"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-31-2011, 11:55 AM   #71
Everymom

CWS4322, My mom is sliding into dementia too, so I understand your words all too well. I love to hear stories from folks about what they remember of our home when the visited.

I was so touched by your story. You really were someone's angel that day.

I think my RAK for today was just having an open ear. I listened to someone who has a lot of burdens to carry, and she needed an ear.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:05 PM   #72
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I got my co-workers picture of her new Grandson on her computer as the background pic. She didn't know how to get it from her phone to the computer. I also saved it to a memory stick for her, so she could get prints.

Other than that, I was my regular Ogre self.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:40 PM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire

Since I had to use a wheel chair, now a walker I've been treated with such kindness from all sorts of people. Opening doors for us, Where we have breakfast after diaylisis the young lady who always seats us noticed my shoe had come untied and wanted to tie it for me. She is so sweet you just have to love her. We have become close with many of the kidney people you can't help it. we all look out for each other much like our DC family. How lucky I am to have such giving friends.
kadesma
Old 03-31-2011, 06:56 PM   #74
Executive Chef

I really do not like "ringing my own bell" but yesterday my co-worker and I did a good deed for a customer who could not pay all of their utility bill and would have been disconnected today. We each kicked in $25 to help defray the balance. They were able to come up with the additional amount this morning to keep the utilities on.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:38 PM   #75
Certified Cake Maniac

Somebunny, I think that was a wonderful gesture and I am glad you shared it with us. Don't look at it as ringing your own bell but as inspiration for others.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:12 PM   #76
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
And they probably don't have a clue how much that meant to you. Or maybe they do, and that is what they remember about that day--that they could still stop and help s/one else.
I hope they realize how much it meant, but they might have just considered it normal - "Well, of course we stopped to help."

It's a large part of what I loved about living in the country/small town Quebec. Everyone was helpful. E.g., If you saw anyone walking by the side of the road, you stopped to ask if they wanted a lift (except near the prison, if you didn't recognize the person ).
Old 03-31-2011, 11:10 PM   #77
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Since I had to use a wheel chair, now a walker I've been treated with such kindness from all sorts of people. Opening doors for us, Where we have breakfast after diaylisis the young lady who always seats us noticed my shoe had come untied and wanted to tie it for me. She is so sweet you just have to love her. We have become close with many of the kidney people you can't help it. we all look out for each other much like our DC family. How lucky I am to have such giving friends.
kadesma
It's the same at Cardiac Rehab, we are all looking out for each other and offering hints and tips on how to do our exercises. And worrying about folks who don't show up.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:19 PM   #78
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

There is a "secret fund" at work that was started about ten years ago, it can be borrowed from and when it's paid back the borrower adds ten dollars. It started at $200, lent from one worker to another for school books. It has been repaid and borrowed many, many times over the years for many reasons. The fund now has $870 in it.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:44 PM   #79
Certified Cake Maniac

Wow, Princess, that is a really great idea! Do you mind if I borrow it? I know a group that it would be very appropriate for!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:45 PM   #80
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Wow, Princess, that is a really great idea! Do you mind if I borrow it? I know a group that it would be very appropriate for!
Take it, keep it! I know it's helped alot of people when they needed it most.