"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-07-2009, 07:56 PM   #141
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Snuff or dip is placed directly in the mouth between the gums and cheek and is just basically shredded tobacco that is still moist, no casing.
I have seen snuff or dip that was in a pouch. I forgot the brand name, but I have bought it before (back in my tobacco days). You did have to spit though.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:06 PM   #142
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I have seen snuff or dip that was in a pouch. I forgot the brand name, but I have bought it before (back in my tobacco days). You did have to spit though.
I remember that as well. Growing up there was 'pouchless' and then the ones in the pouch. Both you still had to spit out the juices, but with the pouch the idea was it was less messy.
I have no idea how they make this so you don't have to spit...

Old 01-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #143
Chief Eating Officer

I can't imagine what it does to your stomach.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #144
Executive Chef

Anyway those of us who chose to quit here on DC have gone too long to mess it up now because the hardest part is ending and I personally do not want to go through the beginning again. I'm feeling quite good I actually went to town and got through it I can also have drinks and not smoke but I don't think I can have drinks and be around other smokers not yet anyway.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:17 PM   #145
Master Chef

Yea I don't want to start over either, done that too many times as well! I do want to go slow and cautious this time around. My experience is that I have come across two types of successful quiters: Those that took thier time and included lifestyle and dietary changes in over the course of 6 months to a year, and those that went cold turkey and never looked back.
Cold turkey didn't work for me :( so I am going to go with slow and cautious, one step at a time. I have the patch, and they want you done with the program in 2 1/2 to 3 months. I think it should be done more over 6 or more months.
Even my therapists husband who is using the gum is taking more than 6 months and so far has not back slid.. gives me hope.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:21 PM   #146
Executive Chef

Anybody see the house I'm interested in? Check it out!
Old 01-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #147
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Yea I don't want to start over either, done that too many times as well! I do want to go slow and cautious this time around. My experience is that I have come across two types of successful quiters: Those that took thier time and included lifestyle and dietary changes in over the course of 6 months to a year, and those that went cold turkey and never looked back.
Cold turkey didn't work for me :( so I am going to go with slow and cautious, one step at a time. I have the patch, and they want you done with the program in 2 1/2 to 3 months. I think it should be done more over 6 or more months.
Even my therapists husband who is using the gum is taking more than 6 months and so far has not back slid.. gives me hope.
I think it depends on the person as far as I'm concerned I need to quit cold turkey only because I will hang on the last bit of nicotine and then just relapse back to smoking and I love/loved smoking. I do believe the patches, gum, lozenges just prolong the inevitable.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #148
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
I'm at 6 days 20 plus hours and over 200 cigs not smoked. My reward is a house we are looking anyway this may be the one we will look at it Monday. It's a great price if you don't mind living in the middle of nowhere on the high desert plains of New Mexico. Santa Fe is only 105 miles from this town the inside will need new floors, paint etc since it's stuck in retro 1979.
http://www.swranches.com/Geodesic/Flyer.pdf
This is a bump and please check out the house I want.( MAYBE)
Old 01-07-2009, 11:55 PM   #149
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
How is Snus different from snuff or dip or whatever else it is called?
OK, here's the deal. Let's forget about Camel snus because I don't really trust American tobacco companies as far as I can throw them... True Swedish snus which is available through mail order has been used by the Swedes for over 200 years.

There are several differences between snus and traditional smokeless tobacco. The main difference is that snus contains very little tobacco specific nitrosamines (TSNA's), which are the cancer causing agents in tobacco, smoked or smokeless. This is due to how snus is processed. It is air dried and steam cured, rather than heat dried, and fermented (dip, chew), or burnt as in smoking. A study conducted in Sweden over two+ decades showed no increase in occurences of oral cancer in snus users. This study was published in one of the most prestigious medical journals in the world, The Lancet.

Oral use of Swedish moist snuff (snus) and risk for cancer of the mouth, lung, and pancreas in male construction workers: a retrospective cohort study : The Lancet

Snus is smokeless, spitless pouches of tobacco that you place under your upper lip. They are very discreet, and IMHO they taste great.

They contain nicotine just like cigarettes, dip, Nicorette, patches, lozenges, etc. They work because they contain enough nicotine to curb the craving to smoke, which is not necessarily true for patches, gum, etc.

I won't try to claim that snus is for everyone, or that they are 100% safe. I will say that I love using snus as an alternative to cigarettes, and that they are 99.9% safer than cigarettes.

If you want more information, then PM me. I am serious that snus helped me kick a 20 year smoking habit.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:13 AM   #150
Master Chef

Thank you for the info RobsanX! Sounds interesting, I will have to check it out more and think about it as for me it is not only kicking the habit but getting off the Nicotine as well. With heart disease they really want all the nicotine out of my system, it causes the blood vessels to contract which is not good on partially blocked arteries!

Or put this way: The patch barely takes the edge off, but does help without hurting my chest. Whereas I smoke one cigarette and my chest hurts for the next couple of hours...