Random Food Aversions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikki

Senior Cook
So, this has been a bit strange for me. I've heard of tastes changing through out life to make it where people suddenly like foods that they used to hate... And this has happened to me in the past few years, which is great! (I LOVE beets now, and not just the pickled ones... ;) )
But a few weeks ago, I had an issue with some dried pineapple. I used to LOVE and devour dried fruit by the bagfull... I bit into one dried pineapple chunk, and had this strange taste in my mouth.
I thought it was just a piece that had "gone off" or something, but wasn't hungry anymore, so I set the bag aside, and left it alone for a few days.
Then, I tried to eat some dried canteloupe. I got that same taste in my mouth when eating it... Tried a different piece, same thing.
Then I tried some dried fruit from a different bag... Same thing...

I even had this issue recently with hard boiled eggs. It was a few weeks, maybe a month ago... So I haven't had one since then. But this morning, I bit into a hard boiled egg, and had to spit it out into a napkin and give the other half to my husband.

Is it possible to suddenly just not be able to eat something anymore? This is really strange for me, as dried fruit (ALL fruits) have been a favourite of mine for years...

:LOL:--Before anyone comments with "maybe you're pregnant", no. No I'm not. --

:blink::huh::wacko:

I used to drink loads of Diet Coke. But in the last few months it started tasting somewhat bitter to me so I've been cutting back on this stuff and now I find myself going back to sugary sodas.

All my life until about age 30 (which would be recently of course :whistling ) I hated pancakes and donuts...BIGtime. I always explained to people that they tasted fakey to me. Hard to describe...just fake. Now, I enjoy pancakes (unfortunately). You'll never catch me overeating them though.

I never liked sweets as a child, a young adult, and a middle aged adult, however now I can't get enough, and my new business will be probably a cupcake shop... The perfect little bite... :chef::chef::chef:

I used to LOVE diet coke. All of a sudden it leaves a weird aftertaste in my mouth. Same with milk...used to drink it by the half gallon now it tastes sour to me (even though it has not gone bad) and it comes right back up. I have always LOVED spicy foods, the hotter the better. But two weeks ago I had red pepper flakes on my pizza and within the hour my skin felt itchy like I had fiberglass insulation in my clothes. I broke out in hives on my thighs and arms. Two weeks prior I had ground hot peppers in soup I ate and it had a similar but milder effect. Some say our bodies change over the years maybe thats what it is? It's frustrating nonetheless.

I used to LOVE diet coke. All of a sudden it leaves a weird aftertaste in my mouth. Same with milk...used to drink it by the half gallon now it tastes sour to me (even though it has not gone bad) and it comes right back up. I have always LOVED spicy foods, the hotter the better. But two weeks ago I had red pepper flakes on my pizza and within the hour my skin felt itchy like I had fiberglass insulation in my clothes. I broke out in hives on my thighs and arms. Two weeks prior I had ground hot peppers in soup I ate and it had a similar but milder effect. Some say our bodies change over the years maybe thats what it is? It's frustrating nonetheless.
If it were me, I'd check with a doctor. If it's allergy they can help with a oerscription. If not then allow some tests to be done. I could be nothing, but again it could be something hurtful.
kadesma

i can't abide liver, no matter how it is cooked. just the smell alone makes me gag. hang up from childhood, i guess
Oh babetoo, I used to love liver,bacon & onions in brown sauce. But now the mere smell of the stuff makes me gag too.
I wonder if my lifelong loathing of anything fishy might reverse and I'll start munching them instead of just catching them?

I generally like most foods, oh I have a few things I don't care for, but nothing I cannot eat if manners so dictate. BUT .... I had a weird experience in the last couple of years of menopause. My sense of scent went haywire. It stared the day after Thanksgiving about 4 or 5 years ago. I was making my great turkey stock, and it just smelled terrible. I thought, gee, I must have not gotten the carcass to the fridge fast enough last night? Just when I was considering tossing it out, my husband came downstairs and went, yummmy yumm yumm, I can't wait! That smells wonderful! I made the stock and it was delicious (to everyone else), but that was the start of a bizarre year or two where most foods just didn't smell good, even a lot of my favorites. I've heard of people losing their sense of smell entirely, but this was downright nasty. I gradually lost 30 or so pounds (that I needed to lose). Well, the sense of scent came back (along with the pounds +) as menopause ended. With the exception of two items that just do not appeal to me, and were my favorite low-cal snacks: watermelon and cucumbers. I used to love them, and now they just don't appeal. Why couldn't something like butter or well-marbled porterhouse be what I lost taste for?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom