"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 12-31-2008, 10:04 AM   #11
Head Chef
I quit in July of 2007 after many, many years of smoking. It isn't easy, but you can do it. Good luck.

JustMeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:05 AM   #12
Hey YT, a very good friend of mine says he did a hypnosis thing and stopped that day and never looked back. Been over 10 years now. Do you have access to that?

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:34 AM   #13
Executive Chef
YT, I'm giving it my best shot as well I run out of cigs some time today. It's really hard to quit but I know at my age it's time. Think of all the money you will save as well. So I'm in with you I know all the tricks and triggers but just haven't had the strength due to my highly addictive personality but it must be done. I did quit once many years ago but screwed up by thinking I could take a few puffs here and there and ended up back on the cigs. But I can tell you that after you quit you will feel like you have never smoked mentally as well as physically the first few days are the hardest but it dos get easier it takes 21 days to break a habit. I bought some Commit lozenges hope they help. You are trying to break several reasons to smoke including physical, habitual, emotional. social etc.
I think all of us who want to quit may want to find a quitting forum and join together.
My mantra is going to be " It must be done"
"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it." - Julia Child
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:37 AM   #14
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to YT2095
no not really, I`m going plain old Cold Turkey, no patches or anything, just plenty of prayers and will power.
the DS Lite that I had for Christmas will help keep my hands occupied and brain engaged during harder times (that apparently only last 3-5 mins).
it also means that I`ll not be able to drink any alc for a good 6 months as that`s another Trap for me, every time I have a drink or 2 I want to smoke, so no booze for me until I`m sure I can handle the cravings (I estimate 6 months to be on the safe side).
Thanks each for the well wishes and encouragement! :)

edit: JP, that`s cool! I`m sure we can defeat the Nicotine Monsters in our brain ;)
So long and Thanks for all the Fish ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:46 AM   #15
Executive Chef
I was lucky enough to still be able to drink....lol.
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:49 AM   #16
Head Chef
The hardest time for me was the morning coffee...and I sure couldn't give that up.
Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:51 AM   #17
Executive Chef
I quit using the nic gum. I followed the "program" to the letter and it worked. It does help to have a group or friend or even better, a partner, such as your wife, for support! Congratulations on your decision and the resolve to do it! Best wishes for success.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:55 AM   #18
Master Chef
I never started. Good luck to you all!
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:04 AM   #19
Master Chef
YT; I've never been a smoker. But you already know where I stand, ready and willing to catch you if you need me. I'm just a P.M. away, or even a phone call. Besides, you now have multiple little ones (though the one is still in the oven, so-to-speak) who are relying on you to teach them about Newton's Laws of motion (especially as they apply to handling a fly line, I mean, hey, what better application of motion is there than casting a fly line?), and what about matter existing in two places simultaneously? Who's gonna help them understand that? And who can possible make them a bowl of good tomato soup with a grilled cheese samich like dear ol' Dad? You have a lot to stick around for, and you need to be in top health to keep up.

Every time you think about lighting up, look at your kids. You'll quit soon enough. Just put priorities where they belong. That will give you the strength.

Oh, and one more reason to quit; who will I have to back me up, or even correct me when I go off on a semi-tech tangent about food, here on DC if you are coughing so hard from smoke that you can't type?

You're an important friend, and like it or not, I don't like seeing my friends smoke. I've made more than one mad at me for picking on them when they used to light up. So go on. Make me respect you even more. My stepfather quit smoking cold turkey when he was about 35. He's the only guy I ever saw do it so solidly in one try. And there is no one I respect more. I know how hard it is. My own biological Dad couldn't finally quit, though he tried many times, until he was about 70 years old. And by then, it was too late. He died two years later from smoke related causes. Don't make your kids go through that. They love ya more even more than we do.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:27 AM   #20
Senior Cook
Good luck, YT.....I quit cold turkey on 11/30/08. I quit a couple other times and got to the 4 month mark and started smoking again, but always had the urge to have one more cigarette, this time I have no urge to smoke period. I am hoping this is for good but if not I will deal with it.

marigeorge is offline   Reply With Quote