"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
You have many more options by listening to radio stations on the computer through their websites.
Yes, I do that as well as having "The Friend in the Corner" as a retrospective radio programme called the radio set.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:50 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Growing up on a farm, my dad had the barn radio set to his station, and my mom had the radio in the kitchen set to her station.Dad listened to an all purpose station, AM,that played everything from Elvis to big band music.Mom had Serials and soap operas. Ė Helen Trent is one name I remember,Art Linkletter or Arthur Godfrey and Queen 4 a Day ( they were still on radio after they were tv shows too. )Now,when we were home from school, Saturdays,doing chores, what came on Like Clock Work q/ week.Live from the MetóNYC Opera, with Milton Cross.Cross my eyes and hope I got sent to the hen house or the sheep barn or elsewhere.Now,what do I look forward to listening toóLive from the Met, still the same time,Saturday matinee performances.They are well into third or 4th generation hosts , although I think Milton Cross was the best.These days itís broadcast on NPR ( national public radio stations.).Why yes, I did get sent to do other chores.As a teenager I had a Transistor Radio, so it went everywhere, incl/l the tractor in summers.How I survived as a teenager.

Now, I tell this more as a Joke,after we were married for awhile and no longer in college,we bought our first car.An older Mercedes.Nothing like starting out with the best.Never mind the Headlights were Taped to the hood and periodically jarred them selves loose to aim at the sky or that it was a Stick shift that neither of us drove. The original wood trimmed dashboard was cool and I think we were too naÔve to know that leather seats are way cool too.What was most important was it came with an Am/Fm radio w/ front and rear original Blaupunkt (sp?) German speakers.

If you like what I call Nostalgia radio,there is a lot on You-Tube and more may be located on google as well. Hereís one,Click and check the side bars for more stories.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Goldenageofcinema/videos

Old 05-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #13
Executive Chef

fiddle de dee try this

The Theatre of the Mind - YouTube
Old 05-05-2014, 07:04 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Only ever listen to the radio driving alone in the car. Usually a Rock and Roll station.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #15
Wine Guy

I find I'm more of a podcast or internet radio listener these days. Most often, on the days I have to go into the office (a 45 minute commute each way), I have an audio book playing. I love those, especially since I don't find as much time to read as I would like. I figure as long as I'm sitting there in the car, I might as well be enjoying a good book or something educational.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:07 PM   #16
Executive Chef

One of my co-workers recently introduced me to "This American Life". He had the ap on his phone, I downloaded it too. I've only listened a couple of time, but it was enjoyable.