"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
...and don't forget. "Real men don't eat quiche!"
I have a rather non PC joke about Quiche, I dont think I will post it

Old 10-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Cooking Light magazine has 36 healthy quiche recipes.

Taste of Home has 167 recipes from several of their magazines, but you can narrow them down by selecting one of the Special Diet categories in the left hand column, or by selecting Healthy Cooking in the Publication category.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Cooking Light magazine has 36 healthy quiche recipes.

Taste of Home has 167 recipes from several of their magazines, but you can narrow them down by selecting one of the Special Diet categories in the left hand column, or by selecting Healthy Cooking in the Publication category.
Thanks, but I'm looking for TNT recipes from the members here. I found 1,440,000 websites with recipes for quiche by doing a 10 second Google.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Love crustless quiche. I've recently discovered Just Whites, in the fridge section, and mix some real eggs in with it. I don't use a recipe either, just throw stuff in.

Asparagus, ham, bacon, shallots, onions, mushrooms, different cheeses, all are quite yummy in either a frittatta or a quiche.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:27 PM   #15
Head Chef

The only time our quiche has a crust is when we're sharing it with company; otherwise I make them frittata-style.

I saute whatever veggies I'm using, pour in the eggs + milk, add cheese and bake in the same pan. No muss, no fuss.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:24 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Timothy--if you don't have Swiss Chard--spinach or kale would do. I found this recipe (the LCBO Food and Drink magazine comes out 6x/year and the recipes, IMO, are very good. The Christmas edition is very, very popular--this mag is handed out free at the Ontario liquor stores) because we had a surplus of Swiss Chard. The zucchini tart recipe (similar) that was in that issue was also very good--I've made that several times as well. I have yet to try an LCBO F&D recipe that doesn't work or that isn't a hit. If you are using small pie/tart pans and want a crust, you probably can get away with using a tortilla instead of pie crust or puff pastry. If you want to go decadent, the puff pastry is great--pre-cook it about 10 minutes before adding the filling.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:56 AM   #17
Executive Chef

I've never made or even eaten a quiche. I have no idea what I'm doing at step one.

I need a step by step, measured, TNT recipe for one that will let me follow the steps to the letter and learn this new food. I mean, I don't need "Pick up the egg in your hand and crack it" type instructions, just the amounts and methods for one I can't screw up. I love spinach, white cheeses, yellow cheeses, hot and sweet peppers, ham, tomatoes....can one be built along those paths?

For my first try, some-a-this, some-a-that, ain't gonna cut it. I need a road map to the driveway!

Thanks to everyone!
Old 10-21-2011, 07:41 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Follow the LCBO F&D recipe but use skim milk instead of cream, egg whites, and just the ricotta and feta. Or, follow it to the letter the first time and next time, play with it.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Follow the LCBO F&D recipe but use skim milk instead of cream, egg whites, and just the ricotta and feta. Or, follow it to the letter the first time and next time, play with it.

I'll find some mini-shells that will fit into my toaster oven and give that one a try. I think I'll sub spinach for the chard.

I see the ratio of liquid to solid and understand how it firms up now. I think I'll have good luck with my first try.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

I apologize if I'm being dumb today, but what is LCBO?

Tags
health