"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-02-2009, 10:45 PM   #71
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Hey guys just be glad you are doing this for yourselves.
kades
Not really, part of me wants to quit, part of me is resentful and sick and tired of being the one to always make the changes while the other parties seem content to never change no matter how troublesome it is to those around them...
But then, it was either I get to smoke for 5 years for sure, or quit and maybe get another 10 to 15 or even more... my choice.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:49 PM   #72
Executive Chef

One thing I find amazing is that non smokers are more understanding then ex smokers some ex smokers are so self rightous as oppsosed to smokers one would think they would be more understanding

Old 01-02-2009, 10:49 PM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Not really, part of me wants to quit, part of me is resentful and sick and tired of being the one to always make the changes while the other parties seem content to never change no matter how troublesome it is to those around them...
But then, it was either I get to smoke for 5 years for sure, or quit and maybe get another 10 to 15 or even more... my choice.
Exactly, YOUR choice
kades
Old 01-02-2009, 10:54 PM   #74
Executive Chef

This is the truth you have to do it for your self and no one else
Old 01-02-2009, 10:57 PM   #75
Master Chef

Right now I am leaning towards a pack a day and over 5 years... but I am sure by now you have figured out it is the nicotine talking...
Still, all that nagging over the years has still built up a lot of resentment and makes it feel less like my choice and more like forced by circumstances and a nagging...
Anyway... one more day almost gone...
Old 01-02-2009, 10:58 PM   #76
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
ex smokers are so self righteous
Yep, Jackie. Buck always said the worst person to talk about "quitting" smoking was the one who was someone who had quit. He dreaded talking to a friend/acquaintance who had quit somewhat earlier than Buck had. He got all the "whys" and "it's better for you" lectures, etc.

In the end, Buck quit cold turkey without anyone's nagging. Really, that's what the decision has to be. Yours!!! Buck was at 3 packs a day when he quit. It's possible.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:05 PM   #77
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Right now I am leaning towards a pack a day and over 5 years... but I am sure by now you have figured out it is the nicotine talking...
Still, all that nagging over the years has still built up a lot of resentment and makes it feel less like my choice and more like forced by circumstances and a nagging...
Anyway... one more day almost gone...
I know the nagging dos not help and makes one not want to quit they just don't understand that nagging will not make you quit and you will only quit when you want to quit no matter what anybody else says it's such a personal battle we do not need the nagging but for them to just leave us alone.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #78
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Yep, Jackie. Buck always said the worst person to talk about "quitting" smoking was the one who was someone who had quit. He dreaded talking to a friend/acquaintance who had quit somewhat earlier than Buck had. He got all the "whys" and "it's better for you" lectures, etc.

In the end, Buck quit cold turkey without anyone's nagging. Really, that's what the decision has to be. Yours!!! Buck was at 3 packs a day when he quit. It's possible.
You are right it seems some ex smokers just get right down nasty rather than understanding
Old 01-02-2009, 11:20 PM   #79
Master Chef

Ugg, those are the worst!! I used to think, "Geez, if this is the kind of person you turn into after quitting.... maybe I don't wanna quit!"
You would think they would try and be a positive example instead.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:29 PM   #80
Head Chef

Hang it there! Find yourself a good personal reason for quitting, be it silly or serious.. just something you feel strongly about.
And use that reason as your shield against all those oh-so-subtle-and-powerful urges.
Hardest thing I ever did in my life, but it sure is nice not stinking anymore! ;)