"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-20-2010, 10:40 PM   #31
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
LOL!!! I'm telling that you called him ELDERLY!
Since he is now completely signed up for Medicare, he qualifies

Old 12-30-2010, 09:16 PM   #32
Everymom

Well, I have to admit I've not done much lately. My only excuse is that I've been in the house most of the last week or so. Only ventured out when ABSOLUTELY necessary as it is danged cold out there! The only nice things I've done have really been for family.

My oldest daughter has been a bit blue the last few weeks. She didn't much want to go to work tonight. I made her a lunch to take with her and sneaked in a few Lindt balls to make her smile when she opens her lunch. Hope that makes her happy.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:25 PM   #33
Master Chef

awwww!
Old 12-30-2010, 10:16 PM   #34
Master Chef

One day this past year I was going into Wal-Mart to do my weekly shopping, and in the handicapped slot was an older woman trying to get her husband into a (Wal-Mart) supplied wheelchair. The thing is that the brakes on the wheelchair did not work at all, and one of the foot pads wouldn't stay in the upright position. The woman had a belt on her husband, but was having one heck of a time getting him from her car to the wheelchair. The chair would slide backwards, or he'd trip over the foot rest before he could sit. So, being quite tall and muscular for a woman, I stepped up and helped her get her husband into the wheelchair. It was quite a maneuver, but because of my height advantage, I could stand behind the chair and keep it from rolling backwards, reach over and hold up the foot rest so he could back into the chair. Between the two of us we got him belted into the chair and she took it from there. Told me that I did my good deed for the week. I did go back in and talk to someone: If you're going to supply wheelchairs, then make sure they are in functioning condition. I'm sure the problem with the wheelchair could have been fixed by almost any handiman with a wrench in a matter of a few minutes.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:27 PM   #35
Everymom

Way to go Claire! They really needed you, good thing you were there to help.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:45 PM   #36
Master Chef

To me it is seeing a need and meeting it. Some are big on financial contributions, and I don't have a problem with that, really, as long as you know what you're giving and to whom it is going. I like this line because, to me, it isn't tooting your horn, but helping others to see a need and fill it when they can. I'm pretty tall for a gal (5'9"), and not a lightweight, but also strong. Sometimes it is just that I'm walking through the grocery store and someone in a wheelchair is looking up, or for that matter, someone just short (however you want to put it) and with limited shoulder mobility, and it is just noticing it and asking what they want off the top shelf.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:28 PM   #37
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I haven't been doing much of my actual job this week. End of the year scramble to get physical inventories done all over the facility. I've been all over "teaching" people how to do inventories, quicker and easier than they were doing.

I actually found someone counting q-tips...by hand...not only are they contaminated...but...well duh!! Put on gloves, we have one or two hundred boxes of those, pick up 20 q-tips and see how they feel in your hand, then count handfuls. Not exact, but I bet it's very close.

Long story short, I've had a hand in each department, re-working the inventory methods and everyone is happy. We are done 1 day early and now we can have fun tomorrow.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:40 PM   #38
Master Chef

i am avoiding spending $$ on items i would've luved, so as 2 get my new sister gifts~
Old 01-04-2011, 02:23 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

As a random act of kindness, do something nice for yourself. You'll appreciate having done it and it makes you feel better about yourself.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #40
Everymom

My daughter tells me to "Turn off your sign!" because people always stop to ask me things or chat with me. She says I have a sign that says "talk to me" over my head. LOL! (She has the same one she is realizing! I love karma!)

Anyway, apparently my sign works even when I'm driving. I got waved at by a guy at a stop light and gave him directions. Poor guy was a bit frazzled. That's about the best I've got at the moment. I'm going to please my daughter today by finding her a phone to use while hers is in for repair. She's 14 and the lack of texting is just about killing her. LOL!