"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-28-2011, 08:49 AM   #111
Head Chef

On a recent radio program, I heard a disabled woman say that sometimes people helping without being asked makes her angry. What a surprise to hear! Then she explained something to the effect that some of the few things she can do unaided get usurped, in a way, which leaves her frustrated and angry. This was a totally new way of thinking about it for me. Although I think she may be an exception, I do believe I'll think first and try to evaluate the situation before I jump in with help that may be unwanted. There was a man at the grocery store the other day who was sitting in one of the electric carts and seemed to be having trouble finding the wall plug. I asked if he was having trouble finding it, and he just said no -- not in a cross way, just a plain, regular no. So I guess I'll just ask first to avoid trampling on someone's hard-won independence.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #112
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I think it's a matter of kindness and courtesy. Would you do the same thing for someone who is NOT disabled? Many times, my RAK are for someone who I don't even know what they look like. Like cleaning the snow off the cars sitting next to mine. Holding a door for anyone standing behind me.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #113
Master Chef

Yesterday, on a bench in front of wally's, sat a lady who was obviously "on the street".
Slipped her a ten, and nearly got my neck broken from the hug...............

I also set up a TFT box at my work every year; I'm happy to say I got the best response in ten years, recession be Damned !
...........even got a BIKE this year !
Old 12-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #114
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I think it's a matter of kindness and courtesy. Would you do the same thing for someone who is NOT disabled? Many times, my RAK are for someone who I don't even know what they look like. Like cleaning the snow off the cars sitting next to mine. Holding a door for anyone standing behind me.
I'm going to split a hair, here - holding the door I would categorize as courtesy, automatic and not requiring thought; cleaning off the cars would be acting out of kindness, enriching their lives anonymously. You nurse, you .
Old 12-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #115
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckytrim View Post
Yesterday, on a bench in front of wally's, sat a lady who was obviously "on the street".

I also set up a TFT box at my work every year; I'm happy to say I got the best response in ten years, recession be Damned !
What's a TFT box?
Old 12-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #116
Master Chef

"Toys for Tots"
Old 12-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #117
Everymom

Ohhh! Gotcha. Thanks LT.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #118
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckytrim

I was placing some toys in a local TFT box this year and there was a bike in there too! It is wonderful to see people so giving and kind.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #119
Master Chef

I was amazed as well............my first load went to The Local Armory for the Marines, but I neglected to put the box away...........(I don't work Fridays)........ when I came in on Monday, there was a bunch more to go, including the bike............ The Armory was bolted up, too late for that............ so I went to the Salvation army with those, and lo ! there must have been forty or so bikes, most with training wheels, lined up in their warehouse.... just don't remember seeing that many bikes before.........
Old 12-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #120
Executive Chef

The local bike shop that we do business with fixes up used bikes for kids at Christmas. Then they send out e-mail messages to several of their customers to see if anyone would like a bike to give to someone who would need it. I didn't have anyone in mind this year when the e-mail arrived, so I did not get the chance to help with that kind deed, but I am sure there were some happy children in the Colorado Springs area that got new bikes this year, and that bike shop is to be thanked for that.