Random Act of Kindness - start the wave DC!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This guy was pulled over by the cops on the way to the hospital because his license plate was just the batman symbol. Thankfully the cops that pulled him over were intelligent enough to make an exception and let him go on his way.

Thanks for the extra info. Where was this? Do you ever see him?

No i never saw him. I am not sure where it happened. I saw the story somewhere on the internet a few days ago. Might have been msnbc.

We have a couple of residents that feed the birds daily. They are raising havoc with the rubber roof covering. They have been asked to stop to no avail. Since I am not a bread eater, but every so often I need a couple of slices. The rest of the loaf I give to one of the bird feeders. Last week on one of the freezing mornings, the bread was neatly cut into cubes and frozen to the ground. Those poor birds had to work for their meal that day.

As a child, you would often see dogs roaming the neighborhood. But over the years the leash laws have been enforced so now you very seldom see a loose pet. Not even cats. More and more folks are raising house bound cats.

I was never an animal lover. But I would be the first person to call and report anyone I saw abusing any animal. After havng worked with 4-H kids and their animals and seeing the love and care they give them I can understand. :)

No i never saw him. I am not sure where it happened. I saw the story somewhere on the internet a few days ago. Might have been msnbc.

I Googled "Batman visits sick kids" and got a whackload of links to stories about him. He is having an actual batmobile built!

I have talked sometimes about my neighbour's granddaughter. I have one of her more famous quotes in my signature :LOL:. She has a pretty tough life being the youngest of 5 (she is 7 and the next youngest is graduating this year) and her mom is always yelling at her....actually everyone in the family does. So, she comes over to my place to play with the dogs, help me bake or just to have some peace and quiet.

Well, a friend of her mother's was killed on March 15th in a horrific accident. The Mom ended up with all aspects of the service and was feeling very overwhelmed. This guy, who I met, was a devoted husband and father of two boys and had a heart of gold.

Anyway, I have been feeling at a loss for things to do between not having Dad to take care of and trying to get well. So, I offered to make the In Memoriam cards for them and also ended up making 2 pans of my Secret Recipe Brownies. My neighbour kept going on and on about how she will never be able to thank me enough - I keep saying that it was really good for me.

But it also gave me an insight into my neighbour's daughter - why she is the way she is with her kids. I never liked her but I realize I never knew her. I am starting to respect her, even though I would really like to see her treat her young daughter with a little more respect.

Lovely story Laurie, thanks! That's exactly the stuff I wanted to read in this thread.

I realized the other day why this thread doesn't get posted to a lot. Those folks who DO RAK don't really want to share that they've done them. They just do 'em and forget about 'em.

My RAK of the day is a bit self serving. I'm smoking some salmon for my youngest daughter. She's not feeling 100% and just went back to school after a long holiday break. This should perk her up a bit. (And me too!)

Lovely story Laurie, thanks! That's exactly the stuff I wanted to read in this thread.

I realized the other day why this thread doesn't get posted to a lot. Those folks who DO RAK don't really want to share that they've done them. They just do 'em and forget about 'em.

My RAK of the day is a bit self serving. I'm smoking some salmon for my youngest daughter. She's not feeling 100% and just went back to school after a long holiday break. This should perk her up a bit. (And me too!)
You are right that people who do RAK's just do them and probably don't even see them as such - I know I don't. I relayed this one because to me the little girl's Mom was doing a BIG RAK herself - she was basically looking after everything so the guy's wife didn't have to. But I realize I also feel this was self-serving because I needed to be needed.

I would really like people relaying more of their own feats of kindness and those bestowed upon them by others. It is something that doesn't get talked about but really does bring a ray of sunshine into a sometimes gloomy world.

RAK's can be very personal. And the very idea is something that you do that is selfless...hard to boast about something that is supposed to be selfless.:)

Unfortunately, I have been accused of being a "Miss Goody Two Shoes". I know the truth. So I just ignore it. Anything I do, it is because there was a need at that moment and I wanted to do it. I am not looking for accolades. It is just the way I am.

I also think that when any of us do a RAK, we get our own reward with that deep down feeling that we have done something nice without recognition. I enjoy that feeling more than any accolades. :)

RAK's can be very personal. And the very idea is something that you do that is selfless...hard to boast about something that is supposed to be selfless.:)

Yep, I know exactly what you mean. Maybe we should make this about RAK's we've seen OTHERS do. Like Laurie's bit today.

I was only commenting on why I don't disclose most of my RAK's...I do not see it as boasting in others, but how I feel about discussing mine. I love seeing how others pass on their good feelings.

I was only commenting on why I don't disclose most of my RAK's...I do not see it as boasting in others, but how I feel about discussing mine. I love seeing how others pass on their good feelings.
I deleted a big reply after Alix wrote the one before yours. I too do many RAK's without need or want of recognition. This one was more how helping someone else do an RAK helped me understand that person more and fulfill a need in me.

