Random Act of Kindness - start the wave DC!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was kind today, but it wasn't really random. Does that count? A friend of mine with a hurting heart spilled her troubles in my lap. I couldn't do much for her except offer her my ear and a hug.

I was the recipient of a lovely act of kindness though. My sweet husband took time out of his day to fix something on my vehicle that I'd not had time to address. He didn't make an issue of it, just went and did it. He also filled my car with gas and took it through the car wash. He never expects a thanks or any recognition for stuff like that, just does it to keep me safe. :wub::wub::wub:

I was kind today, but it wasn't really random. Does that count? A friend of mine with a hurting heart spilled her troubles in my lap. I couldn't do much for her except offer her my ear and a hug. :angel:

I was the recipient of a lovely act of kindness though. My sweet husband took time out of his day to fix something on my vehicle that I'd not had time to address. He didn't make an issue of it, just went and did it. He also filled my car with gas and took it through the car wash. He never expects a thanks or any recognition for stuff like that, just does it to keep me safe. :wub::wub::wub:
:chicken:

I like to throw a big party once a year. I joking put a "price of admission" on the invitation: Something for the food bank. I've been doing this for maybe 20 years, in many various places we've lived. This isn't about us being good, but about my friends being good. We had so much stuff you had to wade through it. I always ask in advance what the bank is in need of. Often it is items that are not ones they get subsidies for. I, selfishly, ask for lots of paper and soap products (easier to carry than canned goods). This year the request was for toothbrushes and tooth paste, and other hygiene items. One of my friends volunteers for the bank, and she said for the second year that she'd transport the stuff to the bank (the food bank is literally under my bank). This makes it all the more better. We filled her SUV to capacity with food, paper products, hygiene items, soaps. Plus a nifty little stack of checks.

I like to throw a big party once a year. I joking put a "price of admission" on the invitation: Something for the food bank. I've been doing this for maybe 20 years, in many various places we've lived. This isn't about us being good, but about my friends being good. We had so much stuff you had to wade through it. I always ask in advance what the bank is in need of. Often it is items that are not ones they get subsidies for. I, selfishly, ask for lots of paper and soap products (easier to carry than canned goods). This year the request was for toothbrushes and tooth paste, and other hygiene items. One of my friends volunteers for the bank, and she said for the second year that she'd transport the stuff to the bank (the food bank is literally under my bank). This makes it all the more better. We filled her SUV to capacity with food, paper products, hygiene items, soaps. Plus a nifty little stack of checks.

Every month I take $5 to $10 dollars from my food stamps and buy cereal and rice plus one can good for the local food bank my church holds every Saturday. The cereal is for the children. I can't stand the thought that a child may go to school hungry. The rice will feed a family for at least two meals. We have a large Latino population here. And the can good is usually a veggie. For the nutritional value. It is not much, and I don't miss it.

Also there are only two of us that have computers in the building. If any resident needs any info or needs to apply for food stamps, I am only too happy to help them. I am more computer savy than the other resident with a computer. And I have a scooter. If I see a resident coming from the bus stop lugging heavy bags, I will go out and meet them and put their bags on my scooter. Then I zip them right to their apartment door. None of these activities cost me anything by my time. And I have plenty of that. But the one think I ALWAYS remember to do, is say "Thank you" and "Your Welcome" whenever the moment calls for it.

Weather permitting, When I am out and about on my scooter, if I see someone sitting on their porch or steps, or if I pass someone (total stranger) I always say Good Morning or just Hi. Activitivties that don't cost me a thing. I don't know how it makes them feel, but I always am surprised by the smile on their face.

I am always amazed that people seem surprised by a friendly greeting!

I hugged a cranky kid today.

Good for you. We are not known for our friendliness to strangers here. Right now I need to do an RAK for myself. I forgot to eat yesterday and today. I need to get some food into me before my sugars go haywire again.

My selfless RAK for today though was giving my son's dog a loooong back scratch today. I almost put him to sleep. :chef:

Sometimes a Random Act of Kindness is an opportunity you can give to others. I help a blind friend who has problems walking to go out socially once a week. For years I've tried to juggle the door, her cane, etc. For some reason a few months ago, I started just stopping people walking by, and asking them if they'd open and hold the door for us. We're a tourist town, a honeymoon destination, etc. So on our Fridays out, there are always people around, walking Main Street. When I ask, the people are always more than happy to hold the door and help me get my friend into our regular "third place". I think it might make them feel like they've done their good deed for the day. I don't know why it didn't occur to me years ago. "Excuse me, would you mind opening that door and holding it while I help my friend?" Lots of please and thank-you. An opportunity to be the good person you know you are. When you need help, ask!

