Quiche and its health risks...???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timothy

Head Chef
I didn't want to post this in the "How many eggs in quiche" thread, as it would be off topic.

I've never even had a bite of quiche. Any kind of quiche. To me, it's like cheesecake, too much of a good thing. I love cheesecake, but only take one bite of it when offered it, and never buy it, because it would last me forever. I'd have to freeze it and eat it one bite at a time.

Health concerns mostly. All those eggs. All that cream.

Is quiche really good stuff like cheesecake? Can I freeze one and eat it one bite at a time from the freezer?

My Doc loves me because I don't eat hardly anything that is hard on my body. I've kind of avoided quiche because of it's concentration of things that the Doc says I should avoid in large quantities.

It depends on how one makes it and the crust. You can make it with egg whites (eliminating the 5 gr of fat found in the yolk of one large egg), or one whole egg and the rest egg whites, or an egg substitute (yuke) and egg whites, skim milk instead of cream, crustless (or use a tortilla). Veggies instead of ham/bacon/sausage. Low-fat feta cheese or another low-fat cheese or eliminate the cheese. If one usually follows a low-fat diet, splurging on quiche made with cream once in awhile isn't going to be a big deal.

Last edited:
Quiche isn't anything like cheesecake.

Like Andy and CW said, it's like an omelette and can be made healthy or decadent depending on your whim. You can even omit the crust.

Wonderful! Now I'll have to ask; who has a TNT recipe for a veggie quiche that is made with no-fat or low-fat stuff and low egg and tastes really good?

I'd love to make one and try it. I didn't know it was available in any mode but really-bad-for-you-stuff.

Thanks everyone!

I don't have a recipe but I'd bet you could make a pretty good one using an Eggbeaters type product and some fresh and sautéed veggies. (and maybe a touch of crumbled bacon or diced ham.)

I've made this crustless several times:

Recipe Details

I subbed 2% milk for the cream, and only used low-fat ricotta and feta, not the other cheeses. I've also made it with a tortilla crust and another time with puff-pastry (decadent). I use white wine or home-made chicken stock to saute the leeks. There's no reason why you couldn't sub egg whites for most of the eggs or an egg-replacement product.

I've made this crustless several times:

Recipe Details

I subbed 2% milk for the cream, and only used low-fat ricotta and feta, not the other cheeses. I've also made it with a tortilla crust and another time with puff-pastry (decadent). I use white wine or home-made chicken stock to saute the leeks. There's no reason why you couldn't sub egg whites for most of the eggs or an egg-replacement product.

That sounds pretty darned good, CWS. My kitchen is gutted right now and I have no oven other than a large toaster oven, but I think I'll look for some small pie tins that will fit in it and give this a try!

Thanks!

Cooking Light magazine has 36 healthy quiche recipes.

Taste of Home has 167 recipes from several of their magazines, but you can narrow them down by selecting one of the Special Diet categories in the left hand column, or by selecting Healthy Cooking in the Publication category.

Thanks, but I'm looking for TNT recipes from the members here. I found 1,440,000 websites with recipes for quiche by doing a 10 second Google.

Love crustless quiche. I've recently discovered Just Whites, in the fridge section, and mix some real eggs in with it. I don't use a recipe either, just throw stuff in.

Asparagus, ham, bacon, shallots, onions, mushrooms, different cheeses, all are quite yummy in either a frittatta or a quiche.

The only time our quiche has a crust is when we're sharing it with company; otherwise I make them frittata-style.

I saute whatever veggies I'm using, pour in the eggs + milk, add cheese and bake in the same pan. No muss, no fuss.

Timothy--if you don't have Swiss Chard--spinach or kale would do. I found this recipe (the LCBO Food and Drink magazine comes out 6x/year and the recipes, IMO, are very good. The Christmas edition is very, very popular--this mag is handed out free at the Ontario liquor stores) because we had a surplus of Swiss Chard. The zucchini tart recipe (similar) that was in that issue was also very good--I've made that several times as well. I have yet to try an LCBO F&D recipe that doesn't work or that isn't a hit. If you are using small pie/tart pans and want a crust, you probably can get away with using a tortilla instead of pie crust or puff pastry. If you want to go decadent, the puff pastry is great--pre-cook it about 10 minutes before adding the filling.

Last edited:
I've never made or even eaten a quiche. I have no idea what I'm doing at step one.

I need a step by step, measured, TNT recipe for one that will let me follow the steps to the letter and learn this new food. I mean, I don't need "Pick up the egg in your hand and crack it" type instructions, just the amounts and methods for one I can't screw up. I love spinach, white cheeses, yellow cheeses, hot and sweet peppers, ham, tomatoes....can one be built along those paths?

For my first try, some-a-this, some-a-that, ain't gonna cut it. I need a road map to the driveway! :ROFLMAO:

Thanks to everyone!

Follow the LCBO F&D recipe but use skim milk instead of cream, egg whites, and just the ricotta and feta. Or, follow it to the letter the first time and next time, play with it.

Follow the LCBO F&D recipe but use skim milk instead of cream, egg whites, and just the ricotta and feta. Or, follow it to the letter the first time and next time, play with it.

I'll find some mini-shells that will fit into my toaster oven and give that one a try. I think I'll sub spinach for the chard.

I see the ratio of liquid to solid and understand how it firms up now. I think I'll have good luck with my first try.

Back
Top Bottom