Radio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
In Britain the BBC run a radio channel which runs repeats of current and "historical" programmes from other BBC channels - "The Goon Show", "The Navy Lark", "Hancock's Half Hour", "Round the Horne", being favourites from my childhood.

They seem to be branching out to other countries and they are just starting a series of "This American Life" I caught the first broadcast yesterday and enjoyed it. Will probably keep a Sunday date with it.

Is it well known in the States? I think it comes from Chicago but is said to be syndicated across the country.

(Actually that reminds me. What is the correct pronunciation of Chicago? I always thought it was "Shicago" but recently I'm hearing "Chicago" as in "Chicken"

Last edited:
In Britain the BBC run a radio channel which runs repeats of current and "historical" programmes from other BBC channels - "The Goon Show", "The Navy Lark", "Hancock's Half Hour", "Round the Horne", being favourites from my childhood.

They seem to be branching out to other countries and they are just starting a series of "This American Life" I caught the first broadcast yesterday and enjoyed it. Will probably keep a Sunday date with it.

Is it well known in the States? I think it comes from Chicago but is said to be syndicated across the country.

(Actually that reminds me. What is the correct pronunciation of Chicago? I always thought it was "Shicago" but recently I'm hearing "Chicago" as in "Chicken"

I have never heard of "This American Life." But then I don't even have a radio.

Chicago is pronounced Sh as in 'be quiet'. not Ch as in chicken. :angel:

This Am Life is a good intro to US Radio shows :) It is broadcast in US on PBS ( Public Radio) and is distributed for syndication, so it may be broadcast different days/ times depending on anyone's local station.

MC, if you like this show, you should be able to listen at your convenience from their website/ archives/ recent broadcasts or by selected subject
at Home | This American Life

Now, let me introduce you to my favorite radio show. Old jazz/ blues, history, interviews and Americana. Their archives has broadcasts for free every show since about 1992. I sometimes forget where I left off listening and then have to start over again. O well. It seems new again anyway :LOL:

American Routes ~ Archives For 4/2014

I love "This American Life." One of my favorite contributors is David Sedaris: David Sedaris | This American Life

If you're interested in American history, you might also enjoy BackStory with the American History Guys. The three history guys are professors of history - one of the 18th century, one the 19th and one the 20th. They trace some topic back to the past and describe how it evolved through the past few hundred years. Very interesting.

Just noticed this recent topic: Health Nuts: A History of Nutritional Advice. There goes my next hour :rolleyes: :)

Radio? Pfft. I do listen when I'm in the car. Most of the time though any station I want to listen to is available on my phone. Between TuneIn, iHeartRadio and Public Radio and Podcast I have a wide variety at my fingertip. I also have a number of discs loaded to the phone so I can listen to full-on music if I want.

I have never heard of "This American Life." But then I don't even have a radio.

Chicago is pronounced Sh as in 'be quiet'. not Ch as in chicken. :angel:
That's what I thought but I've heard it quite a lot lately pronounced the other way (even by slightly intellectual Americans!!) on the radio. Perhaps they are just being "precious".

As for not having a radio, you miss a lot - plays, short stories, music of all types, documentary-type programmes. The pictures on the radio are so much better than on television :). I have a radio on every room in the house and it's on all the time when I'm doing housework, cooking or sewing or knitting. This morning I heard Ruby Wax interviewing Harry Shearer (the voice of several Simpsons characters), an episode of a serialisation of Eric Ambler's thriller "Journey Into Fear", a programme about Lady Hamilton, Lord Nelson's mistress, a couple of comedies and the news and a current affairs programme - all while spring cleaning the kitchen and writing letters. Unlike television (in the UK at least) you don't have to buy a licence to partake of radio.

I love "This American Life." One of my favorite contributors is David Sedaris: David Sedaris | This American Life

If you're interested in American history, you might also enjoy BackStory with the American History Guys. The three history guys are professors of history - one of the 18th century, one the 19th and one the 20th. They trace some topic back to the past and describe how it evolved through the past few hundred years. Very interesting.

Just noticed this recent topic: Health Nuts: A History of Nutritional Advice. There goes my next hour :rolleyes: :)
I''m a Sedaris fan too. there have been a couple of his series on the radio over here.

I must look and see if I can get The American History Guys on-line.

This Am Life is a good intro to US Radio shows :) It is broadcast in US on PBS ( Public Radio) and is distributed for syndication, so it may be broadcast different days/ times depending on anyone's local station.

MC, if you like this show, you should be able to listen at your convenience from their website/ archives/ recent broadcasts or by selected subject
at Home | This American Life

Now, let me introduce you to my favorite radio show. Old jazz/ blues, history, interviews and Americana. Their archives has broadcasts for free every show since about 1992. I sometimes forget where I left off listening and then have to start over again. O well. It seems new again anyway :LOL:

American Routes ~ Archives For 4/2014
Thanks for the two heads up. I'll look for them.

Found. I'm listening to Sonny Rollins as I write.

Last edited:
Growing up on a farm, my dad had the barn radio set to his station, and my mom had the radio in the kitchen set to her station.Dad listened to an all purpose station, AM,that played everything from Elvis to big band music.Mom had Serials and soap operas. – Helen Trent is one name I remember,Art Linkletter or Arthur Godfrey and Queen 4 a Day ( they were still on radio after they were tv shows too. )Now,when we were home from school, Saturdays,doing chores, what came on Like Clock Work q/ week.Live from the Met—NYC Opera, with Milton Cross.Cross my eyes and hope I got sent to the hen house or the sheep barn or elsewhere.Now,what do I look forward to listening to—Live from the Met, still the same time,Saturday matinee performances.They are well into third or 4th generation hosts , although I think Milton Cross was the best.These days it’s broadcast on NPR ( national public radio stations.).Why yes, I did get sent to do other chores.As a teenager I had a Transistor Radio, so it went everywhere, incl/l the tractor in summers.How I survived as a teenager.

Now, I tell this more as a Joke,after we were married for awhile and no longer in college,we bought our first car.An older Mercedes.Nothing like starting out with the best.Never mind the Headlights were Taped to the hood and periodically jarred them selves loose to aim at the sky or that it was a Stick shift that neither of us drove. The original wood trimmed dashboard was cool and I think we were too naïve to know that leather seats are way cool too.What was most important was it came with an Am/Fm radio w/ front and rear original Blaupunkt (sp?) German speakers.

If you like what I call Nostalgia radio,there is a lot on You-Tube and more may be located on google as well. Here’s one,Click and check the side bars for more stories.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Goldenageofcinema/videos

Only ever listen to the radio driving alone in the car. Usually a Rock and Roll station.

I find I'm more of a podcast or internet radio listener these days. Most often, on the days I have to go into the office (a 45 minute commute each way), I have an audio book playing. I love those, especially since I don't find as much time to read as I would like. I figure as long as I'm sitting there in the car, I might as well be enjoying a good book or something educational.

One of my co-workers recently introduced me to "This American Life". He had the ap on his phone, I downloaded it too. I've only listened a couple of time, but it was enjoyable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom