Quick Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, Cath. Even though I don't play it, cribbage is a card game that includes a board with pegs that is used to keep score. Pirogies are dumplings that are filled with meat or veggies.

As for cribbage, perhaps one of our mods can enlighten your more.

When it comes to pirogies, I think Charlie D would be a good source of information.

Pirogies are commonly made with a cheese, potato, and onion filling and if you are lucky you can find them filled with potato and sauerkraut! They are a noodle type dumpling with the above-mentioned filling. They are cooked in water then browned in a skillet.

Cribbage - it's been years but Katie E pretty much described what it involves.

Cribbage is a card game which involves counting to 15 and 31 with A FULL DECK OF cards. It's usually played with 2 people although it can be played with 3. Each player is dealt 6 cards, two of which are put into the "crib" which into counted until the end of each round. The points for the crib go to the dealer as players take turns dealing.

Perogies/Pierogi/Pirohi are really common in my province. We have a lot of Ukrainean folks. It's a half cicle shape, made with unleavened dough and stuffed. They are most commonly boiled and served with butter and onions although pan fried are another choice. I don't care for sour cream on them although some do. Mashed potato-cheddar is the basic kind although I've had them with bacon as well. If you don't have homemade here, frozen are available in the grocery store.

Last edited:
pierogies are the pot stickers/wontons/gyoza/ravioli/stuffed dumplings of eastern europe.

the most common kind are potato and cheese, potato and onion, or a type of sauerkraut (for the stuffing). they can be served boiled; in fact, the name itself derives from the word for "boiled stuff".

but the best way, imo, is boiled and fried/poached in butter with sweated onions and than dollop of sour cream with chives.

We could eat perogies while playing cribbage... if the math starts to frustrate you, take it out on the perogies!

Crib is fun!! You get points for pairs, runs, 15's and during play 15, 31, pairs and runs. Points also for right jacks or turning a jack up. Play till 121 points. Should be fast paced. Only time ever used the board though is on the PC. Normally just use the back of an envelope (recycle!!) and a pen. No shuffling involved which is ideal for me as I suck at shuffling!!! (People used to laugh.... :-( )

If it is a thin piece of dough with filling in, it has my name on it too!!! Whatever the culture!! (Although maybe not from some of those canabalistic cultures! LOL)

Thanks for that...

It was great to get such wonderful feedback.

Bilby, close to small version of our pasties or indonesian samosas or even dim sims (sortof), would you agree.

Not a real card fan, but DH was reading over my head and got the gist of what you all were saying and might give it a go.

Last edited:
Yes pirogies are similar to samosas and dim sum (to a degree). They are also similar or wontons and ravioli (sort of).

Cribbage is a great game. In 5th grade we used to play it in math class. We had a tournament with 3 classes. I came in 2nd place. I have not played in about 10 years or so, but would love to take it up again.

Dim sims aren't like dim sum GB (more's the pity). You get them at truck stops, fish and chip shops and the like. Similar premise but come down several degrees!! LOL Here you say "Dim Sims" and "Chiko Rolls" in the same breath and while they aren't scorned anymore, they were in the 70's as the culturally lacking in taste brigade food!!! But like I said, they are much more acceptable now, although I don't think they have changed in any health areas. Pastry on a dim sim is quite solid from memory.

Cath, next time you are in Coles or Woolies, have a look in the frozen snack foods section. Ho Mai produce Chicken and Mushroom Dumplings and Pork and Chive Dumplings. These can be boiled or steamed and then cooked in a pan (potstickers). They will be the closest you find in the supermarkets to pirogies, just smaller and with Asian flavours.

Filling of a samosa is wrong comparison and the pastry on a pasty too thick but they are all of a similar basis, just with cultural variations.

Have a look at this site: Nowinski's Pirogies for Restaurants, Grocers, & Home Delivery in the Western New York & Buffalo Area

Cath, do a search here for perogies or perohe or pirogi. There are lots of recipes posted. The dough is basically egg/oil/flour dough (just like homemade pasta) and then the filling is mashed potato with cheese mixed in. There are LOTS of varieties of perogy but that one seems to be the most universal. And oh they are sooooo delicious. As for cribbage, look on Shockwave or MSN games and there will be a more complete instruction there than we have given.

Chiko Rolls, mmmm...

no good for the cholesterol but really good going down.

I'm with you Maverick.

Thanks Bilby and Alix. I would really like to try and make some at home so I will chase the recipes up but if I am not a successful pirogy maker I will head straight to Woolies.

Once again, thanks for the tips.

Cath

Cath, they are really very easy, and so much fun to do with a bunch of friends a couple bottles of wine. Here is one great recipe from Lifter and here is mine.

Back
Top Bottom