Quitting Smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I quite smoking about three months ago and did so because of seeing my uncle from his visit from SC. This was the first time he was healthly enough to travel since finding out he has lung cancer. That was enough to slap me straight.

Keep it up!

I'm really jealous of you folks.. sometimes I would like to quit smoking, I even don't like the smell of others when they "fresh smoked"...
but I don't have the power (yet?)...
:) When you do decide you will quit but it is not easy and cigarettes are very expensive in Germany and smoking seems to be more acceptable among the Deutch and many more Europeans.

well, I have my "cigarette express"... ;o)
DH regulary drives to Prague and in the Czech Republic cigarettes are much cheaper ;o)

:):) So it's check in time. How is everyone doing? Today has been perhaps the best day so far physically but the mental, habitual part is still pretty strong. I am feeling a lot better and breathing better and I enjoy that and know it will get even better and I know I can not be near another smoker just yet. According to the info the nicotine and carbon monoxide is gone in my system but I'm wondering about the three to four thousand chemicals they put in cigs which is what I think makes them addictive in the first place fifty of them can cause cancer. So yes we not only battle the nicotine and habit thing but wonder how much the chemicals play a part in keeping a person addicted. UPDATE, DH just came home and I looked at the little catch all plate on the island cart and spied a cig it was broken at the butt but still a whole cig fortunately I was not in a craving mode and promptly destroyed it. MAN! I have no idea how I missed that one cause yesterday or the day before I would have jumped on that sucker. Another thing I have noticed is that some things I thought tasted good taste awful now like these generic dill pickle slices.
All I know is that any of us that have made it this far we must keep going as it can only get better and never give in to the beast not even once as that is how it gets us back.

Went to the store yesterday and there was a guy hanging outside smoking, I just about jumped him to steal his cigs....

well, I have my "cigarette express"... ;o)
DH regulary drives to Prague and in the Czech Republic cigarettes are much cheaper ;o)
:) Cara, do you know Alsenborn/Enkenbach or Kaiserslautern that is where my mother is from and where I grew up from five to ten years old mit mine OMA und OPA don't get too sure of my German because I have forgotten most of it. ;)

Went to the store yesterday and there was a guy hanging outside smoking, I just about jumped him to steal his cigs....

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:
I remember feeling that way!!
I still like the smell of smoke, unfortunately, but, that urge is not there like it use to. It's a passing urge, that's it. VERY easily forgotten.

I agree TG. I still get the urges and some are stronger than others. I have not smoked in over 10 years, but sometimes it still hits you that you want it. My dad said it took him over 30 years to get to the point where he no longer has any cravings.

Do not let that scare you off though guys. The cravings get much more manageable and last much less time. You can all do it. Keep up the great work!

There is an extra insetive to quit, I just read an article about Third Hand smoke related problem. This smoking stuff is real c***, I wish I never started. I'm not going back.

I agree TG. I still get the urges and some are stronger than others. I have not smoked in over 10 years, but sometimes it still hits you that you want it. My dad said it took him over 30 years to get to the point where he no longer has any cravings.

Do not let that scare you off though guys. The cravings get much more manageable and last much less time. You can all do it. Keep up the great work!

And dh HATES the smell. It's VERY rare for him to get a craving at all!!:wacko: I think it just depends on the person.

About 1980 or so Buck quit cold turkey. This, after a 3-pack a day habit. I was impressed with his self-control. He said quitting smoking was one of the best things he ever did and commented that it took a couple of years to get over the cravings that happened at the time he routinely had a cigarette. He smoked a pipe for a few years after stopping cigarettes, but that didn't last long.

Hang in there folks. It can be done.

so far so good here, although today seems quite a bit harder than yesterday for some reason?
I don`t seem to have gotten past the craving that started with my morning coffee, I was woken up before I was ready this morning, so maybe tiredness is a trigger?
I can certainly say that I`v noticed a huge difference in my brain chemistry to that of a few days ago, and so I estimate that the Physical side of withdrawl is past it`s peak now, and I didn`t Kill anyone!

i smoked for 20 years and then 3 years ago i came down with bacterial pneumonia and had a stroke. i was in the hospital for 4 months and a nursing home for rehab for 2 months. i'm now disabled but i'm back home and i feel lucky to be alive.

i wish you a lot of good luck in quiting. :)

Lifesaver, may you continue to feel better and get stronger and stronger. As your signature says, "Eat, drink, laugh and be happy!"

YT : Good you are quitting smoking! Is hard, but you can do it! One thing that helped me (I was like a chimney, one cigarrete after another) was to drink a lot of fruit and vegetable juices, that replenish the vitamines and minerales lost with my diet of coffee and cigarrette.
Something thart helped me when I ""NEEDED"" a cigarrette; I got some pieces of licorice, cut very small and chew one of them. that helped me to forget the cigarrete.

Also: congratulations on the new baby that is coming!

:w00t2::w00t::w00t2::cry: Man they make this hard don't they???????

In addition to the patch I use a prescription inhaler to help when the craving is too much for the patch to handle.

I also eat and drink lots more fruits and veggies, it helps. I tried sugar free gum, but the kids keep getting into it and it disappears!:glare:

Back
Top Bottom