"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-31-2008, 06:18 PM   #41
Head Chef

I have been quit for 1 Year, 5 Months, 3 Weeks, 1 Day, 5 hours, 15 minutes and 45 seconds (541 days). I have saved $3,720.88 by not smoking 13,530 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Month, 2 Weeks, 1 Day, 23 hours and 30 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 7/9/2007 1:00 PM

Old 12-31-2008, 06:22 PM   #42
Senior Cook

I quit smoking in 1997. It's hard but well worth it. Food tastes much better! :o)
The thing I found that helped me was that whenever I was "scheduled" to have a smoke, I had to divert myself to something else, so like when I got a craving I had to go clean something or go for a walk - anything that would give me a diversion. Just a suggestion....Best wishes to you, you can do it!! :o)

Old 12-31-2008, 06:24 PM   #43
Head Chef

I got my ego involved when I quit. I told myself with each passing day I have that much more to lose. Then, when things really made me want to smoke, I would tell myself that I could have one tomorrow. When tomorrow came, the feeling had always passed. I also used rewards. I bought myself small treats that were non-food related. That and having a parent with lung cancer and on oxygen helped to reinforce my decision. Good luck to you!
Old 12-31-2008, 06:26 PM   #44
Head Chef

Glorie, good advise. You have to keep yourself busy.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:59 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
well I guess that`s that now!
I just put my last one out.

Happy New Year each! ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:00 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Happy New Year, John. Best wishes for a great year ahead and success with stopping smoking.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:13 PM   #47
Executive Chef

I'm so upset right now DH is being an A** he has put up my smokiing since he has known me over eleven years and yes he's nagged me about it. I told a him to quit the nagging these past few days as I deal with finishing off what cigs I have left which is about eight more and yet tonight he's making the same nagging comments I finaly broke down and now I'm crying because he just doesn't get it and I have my own way of dealing with things. He tthinks you can just put them down like that easy peasy and has no idea how hard this is going to be for me even the build up to the end is hard. I don't know why he wont respect how I want to do things when before I had no intentions to quit and now that I do he wont give me that space.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:16 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Hang in there, Jackie. You know what YOU have to do and that's what you should do. Try to ignore him and take your first baby steps to successfully quitting smoking. You'll be able to do it, even in spite of adversity.

Come here when you need extra support. We'll be here.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:20 PM   #49
Master Chef

You can do it, any of you!! I will be one year on January 31st and Dh just celebrated 2 years.
I'm not gonna sugar coat it. It's hard, but, if you seriously want to, you can do it. One thing that helped me was to think of my mom and my niece, both having cancer, mom didn't make it, but, niece did after surgery, chemo and radiation. If they can go through that pain and suffering, I could dang well get through the pain of withdrawals.
I used Commit lozenges for 4 days, then, laid those down too. Just know that when you quit, you will be around longer for your new baby and wife too!!
This also helped me. It is still on my desktop and it will always stay. It's my trophy for winning!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	6540  
Old 12-31-2008, 07:44 PM   #50
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
I'm so upset right now DH is being an A** he has put up my smokiing since he has known me over eleven years and yes he's nagged me about it. I told a him to quit the nagging these past few days as I deal with finishing off what cigs I have left which is about eight more and yet tonight he's making the same nagging comments I finaly broke down and now I'm crying because he just doesn't get it and I have my own way of dealing with things. He tthinks you can just put them down like that easy peasy and has no idea how hard this is going to be for me even the build up to the end is hard. I don't know why he wont respect how I want to do things when before I had no intentions to quit and now that I do he wont give me that space.
No, it is not easy and if you are going to quit, you have to want it for yourself--to be healthier and live longer. It never works if you are quitting for someone else. Look back at what I wrote above. I quit the day my father had a right upper lobectomy and it was not easy but my techniques worked for me. I can't tell you the day, or year--it was so long ago. The point was I was going to become a non-smoker and keeping a record was meaningless to me.

Further, it took me several times before the quit stuck. When you are truly ready to stop, you will know.

And, you can always ask me about more of my quitting techniques. Another one--when worse came to worse, I went to bed early.