"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #101
Everymom

Well, I'm so pleased to see this thread revisited! I have two brief stories.

1. As you may know, our 20 year old kitty died this week. What I didn't say is that the vet made a house call to ease her last moments in our own home. No extra charge.

2. I'm doing a shift and a half today. I haven't worked at one job site very much lately as they are not behaving in a way that I appreciate. However, I have some very good friends there and they are critically short staffed today so I'm going in to help out. Not all that random, and I still get paid, but I don't really WANT to do it. Does that count??

Old 12-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #102
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Well, I'm so pleased to see this thread revisited! I have two brief stories.

1. As you may know, our 20 year old kitty died this week. What I didn't say is that the vet made a house call to ease her last moments in our own home. No extra charge.
I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty friend passing. My 19 year old passed recently also. I was very surprised at the depth of sorrow that struck me. It was like losing a child. When I took him into the vet, he was having total renal failure and was a mess. I was crying my eyes out and could hardly make my self understood.

Thank goodness I have another kitty to love. He's 14 now and healthy as can be.

It was very nice of your vet to come to your house. Find another kitty to fill that void in your heart now.

Good luck to you!

Old 12-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #103
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty friend passing. My 19 year old passed recently also. I was very surprised at the depth of sorrow that struck me. It was like losing a child. When I took him into the vet, he was having total renal failure and was a mess. I was crying my eyes out and could hardly make my self understood.

Thank goodness I have another kitty to love. He's 14 now and healthy as can be.

It was very nice of your vet to come to your house. Find another kitty to fill that void in your heart now.

Good luck to you!

Alix--it is so nice to hear that vets in other areas still make house calls for that final act of kindness. One of my dearest friends is a veterinarian, when my soul-mate Saint died in my arms, she and her husband came to the house and took my sweetie to the clinic for cremation. Not a big deal--except it was 7:30 a.m. on Thanksgiving and they had a full house of guests, a turkey to prepare, etc., etc. She has come to the house several times since so I could say good-bye to my furries on the deck, in the sunshine, in the living room, etc. I wonder if your vet is the one who donated so much to our rescue group when we were rescuing Saints in Edmonton! Sounds like it or went to the same school, graduated in the same class.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:23 AM   #104
Everymom

Thanks guys. I don't know if they donated anything, but this particular vet's office has always been good about making that housecall. They are so gentle and kind to both animal and owner. I was (and am at times) still a big puddle, they leave such a big hole in your heart. Thankfully, Murray and Louie are both big personalities and very demanding of my attention so that helps to fill the void.

My RAK today was neither random nor was it effective! DANG! I got to come in to work a bit later yesterday, and so today I was going to do the early shift as payback. However, we had a sick call and the guy I was coming in for had to come early too. Rats. Oh well, there will be other days.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:49 PM   #105
Everymom

luv2cook was looking for this thread I believe so I'm giving it a bump.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:53 PM   #106
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Sunday, a gentleman practiced RAOK on me...he carried all my laundry into the landro mat for me and closed the hatch on the Subie. He said he hoped someone would do it for his wife. While he was hauling in the second load, I went into the convenience store and put $2 towards his purchase. He saluted me with his lunch as he walked out! We both felt good about it.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #107
Everymom

I haven't done anything nice for anyone lately. The only remotely RAK thing I've done is leaving the quarter in my cart for someone else to use. I DID listen attentively and pleasantly to the strange ramblings of my bag boy at the grocery store. He's very sweet, but a little slow. He told me all about nearly getting run over in the parking lot.

I'm on a mission today! Do something nice while out shopping!
Old 12-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #108
Chef Extraordinaire

I sent a DCer something unavailable in the DCer's area. Today I got the nicest email--the package arrived. Rather than paying me for the item and shipping, I asked the DCer to make a donation to the local food bank or another charity. The DCer made a wonderful donation to the foodbank--bag of potatoes, ham, etc. and made another donation to a local charity. The family who benefited from the donation to the foodbank, and those who will benefit from the other donation, will experience being recipients of random acts of kindness. It warms the cockles of my heart. Thank you, Secret Santa--you know who you are!!!!! May 2012 be a year filled with blessings for you and your loved ones. And gosh darn, aren't DCers some of the best people!
Old 12-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #109
Contest Winner

Sounds like a pay it forward moment is catching on :) I just don't know if I have it in me , but I will try. Hugs and Love to you all, and may GOD Bless each and everyone one of you
Old 12-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #110
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidrite View Post
Sounds like a pay it forward moment is catching on :) I just don't know if I have it in me , but I will try. Hugs and Love to you all, and may GOD Bless each and everyone one of you
It wasn't a big deal from my part--the postage cost more than the item. What was so sweet was the person paid it forward 10 fold.