"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #191
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I was only commenting on why I don't disclose most of my RAK's...I do not see it as boasting in others, but how I feel about discussing mine. I love seeing how others pass on their good feelings.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #192
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I was only commenting on why I don't disclose most of my RAK's...I do not see it as boasting in others, but how I feel about discussing mine. I love seeing how others pass on their good feelings.
I deleted a big reply after Alix wrote the one before yours. I too do many RAK's without need or want of recognition. This one was more how helping someone else do an RAK helped me understand that person more and fulfill a need in me.

You, your Ogreness are one of the least boastful and most generous and thoughtful people I have ever met in my life and probably ever will.

And Alix is not far behind you. In fact there are many people here who do without thought for themselves. That is why I stick around!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #193
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
You are right that people who do RAK's just do them and probably don't even see them as such - I know I don't. I relayed this one because to me the little girl's Mom was doing a BIG RAK herself - she was basically looking after everything so the guy's wife didn't have to. But I realize I also feel this was self-serving because I needed to be needed.

I would really like people relaying more of their own feats of kindness and those bestowed upon them by others. It is something that doesn't get talked about but really does bring a ray of sunshine into a sometimes gloomy world.
I am still in shock by the RAK that was bestowed on me by a stranger I have never met. Everytime I look at my gift, I almost want to cry. It was so unexpected. I don't know if she would want it to be known, but I certainly want her to know what a magnificent feeling she has given me each day. And Son #1 was also quite surprised and only to happy to put it together for me. It has made me want to get back in the kitchen and start cooking again. If she was my next door neighbor I would make her the biggest chocolate cake with plenty of frosting. To Hell With The Diet!

Thank you so much Princess Fiona for the Cosco stool for my kitchen.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #194
Certified Cake Maniac

Oh my goodness, talk about RAK's!

My neighbours Daughter (I will refer to her as J to make things easier), sent her daughter M over with my cake pans and cooling racks. Inside was a note "hope I wasn't too hard on your hydrangea!". I ran (well my version of it) to the back yard to see that J had trimmed all the dead stuff off my beautiful hydrangea, which I didn't get to last fall and was worried it would die this year. Also, Violet has been digging a huge hole behind it which J filled in and surrounded with a wood frame so Violet can't do it again. There was another note saying "this is only the beginning - you don't know how much your support meant to me." I have tears running down my face.

All this was done while I was busy in the computer room at the other end of the house (and she can see me there).

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #195
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Oh my goodness, talk about RAK's!

My neighbours Daughter (I will refer to her as J to make things easier), sent her daughter M over with my cake pans and cooling racks. Inside was a note "hope I wasn't too hard on your hydrangea!". I ran (well my version of it) to the back yard to see that J had trimmed all the dead stuff off my beautiful hydrangea, which I didn't get to last fall and was worried it would die this year. Also, Violet has been digging a huge hole behind it which J filled in and surrounded with a wood frame so Violet can't do it again. There was another note saying "this is only the beginning - you don't know how much your support meant to me." I have tears running down my face.

All this was done while I was busy in the computer room at the other end of the house (and she can see me there).
Sneaky little divil, isn't she. Gotta luv someone like that. Ya just never can tell!
Old 04-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #196
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Wow, LP! Teach you to hide out on your computer! {{{{{LP}}}}}
Old 06-27-2012, 01:22 AM   #197
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The week Shrek was in the hospital, there was a gentleman in the waiting room at all hours of the day. His best friend of 30 years had been in a car accident and through many misfortunes of the family, car troubles, spouse's mother in the hospital in Bozeman, etc., he stayed at the hospital to be there for his friend at any time of the night or day. He was there until the family was able to take over.

All he had with him was the briefcase he was carrying when he got news of the wreck. His suitcase was on an airplane to Florida for their next construction job. His friend was in very bad shape and was out of it most of the time, trying to get out of bed to "make it to Florida on time." He was in the same clothes for days, at least two days before Shrek and I got to the hospital and two days later.

He was about the same size as Shrek, so I brought him two sets of clothes and waited while he changed clothes and ran his to the laundry. But, this is not about me. When I gave him the clothes, I told him to pay it forward. Before Shrek and I left the hospital, he gave me a business card and I gave him my e-mail address. I just got an e-mail from him that contained an attached receipt for $1000 to the American Cancer Society (the charity I make my walk for) in Shrek's and my names...
Old 06-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #198
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
The week Shrek was in the hospital, there was a gentleman in the waiting room at all hours of the day. His best friend of 30 years had been in a car accident and through many misfortunes of the family, car troubles, spouse's mother in the hospital in Bozeman, etc., he stayed at the hospital to be there for his friend at any time of the night or day. He was there until the family was able to take over.

All he had with him was the briefcase he was carrying when he got news of the wreck. His suitcase was on an airplane to Florida for their next construction job. His friend was in very bad shape and was out of it most of the time, trying to get out of bed to "make it to Florida on time." He was in the same clothes for days, at least two days before Shrek and I got to the hospital and two days later.

He was about the same size as Shrek, so I brought him two sets of clothes and waited while he changed clothes and ran his to the laundry. But, this is not about me. When I gave him the clothes, I told him to pay it forward. Before Shrek and I left the hospital, he gave me a business card and I gave him my e-mail address. I just got an e-mail from him that contained an attached receipt for $1000 to the American Cancer Society (the charity I make my walk for) in Shrek's and my names...
+1
Old 06-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #199
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:

That is very cool. And, you get a deduction on your income tax.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #200
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That is very cool. And, you get a deduction on your income tax.
TL--trust you to point that out.