Quitting Smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YT2095

Executive Chef
I`v had an idea, is there anyone else on here that`s planning to quit smoking this New Years eve?
apparently you`re more likely to succeed if you quit as a Group or with a partner (according to statistics).
so maybe we can use this thread to help each other out?

I`v been smoking almost exactly 30 years now, but the main "Traps" that have prevented me from quitting until now are mostly gone (my wife`s quit because she`s pregnant so I don`t have that pressure, and non of my friends smoke either now).

so how about it, shall we give it a go?

When I finally quit smoking I did it with 2 other friends. Two of us were successful and I credit a large part of our success to having a friend to go through it with at the same time. We were able to lean on each other and complain to each other and support each other like no one else could. We got each other through the hard moments when we were at our weakest.

Join in people. Help each other out.

(and Merry X-mas and Happy New Year to you too YT!)

I quit back in August. It was a great decision! I did it using Swedish Snus which is a smokeless, spitless, tobacco pouch that doesn't have all the cancer causing chemicals that cigarettes and American smokeless have.

YT, first of all Congrats on the impending new edition! I didn't know about that! Second of all, there is a Social Group on here (I think) dedicated to quitting. I'm not sure how active it is, but it might be some help. Good luck!

Congratulations, YT, on your pending family addition.

Good luck with quitting, it ain't easy but you can do it.

Congratualtions on your new addition as well as your decision. I quit a little over 8 years ago after having smoked for over 25 years. Once you decide that you REALLY want to quit, you'll be able to. I tried the patch and the gum but it only worked for me when I had had enough and I just put them down and walk away.

I quit March 27th, 2008. I used Chantix for a few months and also read a book on quitting smoking. I had a small group online that defo helped. The group thing is a good idea and if I can help in some way, let me know. I smoked a pack a day for 20 years. It's hard, but doable.

Hey YT, a very good friend of mine says he did a hypnosis thing and stopped that day and never looked back. Been over 10 years now. Do you have access to that?

:) YT, I'm giving it my best shot as well I run out of cigs some time today. It's really hard to quit but I know at my age it's time. Think of all the money you will save as well. So I'm in with you I know all the tricks and triggers but just haven't had the strength due to my highly addictive personality but it must be done. I did quit once many years ago but screwed up by thinking I could take a few puffs here and there and ended up back on the cigs. But I can tell you that after you quit you will feel like you have never smoked mentally as well as physically the first few days are the hardest but it dos get easier it takes 21 days to break a habit. I bought some Commit lozenges hope they help. You are trying to break several reasons to smoke including physical, habitual, emotional. social etc.
I think all of us who want to quit may want to find a quitting forum and join together.
My mantra is going to be " It must be done"

no not really, I`m going plain old Cold Turkey, no patches or anything, just plenty of prayers and will power.
the DS Lite that I had for Christmas will help keep my hands occupied and brain engaged during harder times (that apparently only last 3-5 mins).
it also means that I`ll not be able to drink any alc for a good 6 months as that`s another Trap for me, every time I have a drink or 2 I want to smoke, so no booze for me until I`m sure I can handle the cravings (I estimate 6 months to be on the safe side).
Thanks each for the well wishes and encouragement! :)

edit: JP, that`s cool! I`m sure we can defeat the Nicotine Monsters in our brain ;)

The hardest time for me was the morning coffee...and I sure couldn't give that up.

I quit using the nic gum. I followed the "program" to the letter and it worked. It does help to have a group or friend or even better, a partner, such as your wife, for support! Congratulations on your decision and the resolve to do it! Best wishes for success.

YT; I've never been a smoker. But you already know where I stand, ready and willing to catch you if you need me. I'm just a P.M. away, or even a phone call. Besides, you now have multiple little ones (though the one is still in the oven, so-to-speak) who are relying on you to teach them about Newton's Laws of motion (especially as they apply to handling a fly line, I mean, hey, what better application of motion is there than casting a fly line?:cool:), and what about matter existing in two places simultaneously? Who's gonna help them understand that? And who can possible make them a bowl of good tomato soup with a grilled cheese samich like dear ol' Dad? You have a lot to stick around for, and you need to be in top health to keep up.

Every time you think about lighting up, look at your kids. You'll quit soon enough. Just put priorities where they belong. That will give you the strength.

Oh, and one more reason to quit; who will I have to back me up, or even correct me when I go off on a semi-tech tangent about food, here on DC if you are coughing so hard from smoke that you can't type?

You're an important friend, and like it or not, I don't like seeing my friends smoke. I've made more than one mad at me for picking on them when they used to light up. So go on. Make me respect you even more. My stepfather quit smoking cold turkey when he was about 35. He's the only guy I ever saw do it so solidly in one try. And there is no one I respect more. I know how hard it is. My own biological Dad couldn't finally quit, though he tried many times, until he was about 70 years old. And by then, it was too late. He died two years later from smoke related causes. Don't make your kids go through that. They love ya more even more than we do.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Good luck, YT.....I quit cold turkey on 11/30/08. I quit a couple other times and got to the 4 month mark and started smoking again, but always had the urge to have one more cigarette, this time I have no urge to smoke period. I am hoping this is for good but if not I will deal with it.

Back
Top Bottom