Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great photos, as usual, Rick.

Gobble-gobble, lizzie. We used to get a lot of those, but no more. I guess some of them retired to FL.

I don't think they know boundaries. Cambridge at one time had a huge problem with them. A lot of the newer science building over near MIT have mirrored windows. The males were constantly attacking their own image and managed to break a few before the City took the problem seriously. Once all the males were either shot or caught, the females left the area.

The problem they had is that they take to roost after sundown. You can't shoot them in the middle of the day with pedestrian traffic and cement all around. So just before sundown you would see the cops climbing the trees to get them where they lived. In the trees. Netting them didn't work. The Toms were smarter than man. They only roosted in the lower branches. So get above them, and shoot down. If you missed, the bullet went into the grass. I am afraid the City of Cambridge was the laughing stock of the area.

When we lived in Texas, the Tom that belonged to my neighbors next door, used to chase my daughter. One day it caught up with her and took a huge chunk of flesh out of her but. Oh joy! Another trip to the ER.

Our Plumeria

Here is our front yard pride and joy. It looks like heck in the winter. It is a Plumeria from Hawaii. The blossoms have a delicate peach like scent. The sign at the base says, "Come grow old with me, the best is yet to be"-Browning
img_1475517_0_3b450a77ce110c4d66bfe858f75362d9.jpg

Last edited:
you are going to make Kaneohegirl homesick. I bet she can tell you how to make a lei with those beautiful flowers. :angel:

When we were in Michigan with my in-laws, I admired this book that my brother-in-law had given to my MIL. Since she's living in a nursing home and won't be able to go home, my FIL asked me if I'd like to have it. It's my favorite kind of cookbook, with pictures and stories of the country, as well as recipes.

Attachments

• 1470920178919.jpg
    1470920178919.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 1470920192403.jpg
    1470920192403.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 1470920204676.jpg
    1470920204676.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 67
This little guy was sitting atop my mail box when I went out to get the mail, and didn't mind me taking his picture. I think it's a juvenile, not sure what kind of bird, maybe a catbird? They often nest in the juniper. Hope he wasn't injured. ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1470939041.881557.jpg

He didn't seem too concerned, even when I got the mail. Looking at the black markings and striping, he may be a baby woodpecker. Hm. Maybe a baby dove.

Last edited:
Yes, pretty sure it's a dove now. Similar size. I sent DH the pic, he thinks it's a dove too.

Backyard bee hive. This is called bearding. Some of them are hanging around outside, trying to help the inside stay cooler. It's been really hot lately, so they also flap their wings like crazy to increase airflow inside the hive. You can tell by the buzzing :cool:

Attachments

• 1471058529963.jpg
    1471058529963.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Really enjoying the random photo pics!

Rick...those are amazing wildlife photos. I always look forward to your pics. :)

GG...LOVE the pics of your inlaws lakeside place, just gorgeous. I'd grab a book and kick back there as well. LOVE the bees as well!

Dawg...great pic of the young dove on your mailbox. :)

Souschef...that's such a pretty plumeria! I can imagine how you two love seeing that in your front yard.

Cool bees, GG! They amaze me and scare me all at the same time. I've been stung a couple of times, but I still think they're cute and fascinating. Especially when they are....................................over there >.

Our son had a little bee that would visit him on his 3rd floor balcony/porch at the old house where he has an apartment. He's posted pictures of it sitting on his finger and all. I'm not that brave.

Cool bees, GG! They amaze me and scare me all at the same time. I've been stung a couple of times, but I still think they're cute and fascinating. Especially when they are....................................over there >.

Our son had a little bee that would visit him on his 3rd floor balcony/porch at the old house where he has an apartment. He's posted pictures of it sitting on his finger and all. I'm not that brave.

Honeybees aren't dangerous as long as they don't feel threatened. I've sat with my camera in a patch of wildflowers for an hour or more with dozens of bees all around me. As long as you don't move too quickly or slap at them or something, they totally ignore you.

Wasps are different and although they won't sting either if you remain still while they check you out, they do have a somewhat nastier disposition. Unlike honeybees, they are predators, so they may be more aggressive and may be quicker to sting. I really hate this time of year when the yellowjackets become more active and aggressive.

Honeybees aren't dangerous as long as they don't feel threatened. I've sat with my camera in a patch of wildflowers for an hour or more with dozens of bees all around me. As long as you don't move too quickly or slap at them or something, they totally ignore you.

This is true. I'll tell you this - they *hate* the weed whacker. They come swarming out and buzz like maniacs. DH is looking for a push mower.

Wasps are different and although they won't sting either if you remain still while they check you out, they do have a somewhat nastier disposition. Unlike honeybees, they are predators, so they may be more aggressive and may be quicker to sting. I really hate this time of year when the yellowjackets become more active and aggressive.

I was attending some business classes at the local Catholic High School in the late afternoon. Right in front was the bus stop along with a huge nest of yellow jackets. The city FINALLY did something about them. Even the bus drivers refused to stop there and open the doors. Nasty critters! :angel:

The turkey whose photo I posted has left the territory. This morning's visitor was a juvenile Ibis looking lonely as he poked his long bill into the soft mud. They usually travel in groups and the adults are white.

Attachments

• Youg Ibis Hunting 8 13 2016.jpg
    Youg Ibis Hunting 8 13 2016.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 80
Back
Top Bottom