raising quail/quail eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
i think i'm going to start raising quail and selling them. i'll be selling the eggs, too, of couse, some for hatching and some for breeding.
i have to research this further.
i'll let you guys know if i get my birds and when they begin breeding, and if you want to purchase quail or the eggs from me, you can send me a pm and i'll give you my e-mail address.
i'll probably end up making a website if i take this hobby up, too.

Hi luvs. A few years back I decided I NEEDED a baby quail. I ordered some eggs from
eggbid.com and also a small incubator. I had 6 eggs and two hatched. It was so fun watching them. Unforunatly one of them flew up and hit the ceiling so hard it broke it's neck. You could really tell baby # 2 missed his friend... he cried all night long. I finally let him fly away outside. I'm sure he died but... at least he died out in nature free. I'll try again some day.

What kind of Quail are you going to get??
Good luck!

i'm not sure which breed i'd get yet.
i called my Mom and asked if she minds if i keep some birds in the backyard, and she said that that'd be fine, so i'm going to get started on ordering what i need and fencing in a section of the yard and getting some cages and all.

ok, maybe at least you'll listen to me today luvs. :huh:

the first thing i recommend is edumacating yourself as much as possible on the matter. raising boids an't as easy as it looks. since you live far enough north, you'll need to consider what you're gonna do with them in the cold weather. you can't go disturbing their nests every season, moving them around inside and out, and still expect them to produce eggs well. unless you plan on eating the birds every fall, and restocking in the spring. :)
and you'll have to look into your state laws regarding raising and selling farm produce.
birds are A LOT of work. just the feeding and cleaning up after them alone is nearly a full time job. let alone the vet bills, and keeping predators away if you keep them outdoors.
i have raised 'keets, canaries, and finches. i would imagine quail aren't all that much different. when you are ready and look into it a bit further, i might be able to help you with some questions you might have, especially behavioural techniques. lol, bird nookie....

You're sure right about them being a lot of work bucky. We only have four chickens ( chicks really, they are only 1 month old) and we have spend hours cleaning their coop and making a bigger stronger one for them. They are in the garage now but, as soon as the coop is finished they'll be moving outside. Then we'll have to worry about all the other animals eating them for dinner...

bucks, i'm great at raising pets; we have 8 and had 2 more that we recently lost.

'course, these quails would be for breeding and egg-laying, not pets.

i'll get attached, i know it, but if i want to make a business out of it, i'll have to get over that. at least they're not cute.

don't worry, bucky, i'd figure it out quickly enough.

mudbug said:
luvs, also make sure there is a market out there for your eggs when you have them.

mudbug, i've done some extensive research on this, and there is definately a market out there.
thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom