"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #211
Sous Chef

WalMart had 24-pack cases of bottled water on sale for $2.98 yesterday so I bought 6 cases and took them to my local fire department. They can go through a couple cases during an average fire, so when you factor in the 105 weather, they'll need more. It's a small $20 donation and a little bit of time to let the firemen know they are appreciated. I figured water was more practical than baking cookies. I do this every summer about this time when it's getting really hot.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #212
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindercat View Post
WalMart had 24-pack cases of bottled water on sale for $2.98 yesterday so I bought 6 cases and took them to my local fire department. They can go through a couple cases during an average fire, so when you factor in the 105 weather, they'll need more. It's a small $20 donation and a little bit of time to let the firemen know they are appreciated. I figured water was more practical than baking cookies. I do this every summer about this time when it's getting really hot.
I love reading about RAK. It does my heart good.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #213
Master Chef

someone placed a $20 between my doors. i'm not sure why or whom~ i just know that it was kind, appreciated, & thoughtful.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:39 AM   #214
Master Chef

My local Piggly-Wiggly (we only have two grocery stores in town, that and Wal-Mart) packages, in old fashioned paper bags, stapled shut with the ingredients listed. The price is on them, and they vary. Some have themes, that is to say, a pancake mix, a bottle of syrup; a package of pasta, a jar of sauce, etc. Some are simply basics: 5 lbs flour, 5 lbs sugar, box of baking soda, salt, etc.

Food banks have always been my favorites. When you give money, who in the heck knows who it is going to? But buy food, and you're probably feeding someone.

I noticed that the price for these bags (which are delivered to the food bank) seem probably at cost or less expensive than what I'd pay off the shelf. So I asked a friend who volunteers for the food bank (a small town, very local charity) if they were a good thing. She said they love them, absolutely love them. So every month or so I pick up a bag or two (in addition to a food run I do every Christmas).
Old 07-01-2012, 12:48 AM   #215
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindercat View Post
We did this a lot when there were bad fires (not like there are good ones) in Florida a number of years ago. It was (and still is, when it happens) rather bizarre to have fires when there is swampland on one side and the ocean on the other. Firefighters actually flew in from the west, but really, how do you deal with a swamp that has alligators and poisonous snakes in it, up to mud on your waste, and you're fighting a fire? It was bizarre. But the local grocery stores would sell you a case of bottled water for far below cost if you'd donate it to the firefighters. Of course everyone who could afford it, did.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:12 AM   #216
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs View Post
someone placed a $20 between my doors. i'm not sure why or whom~ i just know that it was kind, appreciated, & thoughtful.
That's really nice, luvs. In many ways that could be more appreciated than someone handing you a $100 cheque! It is less money, but the fact it is anonymous really stands out....for me at least.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:39 AM   #217
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
That's really nice, luvs. In many ways that could be more appreciated than someone handing you a $100 cheque! It is less money, but the fact it is anonymous really stands out....for me at least.
I agree. When you can do something nice and just walk away, it, to me, is more fulfilling. Probably why I have a love of food banks. I can just drop food off, and never look for a receipt. I have friends are on hard times (don't we all these days) and try to find ways to help where we won't be known who helped them. My husband, bless him, does not believe it is true charity if you use it for a tax deduction. I have a hard time giving money to charities who are paying people to "administer" it for way more a month than my husband and I ever made in our entire lives. So we try to do a bit here, a bit there.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:07 AM   #218
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
i'll recriprocate. drop a $20 somewhere on the pavement, some random day. i hope someone that needs/deserves it sees it.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #219
Master Chef

Several friends/relatives have found themselves upon hard times, some losing their homes, that you wouldn't expect it to happen to, and I have to find ways to help that aren't outright charity. Instead of the "let's go out to dinner," we say, "come over for dinner."

Once someone told me it was "those people" (meaning our immigrants who keep our restaurants, etc, afloat in this very tourism-oriented, very small (3500) town) who use the food bank. So instead of a just drop-and-run, which I usually do when donating food, I made a point of going on shopping day. What did I mostly see? People my age and older picking up baby formula and diapers, older farmers. I didn't see all that many young people, and none of the immigrants. Having friends who wound up having to help support a grandchild when they themselves could hardly stay afloat, I could see why these way past child-bearing age people were buying baby food.

We are of very modest means, but we do what we can.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:04 AM   #220
Executive Chef

P. Fiona,

Thanks for sharing your lovely human interest short story.

Happy 4th,
Margi.