"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-10-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
Master Chef

Raccoon moves in

This morning we heard my dog, Chloe raising Caine, and discovered she had a raccoon treed behind my old shop building. When DH and I zipped out there in the golf cart to take a picture, the coon decided to make a run for it. There's a small opening under the garage door of the shop where my shop cats used to go in and out, and where strays sometimes find a home now. The coon wiggled under the door before Chloe could catch it, and try as she might, she couldn't fit, thank goodness, or it might have hurt her badly. Raccoons are mean critters when they're cornered.
I was surprised that Chloe was so brave, but I think she thought it was just another cat.
I left a message with animal control. They have live traps for raccoons, and release the animals out by Rend Lake once they catch them.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:52 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
release the animals out by Rend Lake once they catch them.
Constance, I think they release them in my backyard!!! You're right, they can be nasty, glad Chloe's ok.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:21 AM   #3
Executive Chef

If you give it time the raccoon may leave on it's own.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Just a reminder to anyone who lives near raccoons--Make sure your pets have had their rabies shots, and make sure your kids know not to try to pet them (the raccoons that is, not your pets! lol). I have read that raccoons spread more rabies than any other animal.

They are cute little guys though!

Barbara
Old 04-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
They have live traps for raccoons, and release the animals out by Rend Lake once they catch them.
I`m pleased about that, the creature`s probably more scared that you guys were, glad no one was hurt either.

I`d be tempted to take some Pictures though

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #6
Executive Chef

When we see raccoon running across road we always slow up so he makes it across. My brother sighs when he sees raccoon smashed on road. For that manner, he loves all wildlife. Constance, you know so much about the outdoors like jpmcgrew, can you tell me what to do when skunk sprays your dogs? Do skunks bite also like the raccoon? Seldom see these critters but they use what they can to keep you away. When walking up in cemetery early morning, still dark, they all seem to be active at night. Life is so interesting if you only take the time to observe and not watch tv indoors all the time.

Thanks Constance for sharing this story. Makes one think of something else other than things you wish you could forget. Love animals.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I love animals also, but......We have a major racxoon problem in Toronto and the surrounding suburbs. We never see them here during the day, only at night. They are so brazen, I have walked out into the backyard, and they just turn and look at me. And yes, many of ours are rabid. One of my brothers lives outside TO. They had a pet racoon (Ruby) until she fell in love and ran away from home. The SPCA and local vets know him, so if anyone brings in an abandoned litter of racoons, they call him, and he raises them until they can be released. I have often wondered why? We already have hundreds of thousands of them that wreak havoc. But, yes, they are cute.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:04 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loprraine View Post
I love animals also, but......We have a major racxoon problem in Toronto and the surrounding suburbs. We never see them here during the day, only at night. They are so brazen, I have walked out into the backyard, and they just turn and look at me. And yes, many of ours are rabid. One of my brothers lives outside TO. They had a pet racoon (Ruby) until she fell in love and ran away from home. The SPCA and local vets know him, so if anyone brings in an abandoned litter of racoons, they call him, and he raises them until they can be released. I have often wondered why? We already have hundreds of thousands of them that wreak havoc. But, yes, they are cute.
Must run in our brothers. Always kids at heart. Bring home anything that they can handle. I bet your brother is good as gold. Mine is. Helps me more than anyone else in the family. Guess he considers me like the raccoons, want to be loved.

I have had that experience where they don't run. Just like defy your chance to scare them. I thought we were supposed to be higher than they are? We are the ones that are in control, right?
Old 04-11-2008, 05:24 PM   #9
Head Chef

A number of years ago a pregnant mom coon was able to get into our attic. Unscrewed a vent and got in. Secured the vent so even a Ph.D. reacoon in vent unscrewing could not get in and then caught them with a Havahart trap (justs traps them, no injury).

Gave the mom and the kits to a proper shelter except for two who did not make it.

Baited the trap with peanut butter and it worked like a charm.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:27 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot View Post
Baited the trap with peanut butter and it worked like a charm.
aunt dot, my brother has an animal nuisance trapping biz. He says the racoons also love strawberry pie filling.