"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #151
Chef Extraordinaire

The remotes that start your car for you were brand spabnking new. Most people haden't even heard of it. My gradnddaughter's boyfriend worked for an electronics store and as soon as they came out, in order to leaqrn how to install it, he put one in his car.

He was at our house and went to the window to start his car. At that moment the police were passing by. They stopped because this car was brand new to the neighborhood. They get out of their car and walk toward the car just as it started. The cop jumped back in his squad car. the boyfriend decided to play with the police. He shuts the car off. They begin to take a look again. The car starts up again. This went on for a minute or two. Th boyfriend was having a lot of fun. The cops were very confused. But he did have to leave. He goes out to the car. The cops stop him for questioning. They told him they thought there was a bomb in the car when it started up and there was no driver. They finally let him go on his way after he gave them a demonstration.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #152
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Day is done ... Gone the sun ....

I grew up on military installations, and married an Army man. Once we lived right across from the flag-pole. I just loved the bugle calls. I remember once I was walking home from work, and could hear a neighbor behind me with her two little ones. I could almost feel ESP, her thinking, please let Claire do the right thing. Sure enough, taps sounded and I (as I always would), stopped and faced the flag, hand on heart, and stopped for that few minutes. Later she told me how she appreciated her kids seeing that the right thing to do at taps is not to duck into the nearest shelter so you don't have to show some respect.
That is a real sore spot with me. No matter where I am, if the flag is passing, I stop and place my hand over my heart. I have shamed total strangers and told them to place there hand over their heart when I am at a parade. I don't care if it is a grown person or just a kid. Last summer I noticed that an abandoned school still had the flag over the front door. No one had bother to take it down when they closed the school. I called and sent a letter to the local newspaper, my representatives, City Hall, and anyone else I could think off. The flag was in tatters, and half of it was missing. We have a resident here in this building that was at Iwo Jima. We have buried so many of our young people all over the world defending that flag. The least we can do is take proper care of our flag and show it respect. Within a week the flag was down.

When I lived in Everett, if I saw a flag at a park or on a city building that needed to be replaced, I immediately called public works and threw a hissy fit. It got so that every time I saw a flag in need of care, and I called, I would hear as soon as I said my name, "Okay, where is the flag." After about a year, I noticed that my phones calls were no longer needed. Mission accomplished.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:54 PM   #153
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie

That is a real sore spot with me. No matter where I am, if the flag is passing, I stop and place my hand over my heart. I have shamed total strangers and told them to place there hand over their heart when I am at a parade. I don't care if it is a grown person or just a kid. Last summer I noticed that an abandoned school still had the flag over the front door. No one had bother to take it down when they closed the school. I called and sent a letter to the local newspaper, my representatives, City Hall, and anyone else I could think off. The flag was in tatters, and half of it was missing. We have a resident here in this building that was at Iwo Jima. We have buried so many of our young people all over the world defending that flag. The least we can do is take proper care of our flag and show it respect. Within a week the flag was down.

When I lived in Everett, if I saw a flag at a park or on a city building that needed to be replaced, I immediately called public works and threw a hissy fit. It got so that every time I saw a flag in need of care, and I called, I would hear as soon as I said my name, "Okay, where is the flag." After about a year, I noticed that my phones calls were no longer needed. Mission accomplished.
I also tell total strangers to respect the flag by standing with hand over heart when the American Flag passes by. It is the right thing to do. Sometimes when I am at a meeting in a school the people running the meeting try to continue when the entire school is saying the pledge. I just stand right up and start saying the pledge, and all others join me. Again, it is the right thing to do.
I played taps at several funerals when I was younger. It is a beautiful song, but brings tears to my eyes.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:05 AM   #154
Master Chef

