"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #101
Head Chef

I am so proud of you YT2095.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #102
Assistant Cook

I quite smoking about three months ago and did so because of seeing my uncle from his visit from SC. This was the first time he was healthly enough to travel since finding out he has lung cancer. That was enough to slap me straight.

Keep it up!

Old 01-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #103
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
I'm really jealous of you folks.. sometimes I would like to quit smoking, I even don't like the smell of others when they "fresh smoked"...
but I don't have the power (yet?)...
When you do decide you will quit but it is not easy and cigarettes are very expensive in Germany and smoking seems to be more acceptable among the Deutch and many more Europeans.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:12 AM   #104
Master Chef

well, I have my "cigarette express"... ;o)
DH regulary drives to Prague and in the Czech Republic cigarettes are much cheaper ;o)
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #105
Executive Chef

So it's check in time. How is everyone doing? Today has been perhaps the best day so far physically but the mental, habitual part is still pretty strong. I am feeling a lot better and breathing better and I enjoy that and know it will get even better and I know I can not be near another smoker just yet. According to the info the nicotine and carbon monoxide is gone in my system but I'm wondering about the three to four thousand chemicals they put in cigs which is what I think makes them addictive in the first place fifty of them can cause cancer. So yes we not only battle the nicotine and habit thing but wonder how much the chemicals play a part in keeping a person addicted. UPDATE, DH just came home and I looked at the little catch all plate on the island cart and spied a cig it was broken at the butt but still a whole cig fortunately I was not in a craving mode and promptly destroyed it. MAN! I have no idea how I missed that one cause yesterday or the day before I would have jumped on that sucker. Another thing I have noticed is that some things I thought tasted good taste awful now like these generic dill pickle slices.
All I know is that any of us that have made it this far we must keep going as it can only get better and never give in to the beast not even once as that is how it gets us back.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #106
Master Chef

Went to the store yesterday and there was a guy hanging outside smoking, I just about jumped him to steal his cigs....
Old 01-05-2009, 06:57 PM   #107
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
well, I have my "cigarette express"... ;o)
DH regulary drives to Prague and in the Czech Republic cigarettes are much cheaper ;o)
Cara, do you know Alsenborn/Enkenbach or Kaiserslautern that is where my mother is from and where I grew up from five to ten years old mit mine OMA und OPA don't get too sure of my German because I have forgotten most of it.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:04 PM   #108
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Went to the store yesterday and there was a guy hanging outside smoking, I just about jumped him to steal his cigs....

I remember feeling that way!!
I still like the smell of smoke, unfortunately, but, that urge is not there like it use to. It's a passing urge, that's it. VERY easily forgotten.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:07 PM   #109
Chief Eating Officer

I agree TG. I still get the urges and some are stronger than others. I have not smoked in over 10 years, but sometimes it still hits you that you want it. My dad said it took him over 30 years to get to the point where he no longer has any cravings.

Do not let that scare you off though guys. The cravings get much more manageable and last much less time. You can all do it. Keep up the great work!
Old 01-05-2009, 07:11 PM   #110
Master Chef

There is an extra insetive to quit, I just read an article about Third Hand smoke related problem. This smoking stuff is real c***, I wish I never started. I'm not going back.