"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-21-2012, 11:18 PM   #161
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Lately I've been brushing cars off. If I get out of work first, I brush off everyone's vehicles. When its so freaking cold out, I know how much I'D appreciate not having to stand in the cold.
Do you chisel the ice off, too? Man, am I sick of chiseling ice off the windshield...

Old 01-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #162
Everymom

No need to chisel ice. Its just the snow. Things cool off so quickly that the ice doesn't have a chance to form on the windows. Things have warmed up around here though, I'll have to think of something different to do to be nice to folks.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #163
Sous Chef

Turned in a lost wallet today.........the $ paid for my trip to the market
Old 01-26-2012, 01:58 AM   #164
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishedTopaz View Post
Turned in a lost wallet today.........the $ paid for my trip to the market
One time I found a check made out to an insurance company for a few thousand dollars. A mortgage payment no doubt. I mailed it back to the owner whose name was at the top explaining I found it in back of a bench in the subway. She thought her son had mailed it. She was so grateful, she sent me a check for $100. Obviously I saved her a lot of worrying. I never expected anything more than a thank you. I did send her a thank you note.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #165
Master Chef

This morning I went to the flea market and ran into a coven of girl scouts selling cookies.

I listened to the spiel, pulled a ten dollar bill out of my pocket and gave it to them. I explained that I did not want any cookies and that it was a donation. That concept threw them all into a panic as to what they should do. The idea of extra money was going to throw off the accounting for the cash box. One rather shady young girl scout thought they should put in an extra fifty cents and that would make up the price of three boxes of cookies, then they could eat those three boxes and everything would be fine! The cookie mom finally stepped in and took control of the money, peace was restored. Next time I will just take my cookies and move along!

As a side note, when I started buying girl scout cookies they cost fifty cents a box and now they are up to $3.50 per box. It seems like a lot but, truth be told it was harder for me to come up with the fifty cents years ago than it is to come up with the $3.50 so I guess the girl scouts and I are making progress.

Those old girl scout cookies were no where near as fattening as these modern ones seem to be.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #166
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
This morning I went to the flea market and ran into a coven of girl scouts selling cookies.

I listened to the spiel, pulled a ten dollar bill out of my pocket and gave it to them. I explained that I did not want any cookies and that it was a donation. That concept threw them all into a panic as to what they should do. The idea of extra money was going to throw off the accounting for the cash box. One rather shady young girl scout thought they should put in an extra fifty cents and that would make up the price of three boxes of cookies, then they could eat those three boxes and everything would be fine! The cookie mom finally stepped in and took control of the money, peace was restored. Next time I will just take my cookies and move along!

As a side note, when I started buying girl scout cookies they cost fifty cents a box and now they are up to $3.50 per box. It seems like a lot but, truth be told it was harder for me to come up with the fifty cents years ago than it is to come up with the $3.50 so I guess the girl scouts and I are making progress.

Those old girl scout cookies were no where near as fattening as these modern ones seem to be.
It is much easier to make a donation to a group online than in person.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #167
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
It is much easier to make a donation to a group online than in person.

I give to any group of kids with a card table.

I think it teaches them some lessons in business, community, charity, life, rejection etc when they go out and do these things at a fairly young age.

The computer wizards, not so much!
Old 02-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #168
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I give to any group of kids with a card table.

I think it teaches them some lessons in business, community, charity, life, rejection etc when they go out and do these things at a fairly young age.

The computer wizards, not so much!
I have no problem, as long as it's the kids selling. Then I will participate. I was just thinking trying to donate was what threw them. I do make sure they give me the whole spiel, you are right, how else will they learn. Even if I walk ten steps and give away the cookies to someone who looks like they need them, I will buy from kids.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #169
Chef Extraordinaire

When I sold them they were $.25. I try to find a homeless person to give them to. We have a park and there are several people there all the time. You would think I gave them gold. When I was very sick and in a wheelchair, I got Meals On Wheels. I wasn't to fond of the food. I would eat what I could, but I gave them the cookies, cake, milk, and fresh fruit. It got so that they would fight over who was going to push my electric wheelchair. Once I was out of that chair, I was able to cook for myself again. I never got the chance to tell them why the treats stopped.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:07 PM   #170
Head Chef

The other day at the Manatee Park where we have lots of out-of-state visitors, a man was taking a photo of his wife and his mother (I'm assuming here). I asked if they would like a shot of them together - reply, yes, with big smiles all around. The manatees were nice enough to be on hand; well, at least we could see their backs.