Random Act of Kindness - start the wave DC!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The week Shrek was in the hospital, there was a gentleman in the waiting room at all hours of the day. His best friend of 30 years had been in a car accident and through many misfortunes of the family, car troubles, spouse's mother in the hospital in Bozeman, etc., he stayed at the hospital to be there for his friend at any time of the night or day. He was there until the family was able to take over.

All he had with him was the briefcase he was carrying when he got news of the wreck. His suitcase was on an airplane to Florida for their next construction job. His friend was in very bad shape and was out of it most of the time, trying to get out of bed to "make it to Florida on time." He was in the same clothes for days, at least two days before Shrek and I got to the hospital and two days later.

He was about the same size as Shrek, so I brought him two sets of clothes and waited while he changed clothes and ran his to the laundry. But, this is not about me. When I gave him the clothes, I told him to pay it forward. Before Shrek and I left the hospital, he gave me a business card and I gave him my e-mail address. I just got an e-mail from him that contained an attached receipt for $1000 to the American Cancer Society (the charity I make my walk for) in Shrek's and my names...
Bless both of you. Good always comes home to roost.
ma

taxlady said:
It's my job ;)

From the movie, Uncle Buck,

Buck: I'm your Dad's brother alright.
Miles: You have much more hair in your nose than my Dad.
Buck: How nice of you to notice.
Miles: I'm a kid - that's my job.

TL, you really need to do something about your nose hair....

(ducks and runs)

DL, I now have an image of braided nose hair in my mind :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

All I can say is...interesting :LOL:

Just wait till you hit my age dear and have to start dealing with facial hair that is not on your dear one's face but your own...:LOL: It wouldn't be so bad, but now it's starting to turn white!!!:ohmy::ROFLMAO:

Excuse me, time to go braid my legs.

WalMart had 24-pack cases of bottled water on sale for $2.98 yesterday so I bought 6 cases and took them to my local fire department. They can go through a couple cases during an average fire, so when you factor in the 105° weather, they'll need more. It's a small $20 donation and a little bit of time to let the firemen know they are appreciated. I figured water was more practical than baking cookies. I do this every summer about this time when it's getting really hot.

WalMart had 24-pack cases of bottled water on sale for $2.98 yesterday so I bought 6 cases and took them to my local fire department. They can go through a couple cases during an average fire, so when you factor in the 105° weather, they'll need more. It's a small $20 donation and a little bit of time to let the firemen know they are appreciated. I figured water was more practical than baking cookies. I do this every summer about this time when it's getting really hot.

I love reading about RAK. It does my heart good. :angel:

someone placed a $20 between my doors. i'm not sure why or whom~ i just know that it was kind, appreciated, & thoughtful.

My local Piggly-Wiggly (we only have two grocery stores in town, that and Wal-Mart) packages, in old fashioned paper bags, stapled shut with the ingredients listed. The price is on them, and they vary. Some have themes, that is to say, a pancake mix, a bottle of syrup; a package of pasta, a jar of sauce, etc. Some are simply basics: 5 lbs flour, 5 lbs sugar, box of baking soda, salt, etc.

Food banks have always been my favorites. When you give money, who in the heck knows who it is going to? But buy food, and you're probably feeding someone.

I noticed that the price for these bags (which are delivered to the food bank) seem probably at cost or less expensive than what I'd pay off the shelf. So I asked a friend who volunteers for the food bank (a small town, very local charity) if they were a good thing. She said they love them, absolutely love them. So every month or so I pick up a bag or two (in addition to a food run I do every Christmas).

We did this a lot when there were bad fires (not like there are good ones) in Florida a number of years ago. It was (and still is, when it happens) rather bizarre to have fires when there is swampland on one side and the ocean on the other. Firefighters actually flew in from the west, but really, how do you deal with a swamp that has alligators and poisonous snakes in it, up to mud on your waste, and you're fighting a fire? It was bizarre. But the local grocery stores would sell you a case of bottled water for far below cost if you'd donate it to the firefighters. Of course everyone who could afford it, did.

someone placed a $20 between my doors. i'm not sure why or whom~ i just know that it was kind, appreciated, & thoughtful.

That's really nice, luvs. In many ways that could be more appreciated than someone handing you a $100 cheque! It is less money, but the fact it is anonymous really stands out....for me at least. :)

That's really nice, luvs. In many ways that could be more appreciated than someone handing you a $100 cheque! It is less money, but the fact it is anonymous really stands out....for me at least. :)
I agree. When you can do something nice and just walk away, it, to me, is more fulfilling. Probably why I have a love of food banks. I can just drop food off, and never look for a receipt. I have friends are on hard times (don't we all these days) and try to find ways to help where we won't be known who helped them. My husband, bless him, does not believe it is true charity if you use it for a tax deduction. I have a hard time giving money to charities who are paying people to "administer" it for way more a month than my husband and I ever made in our entire lives. So we try to do a bit here, a bit there.

i'll recriprocate. drop a $20 somewhere on the pavement, some random day. i hope someone that needs/deserves it sees it.

Several friends/relatives have found themselves upon hard times, some losing their homes, that you wouldn't expect it to happen to, and I have to find ways to help that aren't outright charity. Instead of the "let's go out to dinner," we say, "come over for dinner."

Once someone told me it was "those people" (meaning our immigrants who keep our restaurants, etc, afloat in this very tourism-oriented, very small (3500) town) who use the food bank. So instead of a just drop-and-run, which I usually do when donating food, I made a point of going on shopping day. What did I mostly see? People my age and older picking up baby formula and diapers, older farmers. I didn't see all that many young people, and none of the immigrants. Having friends who wound up having to help support a grandchild when they themselves could hardly stay afloat, I could see why these way past child-bearing age people were buying baby food.

We are of very modest means, but we do what we can.

Back
Top Bottom