Addie, this has become a huge sore spot with us. I've even written columns about it. My husband will go to city hall about it. If the flag is piss-yellow, pink, and stone-washed-denim blue, with a fringe caused by being beaten up by the weather, you are NOT showing pride when you fly it, it is a symbol of your own shame. If it looks like something you wouldn't use as a dishrag in your kitchen, shame. Once upon a time, you put the flag up at dawn, took it down at dusk. Then it became OK to leave it up 24/7 as long as there's a light on it. But now no one seems to bother to look up at their own darned flag. If it's a rag rather than a flag, take it down, fold it up, bring it to your local VFW or similar organization to be retired, an buy a new one, or better yet, if you have no pride, then just don't fly one at all!
Old 01-16-2012, 12:09 AM   #155
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
Addie, this has become a huge sore spot with us. I've even written columns about it. My husband will go to city hall about it. If the flag is piss-yellow, pink, and stone-washed-denim blue, with a fringe caused by being beaten up by the weather, you are NOT showing pride when you fly it, it is a symbol of your own shame. If it looks like something you wouldn't use as a dishrag in your kitchen, shame. Once upon a time, you put the flag up at dawn, took it down at dusk. Then it became OK to leave it up 24/7 as long as there's a light on it. But now no one seems to bother to look up at their own darned flag. If it's a rag rather than a flag, take it down, fold it up, bring it to your local VFW or similar organization to be retired, an buy a new one, or better yet, if you have no pride, then just don't fly one at all!
Amen sister!
Old 01-16-2012, 04:07 AM   #156
Chef Extraordinaire

We have a flag that flies out in the main field. It can be seen from the highway (Route 1) and even ships coming up the creek can see it. With forty residents and quite a few are WWII and Vietnam veterans, management wouldn't dare let the flag get in disrepair. We raise holy hell. for our flag!
Old 01-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #157
Sous Chef

RAK's are great I do them when I see the need. NEVER for the "Thank Yous"

Most recent was at the market....paying for my stuff, using my card and the computer goes down. I tell the gal "Don't worry......take your time, I don't get upset over stuff like this" She thanked me for not yelling at her or being mad and making her job that much harder or more thankless.

I ALWAYS over-tip the waitstaff when I eat out. Talk about a thankless job!

Best RAK I have done to date ......... At a chinese take-out joint, I am paying for my food and a young kid {13-14} was in trying to get his food he ordered 2 qts of egg foo young sauce but didn't have enough money. His Mom came in and started yelling at him "Well just get one then!!!", this poor kid was MORTIFIED. I leaned over and handed the clerk the extra money he needed said "SHHHHHH just give him the second one" and walked out.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #158
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishedTopaz View Post
RAK's are great I do them when I see the need. NEVER for the "Thank Yous"

Most recent was at the market....paying for my stuff, using my card and the computer goes down. I tell the gal "Don't worry......take your time, I don't get upset over stuff like this" She thanked me for not yelling at her or being mad and making her job that much harder or more thankless.

I ALWAYS over-tip the waitstaff when I eat out. Talk about a thankless job!

Best RAK I have done to date ......... At a chinese take-out joint, I am paying for my food and a young kid {13-14} was in trying to get his food he ordered 2 qts of egg foo young sauce but didn't have enough money. His Mom came in and started yelling at him "Well just get one then!!!", this poor kid was MORTIFIED. I leaned over and handed the clerk the extra money he needed said "SHHHHHH just give him the second one" and walked out.
Kudos to you.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #159
Everymom

Lately I've been brushing cars off. If I get out of work first, I brush off everyone's vehicles. When its so freaking cold out, I know how much I'D appreciate not having to stand in the cold.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #160
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Lately I've been brushing cars off. If I get out of work first, I brush off everyone's vehicles. When its so freaking cold out, I know how much I'D appreciate not having to stand in the cold.
When my kids were small and they would go out to shovel the sidewalk, I use to tell them to shovel the walk for a couple of elderly neighbors. And I didn't want to hear any arguemnts. They could play after they did what they were told. I knew I was right when Son #3 started doing it without even being told. Eventually all three of my boys make it a point to help the elderly year round. Whether is carrying bundles for them, or shoveling snow.