Random Act of Kindness - start the wave DC!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I'm so pleased to see this thread revisited! I have two brief stories.

1. As you may know, our 20 year old kitty died this week. What I didn't say is that the vet made a house call to ease her last moments in our own home. No extra charge.

2. I'm doing a shift and a half today. I haven't worked at one job site very much lately as they are not behaving in a way that I appreciate. However, I have some very good friends there and they are critically short staffed today so I'm going in to help out. Not all that random, and I still get paid, but I don't really WANT to do it. Does that count?? :rolleyes:

Well, I'm so pleased to see this thread revisited! I have two brief stories.

1. As you may know, our 20 year old kitty died this week. What I didn't say is that the vet made a house call to ease her last moments in our own home. No extra charge.

I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty friend passing. My 19 year old passed recently also. I was very surprised at the depth of sorrow that struck me. It was like losing a child. When I took him into the vet, he was having total renal failure and was a mess. I was crying my eyes out and could hardly make my self understood.

Thank goodness I have another kitty to love. He's 14 now and healthy as can be.

It was very nice of your vet to come to your house. Find another kitty to fill that void in your heart now.

Good luck to you!

I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty friend passing. My 19 year old passed recently also. I was very surprised at the depth of sorrow that struck me. It was like losing a child. When I took him into the vet, he was having total renal failure and was a mess. I was crying my eyes out and could hardly make my self understood.

Thank goodness I have another kitty to love. He's 14 now and healthy as can be.

It was very nice of your vet to come to your house. Find another kitty to fill that void in your heart now.

Good luck to you!

Alix--it is so nice to hear that vets in other areas still make house calls for that final act of kindness. One of my dearest friends is a veterinarian, when my soul-mate Saint died in my arms, she and her husband came to the house and took my sweetie to the clinic for cremation. Not a big deal--except it was 7:30 a.m. on Thanksgiving and they had a full house of guests, a turkey to prepare, etc., etc. She has come to the house several times since so I could say good-bye to my furries on the deck, in the sunshine, in the living room, etc. I wonder if your vet is the one who donated so much to our rescue group when we were rescuing Saints in Edmonton! Sounds like it or went to the same school, graduated in the same class.

Thanks guys. I don't know if they donated anything, but this particular vet's office has always been good about making that housecall. They are so gentle and kind to both animal and owner. I was (and am at times) still a big puddle, they leave such a big hole in your heart. Thankfully, Murray and Louie are both big personalities and very demanding of my attention so that helps to fill the void.

My RAK today was neither random nor was it effective! DANG! I got to come in to work a bit later yesterday, and so today I was going to do the early shift as payback. However, we had a sick call and the guy I was coming in for had to come early too. Rats. Oh well, there will be other days.

Sunday, a gentleman practiced RAOK on me...he carried all my laundry into the landro mat for me and closed the hatch on the Subie. He said he hoped someone would do it for his wife. While he was hauling in the second load, I went into the convenience store and put $2 towards his purchase. He saluted me with his lunch as he walked out! We both felt good about it.

I haven't done anything nice for anyone lately. The only remotely RAK thing I've done is leaving the quarter in my cart for someone else to use. I DID listen attentively and pleasantly to the strange ramblings of my bag boy at the grocery store. He's very sweet, but a little slow. He told me all about nearly getting run over in the parking lot.

I'm on a mission today! Do something nice while out shopping!

I sent a DCer something unavailable in the DCer's area. Today I got the nicest email--the package arrived. Rather than paying me for the item and shipping, I asked the DCer to make a donation to the local food bank or another charity. The DCer made a wonderful donation to the foodbank--bag of potatoes, ham, etc. and made another donation to a local charity. The family who benefited from the donation to the foodbank, and those who will benefit from the other donation, will experience being recipients of random acts of kindness. It warms the cockles of my heart. Thank you, Secret Santa--you know who you are!!!!! May 2012 be a year filled with blessings for you and your loved ones. And gosh darn, aren't DCers some of the best people!

Last edited:
Sounds like a pay it forward moment is catching on :) I just don't know if I have it in me , but I will try. Hugs and Love to you all, and may GOD Bless each and everyone one of you :chef:

Sounds like a pay it forward moment is catching on :) I just don't know if I have it in me , but I will try. Hugs and Love to you all, and may GOD Bless each and everyone one of you :chef:
It wasn't a big deal from my part--the postage cost more than the item. What was so sweet was the person paid it forward 10 fold.

On a recent radio program, I heard a disabled woman say that sometimes people helping without being asked makes her angry. What a surprise to hear! Then she explained something to the effect that some of the few things she can do unaided get usurped, in a way, which leaves her frustrated and angry. This was a totally new way of thinking about it for me. Although I think she may be an exception, I do believe I'll think first and try to evaluate the situation before I jump in with help that may be unwanted. There was a man at the grocery store the other day who was sitting in one of the electric carts and seemed to be having trouble finding the wall plug. I asked if he was having trouble finding it, and he just said no -- not in a cross way, just a plain, regular no. So I guess I'll just ask first to avoid trampling on someone's hard-won independence.

I think it's a matter of kindness and courtesy. Would you do the same thing for someone who is NOT disabled? Many times, my RAK are for someone who I don't even know what they look like. Like cleaning the snow off the cars sitting next to mine. Holding a door for anyone standing behind me.

Yesterday, on a bench in front of wally's, sat a lady who was obviously "on the street".
Slipped her a ten, and nearly got my neck broken from the hug...............

I also set up a TFT box at my work every year; I'm happy to say I got the best response in ten years, recession be Damned !
...........even got a BIKE this year !

I think it's a matter of kindness and courtesy. Would you do the same thing for someone who is NOT disabled? Many times, my RAK are for someone who I don't even know what they look like. Like cleaning the snow off the cars sitting next to mine. Holding a door for anyone standing behind me.

I'm going to split a hair, here - holding the door I would categorize as courtesy, automatic and not requiring thought; cleaning off the cars would be acting out of kindness, enriching their lives anonymously. You nurse, you ;).

Yesterday, on a bench in front of wally's, sat a lady who was obviously "on the street".

I also set up a TFT box at my work every year; I'm happy to say I got the best response in ten years, recession be Damned !

What's a TFT box?

luckytrim said:

I was placing some toys in a local TFT box this year and there was a bike in there too! It is wonderful to see people so giving and kind.

I was amazed as well............my first load went to The Local Armory for the Marines, but I neglected to put the box away...........(I don't work Fridays)........ when I came in on Monday, there was a bunch more to go, including the bike............ The Armory was bolted up, too late for that............ so I went to the Salvation army with those, and lo ! there must have been forty or so bikes, most with training wheels, lined up in their warehouse.... just don't remember seeing that many bikes before.........

The local bike shop that we do business with fixes up used bikes for kids at Christmas. Then they send out e-mail messages to several of their customers to see if anyone would like a bike to give to someone who would need it. I didn't have anyone in mind this year when the e-mail arrived, so I did not get the chance to help with that kind deed, but I am sure there were some happy children in the Colorado Springs area that got new bikes this year, and that bike shop is to be thanked for that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom