"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #51
Head Chef

I tried to be kind today. Work was begging folks to work extra hours this week so I took my Sunday(missing church) and went to work. You would have thought I was an intruder. I got pushed around so much and treated like I was in the way by every supervisor there that I finally clocked out and left. So much for appreciating my employment and trying to go the extra mile. No good deed goes unpunished.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #52
Everymom

Well THAT just sucks! I'm sorry you were rewarded with such a grumpy attitude. You deserved better than that.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:39 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I've used those in Florida, except they only used a quarter.
do you get the money back after you shop? if not, then i simply wouldn't shop there. give me a break. i understand the premise, but really.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:56 PM   #54
Everymom

You plug in a coin to unlock the cart and then you get it back when you return the cart to the corral.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:20 PM   #55
Certified Cake Maniac

I left a quarter in a cart yesterday, Alix. The car next to me was pulling in when I left it and the guy looked at the cart, looked at me with a strange look and then waited until I left before he took it. I think he was figuring I might ask him for a quarter! We have some stores that use a dollar and some a quarter - depends on the store and the crime rate in the area.

DH and I found that with his new job and extra hours over Spring break at the first job, plus our tax returns we have a little extra cash so today we gave envelopes to two young couples in our new church group. One couple has two kids (both with medical problems) and he is having trouble in the real Estate business right now. The other couple are expecting their first child in May and are finding themselves as a pastoral couple in a very tiny (at the moment) group. We felt so good that we could help them out. We stuck the envelopes of cash in the wives' purses when no one was looking so they don't know who gave them!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:25 PM   #56
Everymom

Oh Laurie, now that is really special. I'm proud to know you.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:38 AM   #57
Certified Cake Maniac

I actually hadn't planned on telling anyone we did it (much less the entire world wide web ) and had actually never saw this thread before. It wasn't a lot but we hope it will help them a bit.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:24 AM   #58
Head Chef

That raises the bar awfully high, LP. What a nice thing to do!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #59
Everymom

Glad you found the thread LP. Its my personal belief that if we are all consciously thinking of ways to be pleasant or kind in subtle ways it will influence our thinking all the time. And if more people start doing it, perhaps we will see a groundswell of "nice" instead of all the reports of people "snapping".

Yep, now you all know it, my own little Pollyanna vision of the world.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #60
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
That raises the bar awfully high, LP. What a nice thing to do!
As far as I am concerned, there is no "bar" when it comes to acts of kindness. Whoever got Alix's dollar in the cart may have been having a rotten day and that was all they needed to brighten it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Glad you found the thread LP. Its my personal belief that if we are all consciously thinking of ways to be pleasant or kind in subtle ways it will influence our thinking all the time. And if more people start doing it, perhaps we will see a groundswell of "nice" instead of all the reports of people "snapping".

Yep, now you all know it, my own little Pollyanna vision of the world.
Alix, I totally agree with you. Today I had to take Dad to Motor Vehicles because a mix up when he surrendered his license two years ago. They have handicapped parking stalls but no automatic door opener. There were at least 50 people within range of that door and no one helped us until we were almost out the door ourselves. And yet at the Y, there is a young man with developmental disabilities who waits for the HandyDART bus when we arrive Tuesday and Friday afternoons. He always gets up and comes over to hold the door open for us (and there is a button to automatically open it). To me THAT is what it is all about.