Random Act of Kindness - start the wave DC!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are of very modest means, but we do what we can.

That's all everyone should do.

I have a very large bag, the kind you would put a boxed fan in at the store, and it was filled to the top with plastic bags from grocery shopping. I use them to line my trash cans. They fit perfectly. But the bag was overflowing. So I took them all out, folded them and gave them to the food bank. I kept just enough to get me through to the end of the month when I go shopping again. There were enough that the food bank could double them when packing up food for the recipients. What gave me the idea was seeing one of the volunteers folding the few bags they had. I mentioned that if it was bags they need I can give them plenty. "Please do. We really need them. Most people drop off food in boxes." Hmmm!:ermm: Food for thought.

Tomorrow is food shopping day. I started out on this venture with donating just $5.00 of food a month. Two boxes of cereal and a two pound bag of rice. But prices have been rising. So starting this month I am upping it to $10.00 a month. That means I will be able to add one or two more items. I am going to send an email to the woman that runs the food bank. I want to add a bag of sugar. I usually buy sugared cereal since sugar doesn't have to be added. But it does bother me that I am contributing to one of the health problems of today's children. At least with a bag of sugar, the parent can control the amount.

Our food bank was started by one of the church members on her own with donations just from the members. Little by little, the word spread and people in the community started to donate also. Then the word went even further and the main food bank in Boston who get their food from the "Walk For Hunger" every year, heard about the church and now sends cases of donated amounts every month. Every year when the Post Office has their can drives, the mail people drop off what they pick up at the church also.

This church is really small. And I mean that in both senses. Size and membership. They only have 17 members that attend services every Sunday. The Sanctuary seats about 100 folks at the most. Yet this church does more community work than any two churches combined. They also have a clothing drive that donates to woman who are going to enter the working world and don't have the clothes for that interview. The church pays to have them cleaned. They collect warm coats for children every fall. Sweaters, mittens and scarfs are always welcome. Is there anything worse than a hungry, cold child? :angel:

Even though my sister is in a wheelchair & it's difficult to get out, she'll do part of her shopping at Schnucks for their buy one get one free items. She sends the free items to the food pantry where her husband volunteers several days a week.

Lately the local community has been wonderful, and I have seen or heard of several random acts of kindness. One I heard tonight was worth sharing.
On the worst night of the Waldo Canyon fire (the night that the fire arrived in the city of Colorado Springs and destroyed several homes) the owner of The Outback Steakhouse was told that they needed to evacuate. Instead of loading up all of the food to take somewhere, they offered to cook it all and serve it to the firefighters, police officers and EMTs that were fighting the fire. When meals were served, then the place closed down. I know where I will go next time we decide to go out to eat.
For the record for those who don't know, they were able to save 81% of the homes in the burn area. Praise God!

chopper said:
Lately the local community has been wonderful, and I have seen or heard of several random acts of kindness. One I heard tonight was worth sharing.
On the worst night of the Waldo Canyon fire (the night that the fire arrived in the city of Colorado Springs and destroyed several homes) the owner of The Outback Steakhouse was told that they needed to evacuate. Instead of loading up all of the food to take somewhere, they offered to cook it all and serve it to the firefighters, police officers and EMTs that were fighting the fire. When meals were served, then the place closed down. I know where I will go next time we decide to go out to eat.
For the record for those who don't know, they were able to save 81% of the homes in the burn area. Praise God!

Awesome, Chopper!

Thank you chopper.

Do the members of DC know that Bobby Flay during the 911 emergency fed all the police, fire and other emergency responders at both his restaurants without charge around the clock? They could order anything they wanted on the menu.

There are good people on this world. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom