"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-10-2008, 05:28 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Smile Thanks for that...

It was great to get such wonderful feedback.

Bilby, close to small version of our pasties or indonesian samosas or even dim sims (sortof), would you agree.

Not a real card fan, but DH was reading over my head and got the gist of what you all were saying and might give it a go.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:14 AM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Yes pirogies are similar to samosas and dim sum (to a degree). They are also similar or wontons and ravioli (sort of).

Cribbage is a great game. In 5th grade we used to play it in math class. We had a tournament with 3 classes. I came in 2nd place. I have not played in about 10 years or so, but would love to take it up again.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:07 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Dim sims aren't like dim sum GB (more's the pity). You get them at truck stops, fish and chip shops and the like. Similar premise but come down several degrees!! LOL Here you say "Dim Sims" and "Chiko Rolls" in the same breath and while they aren't scorned anymore, they were in the 70's as the culturally lacking in taste brigade food!!! But like I said, they are much more acceptable now, although I don't think they have changed in any health areas. Pastry on a dim sim is quite solid from memory.

Cath, next time you are in Coles or Woolies, have a look in the frozen snack foods section. Ho Mai produce Chicken and Mushroom Dumplings and Pork and Chive Dumplings. These can be boiled or steamed and then cooked in a pan (potstickers). They will be the closest you find in the supermarkets to pirogies, just smaller and with Asian flavours.

Filling of a samosa is wrong comparison and the pastry on a pasty too thick but they are all of a similar basis, just with cultural variations.

Have a look at this site: Nowinski's Pirogies for Restaurants, Grocers, & Home Delivery in the Western New York & Buffalo Area
Old 02-11-2008, 07:28 PM   #14
Master Chef

I will gladly take a sample platter for, um, taste testing purposes!
yea, thats my story....
Old 02-11-2008, 08:41 PM   #15
Everymom

Cath, do a search here for perogies or perohe or pirogi. There are lots of recipes posted. The dough is basically egg/oil/flour dough (just like homemade pasta) and then the filling is mashed potato with cheese mixed in. There are LOTS of varieties of perogy but that one seems to be the most universal. And oh they are sooooo delicious. As for cribbage, look on Shockwave or MSN games and there will be a more complete instruction there than we have given.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:22 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Smile Chiko Rolls, mmmm...

no good for the cholesterol but really good going down.

I'm with you Maverick.

Thanks Bilby and Alix. I would really like to try and make some at home so I will chase the recipes up but if I am not a successful pirogy maker I will head straight to Woolies.

Once again, thanks for the tips.

Cath
Old 02-12-2008, 06:58 AM   #17
Master Chef

David Hutchins and Charlie D. both are great resources on how to make them!
Old 02-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #18
Everymom

Cath, they are really very easy, and so much fun to do with a bunch of friends a couple bottles of wine. Here is one great recipe from Lifter and here is mine.