ago << moving hand in the air in an arc>>

c'monn addie, get with the program. you gotta sell it if you want us to believe that you're sacagaweeaddie. :)

Beleive me, when I was much younger, I blazed many a trail to the nearest mall or shopping center. I knew all the shortcuts through the aisles and racks. :angel:

addie, the thing about the orbital structure of the eyes makes sense. since it's presumed north america was first settled by northern asians, the one trait that is the most different/distinct between western europeans and asians that might survive several millenia would be the eyes.

same goes for dominant traits like hair colour.

skin colour would be much more affected by climate since it's an organ that is the most rapidly replaced.

Back
Top Bottom