"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-10-2007, 09:06 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Amber, of course you can do it! Excellent choice! We're behind you 100% of the way! Way to go girl!

Old 02-10-2007, 09:10 AM   #12
Master Chef

Wishing you sweet smelling success! Keep us posted!

Old 02-10-2007, 10:09 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Over 20 years ago...I stopped! Cold turkey! It is a mental thing!
So if I can get my mind right...Certainly anyone can!

Stay focused!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 10:15 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Despite some thinking that smokers display a different personality than nonsmokers, I know there are smokers who are very sweet people who have puppies and kittens and aren't hardened criminals or ne'er-do-wells or anything like that. (Matter of fact, I probably was not this mean when I smoked! Just kidding - I probably was... ) There are several topics having to do with smokers who have tried (and hopefully succeeded) on this board, and I've put my two cents in on their messages too. I've been there, and have quit (with the help of the patch too, and the Target generic one, by the way), so if I can be of any encouragement or help, please feel free to send me a message. The only way I was able to finally kick the habit was with a planned attack, which is what most organizations also say to do when trying to quit. I set a date, which I had to alter by a week when my mother was hospitalized suddenly (that stress was more than I could handle at the time), prepared the house and car, planned activities that would make me notice the progress, and that worked for me. Any time I tried without thinking it out thoroughly, I had failed.

Good luck to you. Let us know how you're coming along.

BC
Old 02-10-2007, 11:43 AM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Way to go Amber. You can do it! I am behind you 100%.

I had tried quiting a number of times before I was successful. When I quit I did it cold turkey. I had to tell myself (and truly believe it) that after my last cig I would never again have another butt no matter what. It did not matter if I was drinking or taking a long car trip or ultra stressed out or anything. Once I had that last one that was it forever. Once I accepted that then I was successful.

The cravings will not go away Amber (at least not for a long long long time), but they will weaken considerably. They will be very manageable with time.

You can do it and I know you will!
Old 02-10-2007, 12:05 PM   #16
Sous Chef

WAY TO GO!!! That is fantastic and so much heallthier for you. I smoked when I was 13 or 14 (off and on) up until I started my senior year in high school. My boyfriend( whom I am still with!! ) also smoked and he started to get very bad headaches, close to migraines from the smoke. So he quit and I obviously had to quit because the smoke bothered him that much. I quit cold turkey and it was pretty hard, but VERY rewarding. For a year, everytime I craved a cigarette I put a quarter in a jar or if I was out I put it in a compartment in my purse to put in my jar later. One year to the day I had a little over $400. I started to put less and less in there about 5 or six months into it but that just goes to show how much money you are going to save. Most people put in a jar what they would spend on a pack of cigarettes which would be MUCH MUCH more.
Anyways, I am very proud of you and you will feel so much better about your health and you when it is all said and done. We are here to help you and for you to confide in on your stressful, hard to quit days. Best of luck to you!!!
Old 02-10-2007, 06:35 PM   #17
Cook

It's really not that hard if you are truly ready to quit. You can do it.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:45 PM   #18
Hospitality Queen

We're all behind you, Amber!
I am really proud that you are taking this step, and also telling us, so there's accountability. Way to go, girl!!!
Old 02-10-2007, 06:56 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to goodgiver
stop smoking

Amber,Amber,Amber congrats go to you. I had smoked for 55 years. Yeah Yeah I know I am 69. After smoking 3 packs a day I finally decided it was time to quit. I did quit cold turkey. I was not going to let that stupid little white thing control my life and that is just what it did. Hopefully I am a bigger person than that little white thingy. I do not miss it at all. Sometimes I do get the cravings but I say to myself I have made it this far tobacco free and I will make it the rest of the way. However Amber I did gain 50 pounds but I am losing that now. Rather be overweight than die from lung cancer. Love ya The American Cancer Society could be a big help to you if you give them a chance.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #20
Head Chef

Amber,
That's fantastic!
I can't wait to hear about all of the new kitchen toys that you're going to be able to buy with your excess cash
I did it cold turkey a little over thirty years ago. It was pretty tough, but trying to cut down just didn't work for me.
Set your mind and go for it!
We're all behind you