"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-06-2019, 08:41 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,499
QVC food

Have you ever purchased food from QVC?

We've bought Mrs. Prindables chocolate and confection covered apples from QVC to give to my son's teachers as gifts before. The whole "apple for the teacher" idea.

They were inexpensive and very tasty. The teachers always seemed to appreciate them.

Recently, though, I've noticed some other foods on QVC that were ridiculously expensive.

Today's special was Faroe Island salmon portions. Just $70 for seven 5 oz. portions.



Only $32 per pound.

For salmon.

Last week, they had tiny medallions of beef tenderloin plus tenderloin tips for $105.

Tenderloin trimmings for $15 per pound.

When I hear the sales guy mention that they've sold thpusands upon thousands of each of these, I have to wonder who is buying them, and could they possibly be worth the ridiculous cost?

Have you ever bought food from QVC, and did you enjoy it?

__________________

__________________
Do I have to tell the story
Of a thousand rainy days since we first met
It's a big enough umbrella
But it's always me that ends up getting wet
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:15 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 21,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Have you ever purchased food from QVC?

We've bought Mrs. Prindables chocolate and confection covered apples from QVC to give to my son's teachers as gifts before. The whole "apple for the teacher" idea.

They were inexpensive and very tasty. The teachers always seemed to appreciate them.

Recently, though, I've noticed some other foods on QVC that were ridiculously expensive.

Today's special was Faroe Island salmon portions. Just $70 for seven 5 oz. portions.



Only $32 per pound.

For salmon.

Last week, they had tiny medallions of beef tenderloin plus tenderloin tips for $105.

Tenderloin trimmings for $15 per pound.

When I hear the sales guy mention that they've sold thpusands upon thousands of each of these, I have to wonder who is buying them, and could they possibly be worth the ridiculous cost?

Have you ever bought food from QVC, and did you enjoy it?
I have a friend in Atlanta and about twice a year she sends me the small croissants from QVC. They are delicious. I never checked the price on them.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:53 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,918
My brother worked for QVC for years as an executive producer or something like that. I don't recall him expressing an opinion about the food they sold, though he did have some fun stories about Paula Deen and a few other TV food personalities.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:43 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 11,937
QVC sells food? Wow, I'm missing out on a lot by not having cable.

Not.

bucky, I bet $10 a pound salmon would be just as good of a meal if accompanied by a bottle of $20 wine. I do have my priorities.
__________________
Popcorn for breakfast! Why not? It's a grain. It's like, like, grits, but with high self-esteem. ~ James Patterson
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:43 AM   #5
Executive Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 4,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
QVC sells food? Wow, I'm missing out on a lot by not having cable.

Not.

bucky, I bet $10 a pound salmon would be just as good of a meal if accompanied by a bottle of $20 wine. I do have my priorities.
I thought QVC was only a place to buy cubic zirconium jewelry and Revolutionary War collectors plates.

They sell food?

Trump Steaks, perhaps? Precooked to well-done?

CD
__________________
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” Winnie-the-Pooh
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:58 AM   #6
Executive Chef
 
medtran49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,836
DD and family have bought food from them or HSN before. Pretty sure it was QVC though. I know they have bought other food items but only thing I really remember is a cheesecake assortment because they really like it and it's a recurring purchase.
medtran49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:22 PM   #7
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 4,055
I have not bought food from QVC... I do know it is pricey even though have some brand names you can easily recognize,

They have sold meat from the rastelli market

Kansas City Steaks

Corky's BBQ

Greenhead Lobster

Cushman's Honeybells

Squirrle Brand Nuts

Germack nuts

Wine from "Mr. Wonderful" Kevin O'leary

Russel Stover candy with exclusive flavors

Harry London choclate

Junior's Cheesecakes

Jimmy the baker

Cheryl's Cookies.

Authentic Gourmet croissants.

Perfect Gourmet Pot Stickers

Smithfield Ham.

Ms. Prindables Apples.
__________________
Have you had your habanero pepper today????
The hotter the pepper, the better the pepper!!!
kleenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:56 AM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Have you ever purchased food from QVC?

…. snipped …..

When I hear the sales guy mention that they've sold thpusands upon thousands of each of these, I have to wonder who is buying them, and could they possibly be worth the ridiculous cost?

Have you ever bought food from QVC, and did you enjoy it?
I must say, way back in the day, I purchased some item that was just ridiculously priced, but man it looked so flippin' good, I jumped on the phone and ordered it! I should say that I was also ridiculously DRUNK, young and stupid too Why do you think they put this stuff on TV late at night?
__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:40 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 12,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
I must say, way back in the day, I purchased some item that was just ridiculously priced, but man it looked so flippin' good, I jumped on the phone and ordered it! I should say that I was also ridiculously DRUNK, young and stupid too Why do you think they put this stuff on TV late at night?

I actually laughed out loud over that one Kgirl. Been there done that more than once too.
Ohhh, those were the days.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:11 PM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I actually laughed out loud over that one Kgirl. Been there done that more than once too.
Ohhh, those were the days.
I read this out loud to DH and HE laughed out loud!!!
Yup, been there done that!
__________________

__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
food

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.