"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2017, 05:25 PM   #1
Master Chef

R.I.P. Gomer

Jim Nabors, who made cheery Gomer Pyle a TV icon, dies at 87

NEW YORK (AP) — Jim Nabors made good on his last name when he brought Gomer Pyle to "The Andy Griffith Show." His big-hearted, ever-cheery gas-pump jockey was a neighborly fit in the easygoing town of Mayberry.
But when Gomer enlisted in the Marines for five TV seasons, he truly blossomed. So did the actor who portrayed him.
Nabors, who died Thursday at 87, made Pvt. Gomer Pyle a perfect foil for the immovable object of Marines boot camp: Grinning, gentle Gomer was the irresistible force.

On "Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.," a spinoff from "The Andy Griffith Show" that premiered in 1964, Gomer arrived in the fictional Camp Henderson with a happy attitude and eager innocence that flew in the face of everything he found awaiting him there, especially irascible Sgt. Vince Carter, played by Frank Sutton.
It's a measure of Nabors' skill in inhabiting the anything-but-militaristic Gomer that this character was widely beloved, and the show a Top 10 hit, during an era when the Vietnam War was dividing America. His trademark "Shazam," ''Gollllll-lee," and "Surprise, surprise, surprise" were parroted by millions.
But Nabors had another character to offer his fans: himself, a booming baritone. In appearances on TV variety programs, he stunned viewers with the contrast between his twangy, homespun humor ("The tornado was so bad a hen laid the same egg twice") and his full-throated vocals.
He was a double threat, as he demonstrated for two seasons starting in 1969 on "The Jim Nabors Hour," a variety series where he joshed with guest stars, did sketches with Sutton and fellow "Gomer" veteran Ronnie Schell, and sang country and opera.
Offstage and off-camera, Nabors retained some of the awed innocence of Gomer. At the height of his fame in 1969, he admitted, "I still find it difficult to believe this kind of acceptance. I still don't trust it."
After his variety show, Nabors continued earning high salaries in Las Vegas showrooms and in concert theaters across the country. He recorded more than two dozen albums and sang with the Dallas and St. Louis symphony orchestras.
During the 1970s he moved to Hawaii, buying a 500-acre macadamia ranch. He still did occasional TV work, and in the late 1970s, he appeared 10 months annually at Hilton hotels in Hawaii. The pace gave him an ulcer.
"I was completely burned out," he later recalled. "I'd had it with the bright lights."
In the early 1980s, his longtime friendship with Burt Reynolds led to roles in "Stroker Ace," ''Cannonball II" and "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas."

Read More >>> https://observer-reporter.com/ap/nat...6-6b94667a3c5d

I LOVED his singing voice.

This is one of my favorite songs he sang.

msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:46 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

RIP, Mr. Nabors.

That was beautiful, msmofet.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:56 PM   #3
Head Chef

Shazaam!
Old 12-03-2017, 01:15 AM   #4
Head Chef

What a dichotomy. In his acting role as Gomer Pyle, he was so timid, with a weak and excessive southern twang, and yet had this amazing classical tenor voice. My heart goes out to his family, and to his partner, Stan Cadwallader, who I understand was by his side when he died.

CD
Old 12-03-2017, 08:35 AM   #5
Head Chef

May he RIP always.

I can remember watching Gomer Pyle with my cousin at my grandmother's house, sitting under the kitchen table. It would come on before wrestling and we always sat under the table to watch wrestling and eat ice cream because our grandmother and aunts/uncles always had all the regular chairs in the kitchen. Some o our aunts/uncles got a little excited with the wrestling so maybe we felt safer under the table (in our funny kids minds).
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:27 AM   #6
Certified Cake Maniac

My Mom met Jim Nabors a long time ago. He was fairly new then and was singing at a Vancouver Club called The Cave. She said he was very nice and gracious. He was actually going through the audience during his breaks and talking to people. It was one of the highlights of her life!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote