"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 06-19-2006, 05:58 PM   #1
Master Chef
Rachael Ray Talk Show

Although I've enjoyed using one of her cookbooks, don't really like her overly-bubbly-I'm-on-crack" personality on her Food Network shows.

Now they're uberadvertising her new TALK SHOW on the Fox network. Save us, please.

Like we can almost nearly stand the what, 4-5 shows she has on Food Network?? Now she has a TALK show??? I'd vomit, but I'm afraid I'd choke on it.

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:07 PM   #2
Executive Chef
They're trying to make a female Emril out of her.

marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:12 PM   #3
Senior Cook
Although she can be annoying once in a while, I like her, as well as most on FoodTV

SNPiccolo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:34 PM   #4
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I like her but cannot imagine watching her talk show. She can be annoying - better not tell DeadlySushi about this!
Michele Marie
Michelemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:39 PM   #5
Sous Chef
She seems to be one of those people who fears that if she makes a joke people won't get that she's joking, so she compulsivly laughs way to loud after every slightly humourous comment she makes.
Noncooks think it's silly to invest two hours' work in two minutes' enjoyment; but if cooking is evanescent, so is the ballet. -Julia Child
Banana Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:16 AM   #6
Head Chef
Originally Posted by Banana Brain
She seems to be one of those people who fears that if she makes a joke people won't get that she's joking, so she compulsivly laughs way to loud after every slightly humourous comment she makes.
she was so much better in her old shows,poised,less talkative.She was even skinnier before,i think she has gained a lot of weight over the years,and with that,she has become much more talkative,her face expressions are extravagant,her hands move all the time...i dont know she seems never to be at peace.i'd love to see her talk less,and less loudly,and smile softly instead of laughing out loud every 2 seconds.i liked her a lot a few years back.She annoys me a great deal now.
Don't let love interfere with your appetite. It never does with mine.
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:58 AM   #7
Senior Cook
While I don't wish to discount her abilities, I must say, she's annoyed me from the first time I saw her.

The female singer I work with, however, has exactly the opposite opinion. She loves Rachael, and hates Alton Brown. Most of the other people I've spoken with in person like her as well. I was therefore quite surprised to recently find there are whole websites dedicated to reviling her. Surprised, but not entirely displeased.

Yes, her incessant laughter annoys me. I don't particularly worry about her "talking with her hands", I do that a lot myself. I also don't worry much about all the other things most people cite. What really bothers me is the same, fundamental thing that bothers me about Emeril. I really have no evidence of this, but my nearly five decades on the earth makes me pretty sure, nonetheless. They both look and act as if they are fully capable of getting really nasty if anyone gets in their way.

Doc Gibbs, the bandleader on Emeril's show, has said on camera Emeril can play drums, and I have seen Emeril say that if he wasn't a chef, he'd follow his "other talent" and play drums. I've also seen Emeril "jamming" with the band. Let me tell you, speaking as a musician, the guy is decidedly not a drummer.

I think Emeril tells his people to say these things, and can get really mean if they don't. (As in "You want to keep this cushy gig where you don't even have to play my theme music? Then you say what I tell you to say!")

Rachael apparently doesn't claim to play drums, but to me she has the same look.

KellyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:47 AM   #8
Chief Eating Officer
I really enjoy Rachael. I can see why so many people get annoyed by her, but thankfully that sort of thing just rolls off my back. I had a very good friend in high school who had the same sort of personality. My other friends would run the other way (seriously) when they saw her coming. She was a very dear friend of mine though even if she did talk non stop.

Kelly I am worried that you are sort of judging a book by its cover in a way. From everything I know of Emeril, he is a very kind person and goes out of his way for the people he works with. Once of our members here even met him while on vacation. He and his wife were at the same restaurant. The member (sorry I forgot who it was ) raved about how nice Emeril was and only had very good things to say about him.

OK lets get this back on topic and away from the I like/dislike RR thing. WE have done that to death here in many many threads.

I have not seen her talkshow and probably never will. I am not one for those types of shows. I bet she will have a very big following with it though.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:53 AM   #9
Executive Chef
that emeirl or rachel can cook is a given, we've seen it here or there. But now that they are personalities...puhleeuhz ... once a day is enough ... 30 min, $40, and now a talk show?? gag.........

prefer tyler or mario
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:59 AM   #10
Head Chef
Rachel can, at times, exhibit certain quirks that many folks find a little annoying. I know I do... but I am able to overlook those foibles because I think she has something to offer and is (for the most part) pleasant and likeable. I don't know how anyone can actually dislike or spend time reviling her on web forums. Why expend the energy on the negativity? If you don't like, don't watch.

Dogs have owners ~ Cats have staff.
The Z is offline   Reply With Quote