Sometimes a Random Act of Kindness is an opportunity you can give to others. I help a blind friend who has problems walking to go out socially once a week. For years I've tried to juggle the door, her cane, etc. For some reason a few months ago, I started just stopping people walking by, and asking them if they'd open and hold the door for us. We're a tourist town, a honeymoon destination, etc. So on our Fridays out, there are always people around, walking Main Street. When I ask, the people are always more than happy to hold the door and help me get my friend into our regular "third place". I think it might make them feel like they've done their good deed for the day. I don't know why it didn't occur to me years ago. "Excuse me, would you mind opening that door and holding it while I help my friend?" Lots of please and thank-you. An opportunity to be the good person you know you are. When you need help, ask!

I know what you mean. It doesn't always have to be about yourself. Thursday I was on the phone with the furniture store. The woman who I was talking to asked me if she could put me on hold. "Certainly, take your time." was my response. I was on hold for quite a long time. "I am so sorry for holding you so long." "No problem. I was enjoying the music and singing along." She solved my problem As we were ending our call, I told her "Thank you so much. You were so helpful." "Oh no, thank you for being so patient. You made my job so much easier. It was a pleasure serving you. Happy New Year." I am sure that she has been handling some very cranky and nasty callers this time of year. She probably finshed her work day on the upside. :chef:

I enjoy saying, "It's okay, I'm in no hurry." It really takes the pressure off cashiers, waiters/esses, anyone who is busting their butts to take care of my needs for close to minimum wage. I know if it wasn't for me and my fellow customers that there would be no job, however, if they weren't working to feed their families...I would be waiting to get what I need.

Thank your service personnel, they work hard and often for ungrateful customers who think they are better than them.

I have never wished anyone to treat me with rudeness, callousness or meanness. Following that train of thought, since I live by the golden rule, I don't treat others in that manner.

When I feel anger as a reaction to someone's treatment of me, I mentally step back for a moment and analyze why I'm angry. Then, I cool my jets and respond nicely. It makes mean people crazy!:ermm::rolleyes:;):LOL:

I have never wished anyone to treat me with rudeness, callousness or meanness. Following that train of thought, since I live by the golden rule, I don't treat others in that manner.

When I feel anger as a reaction to someone's treatment of me, I mentally step back for a moment and analyze why I'm angry. Then, I cool my jets and respond nicely. It makes mean people crazy!:ermm::rolleyes:;):LOL:

My motto in life has always been;

Love your enemy, it will drive him crazy! :angel:

My ex was once standing in line at the bank and one of the other customers was being really rude and bitchy. My DxH turned to her and asked if she had been having a hard day. The poor women nearly burst into tears and then told him all about her hard day. Then she behaved like a human being with not a hint of bitchiness.

I enjoy saying, "It's okay, I'm in no hurry." It really takes the pressure off cashiers, waiters/esses, anyone who is busting their butts to take care of my needs for close to minimum wage. I know if it wasn't for me and my fellow customers that there would be no job, however, if they weren't working to feed their families...I would be waiting to get what I need.

Thank your service personnel, they work hard and often for ungrateful customers who think they are better than them.
There should be more customers out there like you!!:)

taxlady, I hugged the same cranky child today and she had a little sniffle in my lap. She needed some "momming" so I provided. She reciprocated with a lovely manicure.

Attachments

• Photo 19.jpg
    Photo 19.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 120
When the propane man was here filling up the tank a couple of days before Christmas, I fixed him up a decorated box full of home made cookies and candies. We traded, he gave me the bill for the propane and I gave him the box of goodies!

When the propane man was here filling up the tank a couple of days before Christmas, I fixed him up a decorated box full of home made cookies and candies. We traded, he gave me the bill for the propane and I gave him the box of goodies!

That sounds like a fair trade to me. :LOL:

Dh got sideswiped while parked on the street. Hit and run. We called an officer to report the incident. I didn't talk to him but DH did. Just for the heck of it I grabbed a small gift bag of home made cookies I had made and as he ( the officer) was leaving the drive I stopped him and gave him the goodies. Apparently he was having a particularly rough evening (lots of accidents= lots of paperwork) and the cookies made his day, mine too.

Last edited:

I love doing that!

taxlady, I hugged the same cranky child today and she had a little sniffle in my lap. She needed some "momming" so I provided. She reciprocated with a lovely manicure.
Wow, great looking nails!:)

Back
Top Bottom