Quitting Smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Snuff or dip is placed directly in the mouth between the gums and cheek and is just basically shredded tobacco that is still moist, no casing.

I have seen snuff or dip that was in a pouch. I forgot the brand name, but I have bought it before (back in my tobacco days). You did have to spit though.

I have seen snuff or dip that was in a pouch. I forgot the brand name, but I have bought it before (back in my tobacco days). You did have to spit though.

I remember that as well. Growing up there was 'pouchless' and then the ones in the pouch. Both you still had to spit out the juices, but with the pouch the idea was it was less messy.
I have no idea how they make this so you don't have to spit...

:) Anyway those of us who chose to quit here on DC have gone too long to mess it up now because the hardest part is ending and I personally do not want to go through the beginning again. I'm feeling quite good I actually went to town and got through it I can also have drinks and not smoke but I don't think I can have drinks and be around other smokers not yet anyway.

Yea I don't want to start over either, done that too many times as well! I do want to go slow and cautious this time around. My experience is that I have come across two types of successful quiters: Those that took thier time and included lifestyle and dietary changes in over the course of 6 months to a year, and those that went cold turkey and never looked back.
Cold turkey didn't work for me :( so I am going to go with slow and cautious, one step at a time. I have the patch, and they want you done with the program in 2 1/2 to 3 months. I think it should be done more over 6 or more months.
Even my therapists husband who is using the gum is taking more than 6 months and so far has not back slid.. gives me hope.

:)
Yea I don't want to start over either, done that too many times as well! I do want to go slow and cautious this time around. My experience is that I have come across two types of successful quiters: Those that took thier time and included lifestyle and dietary changes in over the course of 6 months to a year, and those that went cold turkey and never looked back.
Cold turkey didn't work for me :( so I am going to go with slow and cautious, one step at a time. I have the patch, and they want you done with the program in 2 1/2 to 3 months. I think it should be done more over 6 or more months.
Even my therapists husband who is using the gum is taking more than 6 months and so far has not back slid.. gives me hope.
:) I think it depends on the person as far as I'm concerned I need to quit cold turkey only because I will hang on the last bit of nicotine and then just relapse back to smoking and I love/loved smoking. I do believe the patches, gum, lozenges just prolong the inevitable.

:) I'm at 6 days 20 plus hours and over 200 cigs not smoked. My reward is a house we are looking anyway this may be the one we will look at it Monday. It's a great price if you don't mind living in the middle of nowhere on the high desert plains of New Mexico. Santa Fe is only 105 miles from this town the inside will need new floors, paint etc since it's stuck in retro 1979.
http://www.swranches.com/Geodesic/Flyer.pdf

:) This is a bump and please check out the house I want.( MAYBE):)

How is Snus different from snuff or dip or whatever else it is called?

OK, here's the deal. Let's forget about Camel snus because I don't really trust American tobacco companies as far as I can throw them... True Swedish snus which is available through mail order has been used by the Swedes for over 200 years.

There are several differences between snus and traditional smokeless tobacco. The main difference is that snus contains very little tobacco specific nitrosamines (TSNA's), which are the cancer causing agents in tobacco, smoked or smokeless. This is due to how snus is processed. It is air dried and steam cured, rather than heat dried, and fermented (dip, chew), or burnt as in smoking. A study conducted in Sweden over two+ decades showed no increase in occurences of oral cancer in snus users. This study was published in one of the most prestigious medical journals in the world, The Lancet.

Oral use of Swedish moist snuff (snus) and risk for cancer of the mouth, lung, and pancreas in male construction workers: a retrospective cohort study : The Lancet

Snus is smokeless, spitless pouches of tobacco that you place under your upper lip. They are very discreet, and IMHO they taste great.

They contain nicotine just like cigarettes, dip, Nicorette, patches, lozenges, etc. They work because they contain enough nicotine to curb the craving to smoke, which is not necessarily true for patches, gum, etc.

I won't try to claim that snus is for everyone, or that they are 100% safe. I will say that I love using snus as an alternative to cigarettes, and that they are 99.9% safer than cigarettes.

If you want more information, then PM me. I am serious that snus helped me kick a 20 year smoking habit.

Thank you for the info RobsanX! Sounds interesting, I will have to check it out more and think about it as for me it is not only kicking the habit but getting off the Nicotine as well. With heart disease they really want all the nicotine out of my system, it causes the blood vessels to contract which is not good on partially blocked arteries!

Or put this way: The patch barely takes the edge off, but does help without hurting my chest. Whereas I smoke one cigarette and my chest hurts for the next couple of hours...

Thank you for the info RobsanX! Sounds interesting, I will have to check it out more and think about it as for me it is not only kicking the habit but getting off the Nicotine as well. With heart disease they really want all the nicotine out of my system, it causes the blood vessels to contract which is not good on partially blocked arteries!

Or put this way: The patch barely takes the edge off, but does help without hurting my chest. Whereas I smoke one cigarette and my chest hurts for the next couple of hours...

NP, I'm happy to oblige. I use snus because I like it, and it's much healthier than smoking. Others use it as a nicotine replacement therapy because it works, and it's about 10% of the cost of other things like patches, gum, etc.

I don't want to endorse a tobacco product to non-users, but we all know that smoking kills. It's time to get serious about getting people of the cigs, and I see snus as a viable alternative to the traditional methods of quitting.

Nice house Jackie! What a great way to not only reward yourself but to give you added incentive. You won't want to smoke in it! :)

:) Which is exactly why you need to cowboy up and quit using these crutches. You are all ready sick and need to decide to live:)

Cold turkey doesn't work for everyone, it didn't and won't work for me. I can only fight one aspect of this at a time as I am already fighting multiple battles on multiple fronts just to keep functioning LOL!
For now keep the nicotine, at least without smoke you are not taking in carcinogens, tar, additives, etc. And this leaves me to fight the habit itself for now. Although truthfully the patch I am on is 7mg which is about 1/10th of what I was intaking on 20+ a day so it is already reduced down.

:) My update, I had several urges not cravings today they also need dealing with they are this instant thought about lighting up but then you realize you are not smoking and say CRAP it does pass in about 30 seconds.

:) So while I and others are here on this quest to beat the beast and with the support of our fellow DC members. I had a thought, why are there no really good clinics to go to to help people quit? So I started to think what would I look for a place that would guide one through this proccess as easy as possible. So here is what I came up with so far it would be a sort of spa type place that would include and please add your thoughts as well
Classes on what to expect when quiting
Massages
Detoxing Diets as much or as little you want
Saunas and Steam Rooms to sweat out the nicotine and chemicals
Group talks for support
Fresh fruit and vegies everywhere
Breathing Excercises
Your choice of physical excercise
Yoga to relax and energize body
Places to go and do all the primal screaming you want
Hypnosis if you want
Doctors on stand by for at least the first 3-4 days to sedate you to help get past the physical addiction.
What else would you add to this place?

Cold turkey doesn't work for everyone, it didn't and won't work for me. I can only fight one aspect of this at a time as I am already fighting multiple battles on multiple fronts just to keep functioning LOL!
For now keep the nicotine, at least without smoke you are not taking in carcinogens, tar, additives, etc. And this leaves me to fight the habit itself for now. Although truthfully the patch I am on is 7mg which is about 1/10th of what I was intaking on 20+ a day so it is already reduced down.
:) OK. I just want you to be around a long time we have lost too many here on DC as it is.;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom