"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Radio

In Britain the BBC run a radio channel which runs repeats of current and "historical" programmes from other BBC channels - "The Goon Show", "The Navy Lark", "Hancock's Half Hour", "Round the Horne", being favourites from my childhood.

They seem to be branching out to other countries and they are just starting a series of "This American Life" I caught the first broadcast yesterday and enjoyed it. Will probably keep a Sunday date with it.

Is it well known in the States? I think it comes from Chicago but is said to be syndicated across the country.

(Actually that reminds me. What is the correct pronunciation of Chicago? I always thought it was "Shicago" but recently I'm hearing "Chicago" as in "Chicken"

Old 05-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
In Britain the BBC run a radio channel which runs repeats of current and "historical" programmes from other BBC channels - "The Goon Show", "The Navy Lark", "Hancock's Half Hour", "Round the Horne", being favourites from my childhood.

They seem to be branching out to other countries and they are just starting a series of "This American Life" I caught the first broadcast yesterday and enjoyed it. Will probably keep a Sunday date with it.

Is it well known in the States? I think it comes from Chicago but is said to be syndicated across the country.

(Actually that reminds me. What is the correct pronunciation of Chicago? I always thought it was "Shicago" but recently I'm hearing "Chicago" as in "Chicken"
I have never heard of "This American Life." But then I don't even have a radio.

Chicago is pronounced Sh as in 'be quiet'. not Ch as in chicken.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
Executive Chef

This Am Life is a good intro to US Radio shows It is broadcast in US on PBS ( Public Radio) and is distributed for syndication, so it may be broadcast different days/ times depending on anyone's local station.

MC, if you like this show, you should be able to listen at your convenience from their website/ archives/ recent broadcasts or by selected subject
at Home | This American Life

Now, let me introduce you to my favorite radio show. Old jazz/ blues, history, interviews and Americana. Their archives has broadcasts for free every show since about 1992. I sometimes forget where I left off listening and then have to start over again. O well. It seems new again anyway

American Routes ~ Archives For 4/2014
Old 05-05-2014, 01:42 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I love "This American Life." One of my favorite contributors is David Sedaris: David Sedaris | This American Life

If you're interested in American history, you might also enjoy BackStory with the American History Guys. The three history guys are professors of history - one of the 18th century, one the 19th and one the 20th. They trace some topic back to the past and describe how it evolved through the past few hundred years. Very interesting.

Just noticed this recent topic: Health Nuts: A History of Nutritional Advice. There goes my next hour
Old 05-05-2014, 03:08 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I should get me a radio.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #6
Master Chef

Radio? Pfft. I do listen when I'm in the car. Most of the time though any station I want to listen to is available on my phone. Between TuneIn, iHeartRadio and Public Radio and Podcast I have a wide variety at my fingertip. I also have a number of discs loaded to the phone so I can listen to full-on music if I want.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have never heard of "This American Life." But then I don't even have a radio.

Chicago is pronounced Sh as in 'be quiet'. not Ch as in chicken.
That's what I thought but I've heard it quite a lot lately pronounced the other way (even by slightly intellectual Americans!!) on the radio. Perhaps they are just being "precious".

As for not having a radio, you miss a lot - plays, short stories, music of all types, documentary-type programmes. The pictures on the radio are so much better than on television . I have a radio on every room in the house and it's on all the time when I'm doing housework, cooking or sewing or knitting. This morning I heard Ruby Wax interviewing Harry Shearer (the voice of several Simpsons characters), an episode of a serialisation of Eric Ambler's thriller "Journey Into Fear", a programme about Lady Hamilton, Lord Nelson's mistress, a couple of comedies and the news and a current affairs programme - all while spring cleaning the kitchen and writing letters. Unlike television (in the UK at least) you don't have to buy a licence to partake of radio.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I love "This American Life." One of my favorite contributors is David Sedaris: David Sedaris | This American Life

If you're interested in American history, you might also enjoy BackStory with the American History Guys. The three history guys are professors of history - one of the 18th century, one the 19th and one the 20th. They trace some topic back to the past and describe how it evolved through the past few hundred years. Very interesting.

Just noticed this recent topic: Health Nuts: A History of Nutritional Advice. There goes my next hour
I''m a Sedaris fan too. there have been a couple of his series on the radio over here.

I must look and see if I can get The American History Guys on-line.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I should get me a radio.
You have many more options by listening to radio stations on the computer through their websites.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
This Am Life is a good intro to US Radio shows It is broadcast in US on PBS ( Public Radio) and is distributed for syndication, so it may be broadcast different days/ times depending on anyone's local station.

MC, if you like this show, you should be able to listen at your convenience from their website/ archives/ recent broadcasts or by selected subject
at Home | This American Life

Now, let me introduce you to my favorite radio show. Old jazz/ blues, history, interviews and Americana. Their archives has broadcasts for free every show since about 1992. I sometimes forget where I left off listening and then have to start over again. O well. It seems new again anyway

American Routes ~ Archives For 4/2014
Thanks for the two heads up. I'll look for them.

Found. I'm listening to Sonny Rollins as I write.