You, your Ogreness are one of the least boastful and most generous and thoughtful people I have ever met in my life and probably ever will. :flowers:

And Alix is not far behind you. In fact there are many people here who do without thought for themselves. That is why I stick around! :)

Last edited:
:heart:
You are right that people who do RAK's just do them and probably don't even see them as such - I know I don't. I relayed this one because to me the little girl's Mom was doing a BIG RAK herself - she was basically looking after everything so the guy's wife didn't have to. But I realize I also feel this was self-serving because I needed to be needed.

I would really like people relaying more of their own feats of kindness and those bestowed upon them by others. It is something that doesn't get talked about but really does bring a ray of sunshine into a sometimes gloomy world.

I am still in shock by the RAK that was bestowed on me by a stranger I have never met. Everytime I look at my gift, I almost want to cry. It was so unexpected. I don't know if she would want it to be known, but I certainly want her to know what a magnificent feeling she has given me each day. And Son #1 was also quite surprised and only to happy to put it together for me. It has made me want to get back in the kitchen and start cooking again. If she was my next door neighbor I would make her the biggest chocolate cake with plenty of frosting. To Hell With The Diet! :wub::flowers:

Thank you so much Princess Fiona for the Cosco stool for my kitchen.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, talk about RAK's!

My neighbours Daughter (I will refer to her as J to make things easier), sent her daughter M over with my cake pans and cooling racks. Inside was a note "hope I wasn't too hard on your hydrangea!". I ran (well my version of it) to the back yard to see that J had trimmed all the dead stuff off my beautiful hydrangea, which I didn't get to last fall and was worried it would die this year. Also, Violet has been digging a huge hole behind it which J filled in and surrounded with a wood frame so Violet can't do it again. There was another note saying "this is only the beginning - you don't know how much your support meant to me." I have tears running down my face.

All this was done while I was busy in the computer room at the other end of the house (and she can see me there).

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, talk about RAK's!

My neighbours Daughter (I will refer to her as J to make things easier), sent her daughter M over with my cake pans and cooling racks. Inside was a note "hope I wasn't too hard on your hydrangea!". I ran (well my version of it) to the back yard to see that J had trimmed all the dead stuff off my beautiful hydrangea, which I didn't get to last fall and was worried it would die this year. Also, Violet has been digging a huge hole behind it which J filled in and surrounded with a wood frame so Violet can't do it again. There was another note saying "this is only the beginning - you don't know how much your support meant to me." I have tears running down my face.

All this was done while I was busy in the computer room at the other end of the house (and she can see me there).

Sneaky little divil, isn't she. Gotta luv someone like that. Ya just never can tell! :)

The week Shrek was in the hospital, there was a gentleman in the waiting room at all hours of the day. His best friend of 30 years had been in a car accident and through many misfortunes of the family, car troubles, spouse's mother in the hospital in Bozeman, etc., he stayed at the hospital to be there for his friend at any time of the night or day. He was there until the family was able to take over.

All he had with him was the briefcase he was carrying when he got news of the wreck. His suitcase was on an airplane to Florida for their next construction job. His friend was in very bad shape and was out of it most of the time, trying to get out of bed to "make it to Florida on time." He was in the same clothes for days, at least two days before Shrek and I got to the hospital and two days later.

He was about the same size as Shrek, so I brought him two sets of clothes and waited while he changed clothes and ran his to the laundry. But, this is not about me. When I gave him the clothes, I told him to pay it forward. Before Shrek and I left the hospital, he gave me a business card and I gave him my e-mail address. I just got an e-mail from him that contained an attached receipt for $1000 to the American Cancer Society (the charity I make my walk for) in Shrek's and my names...

The week Shrek was in the hospital, there was a gentleman in the waiting room at all hours of the day. His best friend of 30 years had been in a car accident and through many misfortunes of the family, car troubles, spouse's mother in the hospital in Bozeman, etc., he stayed at the hospital to be there for his friend at any time of the night or day. He was there until the family was able to take over.

All he had with him was the briefcase he was carrying when he got news of the wreck. His suitcase was on an airplane to Florida for their next construction job. His friend was in very bad shape and was out of it most of the time, trying to get out of bed to "make it to Florida on time." He was in the same clothes for days, at least two days before Shrek and I got to the hospital and two days later.

He was about the same size as Shrek, so I brought him two sets of clothes and waited while he changed clothes and ran his to the laundry. But, this is not about me. When I gave him the clothes, I told him to pay it forward. Before Shrek and I left the hospital, he gave me a business card and I gave him my e-mail address. I just got an e-mail from him that contained an attached receipt for $1000 to the American Cancer Society (the charity I make my walk for) in Shrek's and my names...
+1

That is very cool. And, you get a deduction on your income tax. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom